efialtes76

Dailies(Week July 18-21)

1 hour ago, TwoMisfits said:

I think we're missing families, but the more mature viewers have now joined the 13-45s in being back in full force.  So, it's really only one big demo, the Saturday/Sunday afternoon demo of families, that's not here.

And part of the reason they aren't there is probably no longer Covid, but the lack of affordability for the demo that needs to buy 3-6 tickets/movie in a time of high inflation.  They are the only ones that don't benefit from a subscription plan or discount plan of any type...so, they feel prices more than any other demo...

I will agree that families are a large part of it (though Sundays still strong), but also a lot of casual adult viewers too. Whether a cost/time concern, or just having just broken that routine and not picking back up, Saturdays remain weak 

1 hour ago, The Dark Alfred said:

On the day TGM cracked the all-time top 10, it posted another fantastic Tuesday hold. I honestly can't see how it misses 700m, it's constantly in Avatar territory with dailies and more than a month of summer plus LD still to come.

Biggest domestic 8th Tuesday:

1 Jan 1, 2013 Lincoln $2,463,323 1,966    $1,253     $136,652,420
2 Feb 9, 2010 Avatar     $2,025,264      3,000 $675 $633,621,035
3 Jul 19, 2022 Top Gun: Maverick $2,002,436 3,292 $608 $622,089,456

Avatar made 23.6m on the weekend following its 8th Tuesday. TGM is looking to make 9-10m. It'll be sitting at about 635m after Sunday, and 65m is an awful lot of ground to cover once your weekends have dipped into seven figures, summer weekdays or not. 

• Like 2

Crawdads is having really nice dailies during the week because its audience is older is for the most part. That bodes well for its staying power though, $60M+ is more than possible now since it won't have any real competition until Don't Worry Darling.

No, it won't.  This was just people willing to pay $5, but not $15, per person to see the movie.  

It was still a large bump for a Tuesday. Last I checked, audiences seemed pleased with the movie. With decent WOM, it could hold well this weekend. 

Families aren't really showing up, so it's not a big issue.

I mean, there was:

Lightyear - catastrophic fail

Minions - big success, but thanks to 13-25, not really hugely family driven

Paws of Fury - fail

Super-Pets - TBD - I think it's success is gonna ride on how much they can get 13+ to show up...although it will still be above Paws

I imagine, regardless of how well Super Pets does, that it will obliterate Paws. But I get the feeling Super Pets will also come in below expectations. And is California gonna be masking up again? That could keep families away from theaters.

1 hour ago, Bishop54 said:

It only gained 8% while most other movies went up 20+%.

Compare it to last Tuesday, it had the smallest week to week drop of -19%. 

I've been feeling an opening similar to The Bad Guys for a while re: Super-Pets tbh. Whether WB will see that as a win is up for debate, they probably had higher expectations initially between the DC brand and the starry voice cast.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Avatar made 23.6m on the weekend following its 8th Tuesday. TGM is looking to make 9-10m. It'll be sitting at about 635m after Sunday, and 65m is an awful lot of ground to cover once your weekends have dipped into seven figures, summer weekdays or not. 

What are you talking about? Avatar did 760M not 700M If you mean Black Panther which did 700 and TGM is catching that one and is 45M behind and catching at over 1M per day. 700 is a real chance. 760M which Avatar made is not. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

"Green range is confirmed. Setting time to target 2 minutes 15 seconds" is all I have to say to that.

Ok, a bit more... Avatar made 80m from week 9 onwards (plus 10m second run after that). 90m total. Top Gun has to do 65m with LD and a potential re-release coming.  

Edited by The Dark Alfred
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

That sounds like a...

mission impossible GIF

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I imagine TGM would maybe need to pull sub-20% drop this weekend to make a case for $700m still being alive (still banking on LD expansion but not including any theoretical awards season release -- I guess they could pull an IMAX re-release like with Gravity).

On 7/20/2022 at 6:29 AM, vale9001 said:

Didn't know Apple bought the vod rights for this. Is it coming in september? 

On 7/20/2022 at 7:15 AM, wildphantom said:

nor did I? 
what a bizarre time we’re in. 

‘Go see it in theatres now, but it’s coming free to our app soon!’  Lmao 

It isn't coming free it is a paid VOD rental/purchase, the same way they market Jurassic World 3 or Elvis, nowhere does it say free just that is it coming or out now. 

Some of you all just hate streaming with such passion that it messes with your reading comprehension 😜 

Edited by Potiki
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

Paramount might kill TGM legs next week by officially announcing streaming date at their earnings call

It's not 100% guarantee it will happen next week but Bullet Train may hurt TGM the week after next (not as bad as Thor) and when you say kill legs, can you specify please?

TGM last 7days (D48-54) is 20M. Same period:

Avatar 32.5M, added 116M (3.57x)

BP 13M, added 33M (2.54x)

NWH 12.5M, added 54M (4.32x)

Frozen 19M, added 82M (4.32x)  

TGM is 78M away, so it needs 3.9x — or if you want to pencil in 10M of expansion, just 3.4x. Clearly possible to hit, clearly possible to miss. Going to remain in limbo at least until bullet train wknd.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Legion and Thunder said:

TGM last 7days (D48-54) is 20M. Same period:

Avatar 32.5M, added 116M (3.57x)

BP 13M, added 33M (2.54x)

NWH 12.5M, added 54M (4.32x)

Frozen 19M, added 82M (4.32x)  

TGM is 78M away, so it needs 3.9x — or if you want to pencil in 10M of expansion, just 3.4x. Clearly possible to hit, clearly possible to miss. Going to remain in limbo at least until bullet train wknd.

I guess I will also note their weekly drop (to the d55-61 window):

Avatar 34.5M, +6% (this was pres week)

BP 8M, -39%

NWH 11.3M, -10% (Super Bowl/valentines week)

Frozen I have to redo entirely since it had 5 days of limited release I forgot about. D48-54 was 15M, added 4.57x. Following week:

15.5M, +3% (mlk mon)

So most of those comps had a holiday immediately upcoming which is inflating their multi a bit. If TGM just drops like 22% then 20% it will still have a dicey road.

Edited by Legion and Thunder
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Potiki said:

It isn't coming free it is a paid VOD rental/purchase, the same way they market Jurassic World 3 or Elvis, nowhere does it say free just that is it coming or out now. 

Some of you all just hate streaming with such passion that it messes with your reading comprehension 😜 

So JWD is available for free to Apple TV users? 

18 minutes ago, Borobudur said:

So JWD is available for free to Apple TV users? 

No it costs extra, same for Elvis and Crawdads in the future. 

It just happens to be available on Apple TV which is a digital market for movies same as Amazon, Vudu, Google Play etc.