YM!

Ticket to Paradise Weekend Thread (and also Black Adam): Adam 67 (Rock's biggest leading debut), Paradise 16.3, Smile 8.3, Halloween 8 (80% drop!), Lyle 4.2 | Banshees 45K PTA, second-best of the year

13 minutes ago, GOGODanca said:

October 2019 DC had crazy momentum with 3 really well received movies in a row and they've pissed all that away since then

Unfortunately seems that for DC - even well-received DC films don't do that well. So why not take risks and make films that may appease crowd and Critics may not like? Since critics look really bias in some cases against them.

The Suicide Squad and Shazam were incredible, solid movies but did not do well at the BO for various reasons. Hoping Black Adam will do well - it is a genuine crowdpleaser that deserved at least 60 - 65% RT critics score.

Edited by TigerPaw
  • Like 1

Same preview to OW multi as Eternals get it to 57m

Venom 2 multi gets it to 58m

The Batman multi gets it to 59m

I cannot see it having a multi as high as Shang Chi (which has the highest multi of any SH movie since the pandemic began except for New Mutants) which was 8.58x. That multi gets Black Adam to 65m but Shang Chi had Labour day softening its Sunday drop. So for me 65m is the cap and 57-59m is far more likely

• Like 2

1 hour ago, charlie Jatinder said:

From $1M previews I would have thought $12M or so if I didn't saw FRI pre-sales. BUT having seen FRI pre-sales, well may be even $20M+ can happen.

and what is your take on Black Adam after seeing FRI pre-sales of BA?

Yeah, high $50s/low $60s is the BA range, which will make it only the 3rd film to post an OW in the $50-$70M range in post pandemic times (LY & NTTD), and likely the first in the $56-$70M range. Can it break the $60M curse?

I once thought BA can be the only movie that 200m range in 2022 but this 7,6m preview really take that hope away. In fact, with 60m opening, I can't even sure if the movie can beat Elvis as the 2nd highest grossing WB film of the year.   

5 minutes ago, The Dark Alfred said:

That is very poor for BLACK ADAM. decent for TICKETS, already looking at 100m overseas.

Now curious if SMILE finishes above HALLOWEEN, hopefully both over 10m. 

Last year HK did 14M on second weekend after a 1.7M Friday.

10M after a 1M Friday seems very unrealistic...

2 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

I expected BA to be 40-50 range, so its overperforming my before the sales started expectations by around $5-10M. A week ago looked like may come in expected range, but the leaks made good bump in sales.

Any update on how Friday sales are looking today? Wonder what kind of legs this one will show. Perhaps audience reception is akin to Venom on a smaller scale? 

lol there are people REALLY think that it's good for BA? Logic lost on some. Show me a film that grossed 50m+ LESS than its budget that was considered good. It's not even going to reach ELVIS's total. Hopefully overseas it will do better, I dig The Rock.

Edited by The Dark Alfred
  • Like 3
  • Knock It Off 1

BA started tracking in the 70s, it went down to 60s and the ultra conservative studio estimate was 60m OW. If it doesn't even hit that, that's just bad. That said, it's only a preview number, see how the weekend holds up, if it climbs over 60m, that's ok, definitely not "good". The reviews are pretty bad. This franchise is dead unless it breaks out in some oveeseas territories.

Edited by The Dark Alfred
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, The Dark Alfred said:

BA started tracking in the 70s, it went down to 60s and the ultra conservative studio estimate was 60m OW. If it doesn't even hit that, that's just bad. That said, it's only a preview number, see how the weekend holds up, if it climbs over 60m, that's ok, definitely not "good". The reviews are pretty bad. This franchise is dead unless it breaks out in some oveeseas territories.

According to this Variety article, BA was projected to do $328 million domestic. I knew they were full of it when they predicted 130M for Halloween Ends

https://variety.com/vip/2022s-last-h...-2-1235388447/