Eric Prime

THOR: LOVE AND THUNDER WEEKEND THREAD | The hammer swings down with 144.2 DOM, 302 WW, the 3rd-biggest 2022 opening | Minions 46.1, TGM 15.5, Elvis 11.2, JWD 8.6

45 minutes ago, WayneBorg said:

How much do you think Minions 2 will end up domestically by end of its run? 

Imo, Minions hits a 3x plus the extra holiday Monday gross. So I'm going to say it finishes around 335-340.

Edited by baumer
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, stripe said:

5 movies confortably over 300M, one of them possibly reaching top5 DOM. Solid runs this Summer!

The problem is the void besides these 5 films. Only other 4 movies will gross over 100M (Lightyear, Elvis, Nope, Bullet Train).

Funny enough, none of the movie can make it between 200m~300m. The last movie with 200m range was V2. 

5 minutes ago, stripe said:

5 movies confortably over 300M, one of them possibly reaching top5 DOM. Solid runs this Summer!

The problem is the void besides these 5 films. Only other 4 movies will gross over 100M (Lightyear, Elvis, Nope, Bullet Train).

Super Pets could make a run at $100M+ too, and get there comfortably if it opens to like $35M+

But yeah, the drop-off after the top 5 is steep

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Borobudur said:

Funny enough, none of the movie can make it between 200m~300m. The last movie with 200m range was V2. 

Since last May, only one movie has opened between $50-$70M, four from $70 to $107, and seven over $107 

BO is being propped up by the tentpoles  at the top, lot of weakness the further down you go 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, M37 said:

Super Pets could make a run at $100M+ too, and get there comfortably if it opens to like $35M+

I'd actually be surprised if Super Pets didn't make 100M+ DOM. Should open to 30M+ for sure as the absolute floor. I think it's going to do 120M to 130M DOM with an OW DOM of 40M~.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, M37 said:

Forgot about Super Pets! Yeah, another strong contender for 100M+ DOM

39 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Will Paws of Fury eat into Minions at all this coming weekend? Or, is everyone expecting that to be a dud at the box office? I assumed it would do something like 15M OW DOM this weekend. Not much but it is direct competition so I guess maybe just a little impact?

A dud tbh. I don't see it doing much better than other animated nonstarters like Wonder Park.

46 minutes ago, stripe said:

i wouldn’t count out Super Pets.

with August so barren, it could leg it out to 100m

48 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Will Paws of Fury eat into Minions at all this coming weekend? Or, is everyone expecting that to be a dud at the box office? I assumed it would do something like 15M OW DOM this weekend. Not much but it is direct competition so I guess maybe just a little impact?

I don’t think it gets to $10M for OW, and will likely play to really young kids, families who have already seen or don’t care for Minions. Minimal impact 

42 minutes ago, M37 said:

Since last May, only one movie has opened between $50-$70M, four from $70 to $107, and seven over $107 

BO is being propped up by the tentpoles  at the top, lot of weakness the further down you go 

Updating this, because disparity is even more stark: 

$50-$70 = 1 (NTTD)

$70-$91 = 3 (F9, BW, Venom)

$91-$127 = 1 (Minions 2) 

$127- $150 = 4 (TGM, Batman, Thor, JWD)

Over $150 = 2 (DS:MoM, SM:NWH)

Would be better with Opening Week gross to adjust for seasons, might do that later 

• Like 1

This is Super Pets done right tbh. This and Baby Looney Tunes were very effective "I'm sick, home from school, and my only other TV options are Dora or Good Morning America" programing when I was a kid.

Well it's Monday morning here in Toronto and I thought why not have a few more random thoughts?

As I mentioned yesterday I saw the movie Elvis and thoroughly enjoyed it and got quite emotional in some scenes. We don't have traditional record sales anymore since you can just stream or download anything you want these days. But Elvis Presley is still the number one selling solo artist of all time maybe even the number one selling musical act of all time I'd have to look that up. The guy was a legend musically but one thing that they didn't touch upon in the film, and I understand why because there's only so much you can hit in a two and a half hour movie, is how charitable he was.

I learned this stuff when I was a kid and obviously in the 70s we didn't have the internet but little stories like this would pop up from time to time. For example, Elvis would take care of his friends by buying them cars and houses. Elvis also did this with other people. He Paid their houses off covered hospital bills put them through school and so on. I know there's other artists like George Michael who have done stuff like that but that's one of the things that made Elvis so amazing.

I watched Hansel and Gretel vampire hunters last night. I'd never seen it before and I enjoyed it but two females in the film stood out to me for their beauty. Famke Jensen seems like she never ages. She looked pretty much the same in that movie as she did in rounders and deep blue sea. And of course Gemma Arterton is just a stunningly beautiful woman. Again really enjoyable movie but couldn't keep my eyes off of those two.

I don't think the MCU is declining or is dying or whatever. They're basically the only studio that are 100% event films every single time they release one. Yes they've had duds like the eternals but they are so few and far between.

Without breaking any moderation rules I'll just say that I looked up salaries for certain positions and an $80,000 salary for the low end of work is actually an upper echelon salary both in the United States and canada. I can only tell you my experience as i used to work at Bell mobility, the telecommunications company here in canada, and I made around 50 Grand a year up until the day our department was let go. We didn't have benefits, we DID work in an air conditioning building and we could get a bonus at the end of the year. And that's all I have to say about that.

I also watched Rambo part 3 over the weekend just because I felt like getting my Stallone fix. It's not as good as part 2 obviously not nearly as good as part one but my God Sylvester Stallone was basically a chiseled piece of granite in that film. He was an absolute Beast and the action in that movie was so over the top but so much fun in so many ways. I remember being so excited to see that movie when I was 16 years old and I thought it was going to smash all kinds of box office records that summer. It ended up basically tanking here in North America but it still did pretty well internationally.

I'm really curious to see how well Avatar part 2 does. For those of you that were here are on the other forums when the original came out do you remember how well it did second or third weekend because the

week before had a giant snow storm? It's second weekend it dropped 2% the third week was 9%. I can't remember which one it was but still an incredibly small drop for its first 3 weeks.

And it's good to see people back at the movie theaters now. When I went yesterday it was packed people were buying popcorn and pizza and M&Ms and it made me feel like it was pre-covid a little bit so that is always good to see.

Anyway happy Monday to everybody.

• Like 9