YM!

Ticket to Paradise Weekend Thread (and also Black Adam): Adam 67 (Rock's biggest leading debut), Paradise 16.3, Smile 8.3, Halloween 8 (80% drop!), Lyle 4.2 | Banshees 45K PTA, second-best of the year

I don’t know when people are gonna move past the fact that not every movie is gonna make the same money as marvel and smaller movies can still be a success as long as you make good movies and keep budgets reasonable. 

Shazam’s first movie with a budget of around 110m made 366m worldwide and after everything it ended up turning a profit of 74m. While it’s not Marvel money people need to understand that there’s no other universe like Marvel so seeing snarky remarks from certain users as some big gotcha moment about DC is dumb. 

So sure, BA is probably not gonna make any money (or maybe it will make a bit when all is said and done )but this is a perfect example for  being smarter with budgets going forward to make sure they maximize profits. They can see that the rock can put a certain amount of people in seats but maybe not enough to justify giving him a 200m budget, and maybe give him and his team some help with quality control going forward. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, excel1 said:

LOL at Deadline referencing THE MUMMY RETURNS's - enormous - opening day from 21 & 1/2 years ago!

Wow, Mummy Returns was the #2 OD at the time!   

BA OD should be ~150. How time flies.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

This soft reboot stuff from the Snyder-verse is a huge mess.

By the end of 2023 we'll know how bad it is. Or the mixed results will confuse WB execs even more. :sparta:

It’s madness that we’re still talking about the the DCEU as if it’s some sort of chaotic, disjointed, and visionless mess. It’s 2022, damn near 7 years after BVS and it still feels like it hasn’t picked up steam.

Major storylines and characters just dropped like flies: no Cyborg, Flash is gonna be recast, Apoklypse stuff scrapped, Legion of Doom post credit lead to nothing, Deathstroke gone, the Joker’s gone, Harley Quinn helping to kill Robin probably scrubbed from continuity, the Original Suicide Squad gone. Audiences can tell when the Universe-Building shoutouts are meaningless and I sense this is why DC haven’t seen the financial benefits of having a Universe.

Also they burned through Black Mask, Zsazz, Batgirl, The Question, Black Canary, and a character that’s often Batman’s daughter in an unnecessarily R-Rated film that flopped. BOP could’ve been positioned to be a billion dollar grosser imo. 2nd best DCEU film though.

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, cax16 said:

-snip-

Too much logic for the internet and entertainment industry!! Keep budgets in line? Success based off genres not ecosystem as a while. Crazy talk. Just crazy talk!

the breakfast club love GIF

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Krissykins said:

Why are they using it as a comp then, if the Rock didn’t star? 

It’s actually not that much worse than Doctor Strange 2’s -81.1% lol. 

(I’m not saying it’s good lol)

The people predicting an 80% drop aren’t getting it though. 

Ticket to Paradise underperforming compared to the UK (£2.8m opening beating Don’t Worry Darling ie equivalent of $28m). But it’s going higher than the $13m deadline number with a $5.5m Friday. 

Ticket to Paradise opened in Uk on Wednesday.

15 minutes ago, Legion By Night said:

Wow, Mummy Returns was the #2 OD at the time!   

BA OD should be ~150. How time flies.

2001 was an unforgettable box office year. Mega-hyped openings of Hannibal, Mummy, Pearl Harbor, Apes, Jurassic Park 3,  Rush Hour 2. Breakouts with Shrek and Fast & Furious. Then Potter, LOTR, Oceans 11 in winter.

After Pearl Harbor, Mummy Returns was probably the most industry hyped of the summer group. People were pumped for The Rock's film debut. 

Edited by excel1
  • Like 2

In fact, I think this is a good time to remind people about how each percentage point matters a lot more for big drops. Each of the following drops lead to weekends with the same ratio of size:  

87% vs 81%  

81% vs 72%  

72% vs 59.5%  

59.5% vs 41%

41% vs 13.5%  

Ends doing ~ a 78.5% drop vs Kills 70.75% almost as big a difference as Kills vs H2018’s 59% drop.

Yeah the popularity/goodwill from The Mummy (which alongside The Matrix benefited from being the "cool" alternative to The Phantom Menace that spring/summer) is why Returns scored bigger.

Claiming the Rock was why would be like giving credit to a certain 5-second post credits cameo to Black Adam's opening.

Edited by filmnerdjamie
  • Like 3

Curious what Banshees of Inisherin's PTA is going to be. It should clear 30k but I don't think it has the demand TÁR did for 40k. I was gonna see it tonight at Lincoln Square before work went late and it only had about 20-25 seats sold for the 9:15 show when I cancelled (it's on two screens so earlier shows were doing much better). The 10:45 show has about 40 seats sold so that's pretty good.

Edited by WrathOfHan

3 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

A Tuesday actually, but still. $28m over 6 days it is not hitting in the US. 

Might not be too far off tbh — let’s see how far off deadline fri is

Edited by Legion By Night

1 hour ago, filmnerdjamie said:

Yeah the popularity/goodwill from The Mummy (which alongside The Matrix benefited from being the "cool" alternative to The Phantom Menace that spring/summer) is why Returns scored bigger.

Claiming the Rock was why would be like giving credit to a certain 5-second post credits cameo to Black Adam's opening.

The Mummy 1999 is basically a perfect, flawless popcorn adventure blockbuster film which fired at a high level on all cylinders - likable leads well-written and acted, action, humor, romance, scares, music, special effects. Film holds up tremendously too. 

Where the heck is a 1950s set MUMMY 3 starring Frazer and Weisz?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Curious what Banshees of Inisherin's PTA is going to be. It should clear 30k but I don't think it has the demand TÁR did for 40k. I was gonna see it tonight at Lincoln Square before work went late and it only had about 20-25 seats sold for the 9:15 show when I cancelled (it's on two screens so earlier shows were doing much better). The 10:45 show has about 40 seats sold so that's pretty good.

Buzz seems very low for it, oddly. Searchlight + some of the best reviews for an American film this year. Yet it doesn't feel like it popped. Maybe it should have opened later in season with more festival momentum? Or November 4th? Pretty empty except Armageddon Time's wide expansion, One Piece's wide release. Bardo will be very limited due to Netflix. Causeaway because Apple, and buzz is even lower on that despite JLaw.

• Like 1