Eric Prime

A Very Queer Thanksgiving Weekend Thread | We Here. We Queer. Move On. | 3-Day/5-Day: Black Panther 45.9/64, Strange World 11.9/18.6, Glass Onion 9.2/13.3, Devotion 6/9, The Menu 5.2/7.3 | Daddy Cameron, please save us!

https://deadline.com/2022/11/box-office-wakanda-forever-strange-world-bones-and-all-timothee-chalamet-thanksgiving-1235180803/

WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON: Early figures and take the 3-day and 5-day with a grain of salt as projections are always off at this point in a Thanksgiving stretch. Disney/Marvel Studios’ Black Panther: Wakanda Forever is leading today with $9.5M, even with yesterday and a $50M Wednesday through Sunday outlook. However, Strange World, as we thought, it falling below its $30M projection with $23M-$27M. Including previews, today looks like around $4.5M to $5M for that animated movie. Encanto last year had an opening day of $7.6M. Apparently, Strange World closed the gap on early matinees with Encanto, and hopefully that momentum continues.

Sony and Black Label Media’s Devotion at 3,405 theaters is seeing $1.7M today with $9M-$10M for the 5-day, ranking third. Searchlight’s The Menu has an estimated $1M for Wednesday for $6M-$8M over 5-days.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Eric Clade said:

So, many numbers dropping...not a lot for theaters to be thankful for...

Wakanda now $50M total 5 day, not $50M+ from morning Deadline...(which was $60M yesterday?)

Strange World now $23-27M 5 day, not $30M+ from morning Deadline...(which was $30-$40M yesterday?)

One bright spot - Devotion now $9-10M 5day, not $7-8M from morning Deadline...I mean, if that's a bright spot...

Weird that Deadline has no idea on Glass Onion's performance...

8 minutes ago, Eric Clade said:

A flat Tuesday to Wednesday for BP2 would be really weird. And a $32-$33 million 3-day total (if the $50 million holds up for 5 days) would be even weirder and REALLY bad. I mean a 50% drop for the 3-day holiday weekend would be REALLY bad.

1 hour ago, Flopped said:

No, even worse, it was about grown men rimming. 

Cannibals have a proven track record at the box office - Silence of the Lambs was #1 for 5 weeks straight. 

Men rimming? 

damn bro i knew disney were touting the gay character in strange world but i didn't know they went this hard with it.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

So, many numbers dropping...not a lot for theaters to be thankful for...

Wakanda now $50M total 5 day, not $50M+ from morning Deadline...(which was $60M yesterday?)

Strange World now $23-27M 5 day, not $30M+ from morning Deadline...(which was $30-$40M yesterday?)

One bright spot - Devotion now $9-10M 5day, not $7-8M from morning Deadline...I mean, if that's a bright spot...

Weird that Deadline has no idea on Glass Onion's performance...

Did deadline say 50M+? Only projection from them that I saw was 40M over the 5-days. So their 5-day for WF has increased but we really should be looking at 55M+

TREASURE PLANET Thanksgiving weekend, adjusted for inflation: 26.26 million

STRANGE WORLD Thanksgiving weekend, if it follows ENCANTO's daily holds from last year... 26.33 million. 

I know Disney dumped STRANGE WORLD, but they dumped TREASURE PLANET too, back in the day. Yikes.

• Like 4

Speaking of things that are likely stealing a big chunk of the family crowd from theaters, I am watching Disenchanted and nostalgia is 100% carrying it for me, because otherwise... oh boy. This would be doing way better than Strange World in theaters tho. The appeal to young girls is key for these movies.

Ready for all the Fox News right wing nutjobs to say that Strange World flopped because of the LGBT character because "go woke go broke" yet these clowns don't even know the definition of woke.

Disney has barely done any promotion whatsoever for this film, I barely if at all see any promotional trailers for it on TV. 

Disney failed this film.

Edited by Cappoedameron

13 minutes ago, Cappoedameron said:

Ready for all the Fox News right wing nutjobs to say that Strange World flopped because of the LGBT character because "go woke go broke" yet these clowns don't even know the definition of woke.

Disney has barely done any promotion whatsoever for this film, I barely if at all see any promotional trailers for it on TV. 

Disney failed this film.

The best thing to do is block these assholes.

Strange World is bombing because marketing is atrocious. Kids movies need vibrant colors and beautiful moments/locations to sell. That is what appeals to kids. I saw awful posters full of dead colors. For outdoors they used an awful artwork here in Portugal. Awful artworks do seem to be the rule for this movie. Add to that the non-enthusiastic reviews, the weak marketing (I didn't even realize trailers were coming out) and the sci-fi genre (always a hard sell, especially because youngs girls don't care about it) and yeah, this was bound to bomb in any world, pre or post pandemic.