Eric Prime

THOR: LOVE AND THUNDER WEEKEND THREAD | The hammer swings down with 144.2 DOM, 302 WW, the 3rd-biggest 2022 opening | Minions 46.1, TGM 15.5, Elvis 11.2, JWD 8.6

8 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

From Deadline Hollywood

Spider-Man: Far From Home, off a $185M 6-day opening (of which Fri-Sun made $92.5M) ended its run at $390.5M, and industry sources this morning believe Thor 4 can emulate that final US/Canada gross.

I see the alcohol consumption at Deadline Office is as high as ever.

• Haha 10

11 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

I see the alcohol consumption at Deadline Office is as high as ever.

I don't know why but for some reason  reading this post it just conjured up that scene in planes trains and automobiles where John Candy's driving on the wrong side of the road and the couple next to him in the car are saying you're going the wrong way and then John Candy and Steve Martin start saying that they're drunk and they put the pretend bottle to their mouth and say okay. Again I don't know why I conjured up that image but you made me laugh today brain bug.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

46 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

From Deadline Hollywood

Spider-Man: Far From Home, off a $185M 6-day opening (of which Fri-Sun made $92.5M) ended its run at $390.5M, and industry sources this morning believe Thor 4 can emulate that final US/Canada gross.

Won't be too shocking tbh, but 350-375M more likely.

8 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

The people who saved the lives of millions work in a completely different industry from the people who work in VFX. This is like saying someone shouldn't get depressed from going through a break-up because they never experienced something as awful as the holocaust.

Fair. You got my drift though. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, BruiseCruise said:

Updated exits on Far From Home:  ComScore/Screen Engine’s PostTrak shows a 90% positive and a stellar 76% def recommend.

Not sure why Thor with much worse reception would be able to replicate that

I can imagine Love and Thunder being a better movie but with the audience reception it makes it highly unlikely.

1 hour ago, Issac Newton said:

From Deadline Hollywood

FFH is an actual 6 day gross (no previews, Tue day opening), so to comp to Thor you’d have to use 5 days + previews, which will only be at like ~$170M. Beyond that, legs are just weaker overall, plus less positive WOM

Still think $360 is attainable, Sat & Sun were reasonable in context, but $390 isn’t happening 

Effective 3day for FFH is in 140-145 ballpark from various method, so right where Thor is. But FFH effective true OWeek off a fri open maybe 177ish, vs Thor 163ish, so 7M behind at end of first weekdays after ~7M ahead previews. Then add like 190M vs 150-160M, widening gap to 40-50M.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, M37 said:

For DM3 (which I think is a better comp than original Minions), it made $98M following a $33.6 second weekend (2.9x). If Rise of Gru follows suit, would add another $130-$135M for a ~$335 finish, but weekdays are softer post-pandemic, so maybe knock $10M off from that total. (If it does play like Minions, then only $110M more for $320, again knocking of ~$10M)

While final values have uncertainty, the order of finish for summer is pretty much set after this weekend 

1. TGM ($700M+)

2. DSMoM ($413M)

3. JWD (~$370M)

4. Thor L&T ($340-$360M)

5. Minions 2 ($310-$330M)

700 + for TGM??
i really love it but it needs sub 15 % drop every week from now and i think it won´t get it

1 hour ago, baumer said:

I don't know why but for some reason  reading this post it just conjured up that scene in planes trains and automobiles where John Candy's driving on the wrong side of the road and the couple next to him in the car are saying you're going the wrong way and then John Candy and Steve Martin start saying that they're drunk and they put the pretend bottle to their mouth and say okay. Again I don't know why I conjured up that image but you made me laugh today brain bug.

TimelyHighlevelDeinonychus-max-1mb.gif

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, setna said:

700 + for TGM??
i really love it but it needs sub 15 % drop every week from now and i think it won´t get it

not necessarily.

a labour day weekend hard push in IMAX could add 10-15 million in the first few weeks of September if they really want to push it. 
we already know it’s not coming out on streaming for at least 4 months, so they’ve got time on their side. 

One more $1B+ WW grosser left or so, and then the entire Top 50 highest grossing films (worldwide) will all consist of only billion dollar films. 🙆🏻‍♀️💁🏻‍♀️🤑💸💰

And I applaud all those $1B+ films. Even those that had re-releases to get there. 👏🏻 🥳

Edited by MrFanaticGuy34
  • Like 1