John Marston

Weekdays Thread (11/14-17)

11 hours ago, Legion By Night said:

70 *is* strong. 

10 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Always look for 2nd SAT drop. 

Yes to both of these. To get to a $70M second weekend for BPWF, going to need a $30M+ Saturday, which would be -46% vs the opening Saturday, and to get to $75M requires ~$33M/-42% Here's the recent MCU 2nd Saturday track record

• Thor L&T = -56.1%
  • Strange MoM = -54.2%
  • Spider-Man NWH  = -57.1% (Christmas Day)
  • Eternals = -50.8%
  • Shang-Chi = -33.8%

Essentially, the bigger they are, the harder they fall, in that it requires a very high level of anticipation to reach a $100M+ opening, and its extremely difficult to retain even half of that surge/demand (-50%) into the second weekend. Occasionally we get an exception, like Batman's -35% 2nd Sat in March - where IMO the DC brand was so toxic that there a lot of initial hesitation, as people skipped the opening weekend before good WOM pushed them off the fence for week 2 - but there's really nothing to suggest BPWF is poised to be one of those exceptions. Its daily grosses have been right in the range you'd expect for this size opening, unlike the original BP, where daily numbers showed clearly that a second surge was building during that first Tue/Wed/Thu

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Reed121 said:

8? How..Multiverse did 9 and their Tuesday’s were the same

May weekdays a little bit stronger than November; schools aren’t out then, but they are winding down for colleges and often HS seniors, so more flexibility. This week a lot of people are grinding, finishing things up before the upcoming Thanksgiving holiday break where they’ll have more free time for movies

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Maybe those that didn't see BP2 in OW decided to wait until Thanksgiving break. I know some who said they were doing that. More and more schools have the entire week off nowadays.

The next 10 days will be interesting. Most big November movies open either the first week of November (Doctor Strange, Ragnarok) or the third week just before Thanksgiving (Catching Fire, Frozen 2, Fantastic Beasts 2). It will be interesting to see which group BP2 performs more like.

41 minutes ago, Reed121 said:

8? How..Multiverse did 9 and their Tuesday’s were the same

Different audience demo in a different season with different ticket prices, different movie rewatchability, and different theater availability (since a few posters have mentioned theaters have gone back to shorter weekdays).

Civil War let us know a good, well received supers movie doesn't always display the legs we expect.  We'll keep seeing how WF does...

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, M37 said:

May weekdays a little bit stronger than November; schools aren’t out then, but they are winding down for colleges and often HS seniors, so more flexibility. This week a lot of people are grinding, finishing things up before the upcoming Thanksgiving holiday break where they’ll have more free time for movies

I expected the better word of mouth and soft Tuesday increase to counter that. 

I’ve been looking at Thor Ragnarok’s first week numbers in November. It dropped 43% on Wednesday but then increased 14% (nearly a million) on Thursday. Is there any particular reason it increased so much on Thursday?

7 minutes ago, Reed121 said:

I expected the better word of mouth and soft Tuesday increase to counter that. 

I’ve been looking at Thor Ragnarok’s first week numbers in November. It dropped 43% on Wednesday but then increased 14% (nearly a million) on Thursday. Is there any particular reason it increased so much on Thursday?

Veteran’s day was sat, so observed fri, so th night was stronger as it was partial holiday eve 

40 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Different audience demo in a different season with different ticket prices, different movie rewatchability, and different theater availability (since a few posters have mentioned theaters have gone back to shorter weekdays).

Civil War let us know a good, well received supers movie doesn't always display the legs we expect.  We'll keep seeing how WF does...

I was thinking that we don't have too many huge blockbusters with great WOM that have meh multipliers or fall short of lofty expectations. And I was thinking that Civil War was the only MCU movie that falls into that category. Off the top of my head, HPDH2 also falls into that category. At least we know BP2 will have a substantially higher multi than the anemic 2.25-2.28X's that those two movies had.

Black Panther should enjoy a decent drop next weekend with both the Thanksgiving/Black Friday holiday and the fact none of the weekend's openers look to have much traction to them. Even if it drops 60% this weekend, wouldn't rule out a $40M+ third weekend.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Black Panther should enjoy a decent drop next weekend with both the Thanksgiving/Black Friday holiday and the fact none of the weekend's openers look to have much traction to them. Even if it drops 60% this weekend, wouldn't rule out a $40M+ third weekend.

Weirdly, with so many openers, even if none big, it will still suffer the overall screen loss that it would if something big was opening.

I mean, it went from 6-8 screens at my Cinemarks OW, to 4.5-5 screens this weekend, to only preselling 1-1.75 screens next Tuesday since both theaters are opening 6 new movies between Friday and Tuesday...that will hurt just in showing availability b/c it is a long movie...

35 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Shouldn't be less than $50 million based on past Thanksgiving weekends (not including those release the weekend before).

DS and ThRag dropped less than 25% Thanksgiving weekend.

And it should make about 80% of that weekend during the week.

By the end of the second weekend, BP2 should be $380-$390 m dom.

It should be at least $440 m by the time Avatar comes out. It should be between $450-$460 m heading into the Christmas holiday.

$500 m is very iffy and I'm leaning toward no way. But $480 m for its domestic run shouldn't be a problem unless the bottom falls out.