Issac Newton

Weekend - 08/05-08/07 | Actuals: Bullet Train 30, Super Pets 11, Nope 8.5, Thor 7.7, Minions 7.1 | TGM sinks Titanic! 7th-biggest film DOM | Bodies Bodies Bodies earns 37.8K PTA

50 minutes ago, Blankments said:

Bullet train is bigger or equal to most of the movies you listed lol and is the only that explicitly targets the generic man demographic and older

and yes the third act of bullet train is the weakest part; my point is more on a basic level this movie should not have been made with the intent of a big cgi finale

Why act like you know more than film industry executives and creatives

Edited by BestPicturePlutoNash

Opening an original movie is becoming harder and harder. Some end up getting to amazing totals thanks to terrific WOM (Elvis, The Black Phone) but others can't survive because of mixed WOM coming from low OWs (Nope, Bullet Train).

1 hour ago, Dandeak2000 said:

Deadline are saying $6.6M for the weekend for Top Gun: Maverick in its 11th weekend

Biggest 11th Wide Weekends

1. Titanic - $19,633,056 - 27/02/1998
  2. Avatar - $13,655,274 - 26/02/2010
  3. Beverly Hills Cop - $7,770,241 - 15/02/1985
  4. E.T. the Extra Terrestrial - $7,620,888 - 20/08/1982
  5. Home Alone - $7,195,573 - 25/01/1991
  6. Mrs. Doubtfire - $6,916,809 - 04/02/1994
  7. Frozen - $6,872,811 - 07/02/2014
  8. Top Gun: Maverick - $6,600,000 - 05/08/2022

Specify wide weekends because I always find it weird sites like the-numbers and BOM compare the 11th wide weekend of Top Gun: Maverick against the 7th or 8th wide weekend of awards films sometimes even less if they have been in limited release for well over a month.

Beverly Hills Cop is a 4-day holiday weekend gross so its 3-day was lower. Aladdin (1992) did $7,687,184 in its 11th wide weekend.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Opening an original movie is becoming harder and harder. Some end up getting to amazing totals thanks to terrific WOM (Elvis, The Black Phone) but others can't survive because of mixed WOM coming from low OWs (Nope, Bullet Train).

I mean…hasn’t that always been the case?

• Like 4

2 hours ago, ringedmortality said:

Nah it would have if Disney didn't have to let theatrical Fox movies stream on HBOMAX

Really? So HBO Max is going to be streaming Avatar 2 next year? Thats wild lol

25 minutes ago, eddyxx said:

Really? So HBO Max is going to be streaming Avatar 2 next year? Thats wild lol

Well, the deal between 20th Century and HBO Max ends this year. Avatar 2 is still a 2022 movie, but the streaming release is in 2023, so it's kinda unsure how it will turn out for that one.

4 hours ago, Ozymandias said:

It probably would have if The Predator(2018) didn't put the IP on life support.

Yeah The Predator is like 85% the reason Prey didn't go to theaters

But I wish the studio would have realized that The Predator flopped because it fucking shocked, not because people aren't interested 

Edited by Pinacolada

3 hours ago, ringedmortality said:

Nah it would have if Disney didn't have to let theatrical Fox movies stream on HBOMAX

This excuse makes no sense to me when they've let PLENTY of Fox movies go to theaters and stream on HBO Max first

Edited by Pinacolada

2 hours ago, Jiffy said:

Beverly Hills Cop is a 4-day holiday weekend gross so its 3-day was lower. Aladdin (1992) did $7,687,184 in its 11th wide weekend.

Beverly Hills Cop's number is from the-numbers, so it could be off.

Aladdin I assumed had one weekend of limited release but it does seem to have gone wide in its third weekend with no showings in weekend 2, I'll get that changed

4 hours ago, CJohn said:

I wouldn’t call Elvis an original movie when it essentially shares the same DNA as IP - material audiences are already somewhat familiar with.

If it was a movie about a fictional rock star then sure

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, snarkmachine said:

I wouldn’t call Elvis an original movie when it essentially shares the same DNA as IP - material audiences are already somewhat familiar with.

If it was a movie about a fictional rock star then sure

Adaptations of historical events/figures is the most interesting grey zone for “original.” 

Edited by Legion By Night

14 minutes ago, Nero said:

Black Panther says hi

They mean the late sep rerelease, not avatwo.   

Though in fairness, BP will probably be the next movie to 200M and possibly the next Ow over 50M.

7 hours ago, Eric the Tank Engine said:

@Blankments @WrathOfHan You nincompoops, the idea was that we update our trailer findings the first weekend of every month. That makes the most sense and cleans up the slate for a new month.

giphy.gif?cid=790b761154cc8a74847cd1fc2b

as the person who STARTED this trend, I've always just done it closest to the last day of the month lol; don't tell me how to do my own thing!!!

• Like 1