Eric S'ennui

A Very Queer Thanksgiving Weekend Thread | We Here. We Queer. Move On. | 3-Day/5-Day: Black Panther 45.9/64, Strange World 11.9/18.6, Glass Onion 9.2/13.3, Devotion 6/9, The Menu 5.2/7.3 | Daddy Cameron, please save us!

43 minutes ago, snarkmachine said:

Bones and All opening to $2.4m 3-day is just dreadful.

X opened to $4.2m and Pearl opened to $3.1m with zero stars and far less hype than Bones.

The Chalamet is a movie star discourse can probably pipe down a notch now.

It doesn't surprise me though. Who really wants to watch that? A cannibal romance? On Thanksgiving? The gross seems appropriate to me. A fringe gross for a movie with a fringe concept.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, cedec0 said:

The whole idea behind representation is that people like seeing themselves in movies.

It isn't Homophobics for straight people to have a preference for seeing straight romance.  If you remove something that resonates with +95% of people, you've gotta make up for it elsewhere.  Bland or uneventhful isn't gonna cut it.

Bingo. The problem is people in their manufactured outrage are quick to twist this concept into homophobia.

• Like 1
  • Knock It Off 5

So, here's the Strange World audience - weird demo with Blacks absolutely not going, but Asians showing up in force.  So, another example of GA folks only being able to go and target one movie tops/month (with Blacks, and secondarily Hispanics, having already shown up strong for Wakanda Forever?)

https://deadline.com/2022/11/box-office-wakanda-forever-strange-world-bones-and-all-timothee-chalamet-thanksgiving-1235180803/

"Men over 25 were dominant at 33%, but hated it at 66%. Women over 25 were next in attendance at 24% but gave it a 90% grade; then men under 25 at 23% and 83% grade and women under 25 at 21% who gave the pic its best grade at 92%. Diversity demos were 47% Caucasian, 25% Asian, 22% Hispanic and 6% Black. Not a flashy recommend at 55%."

• Like 3

Devotion demo (for as much as it tells us at those low box office numbers)...

"Devotion gets 5 stars on PostTrak, a 90% score. Diversity demos were 61% Caucasian, 19% Black, 11% Hispanic and Latino, and 6% Asian. Men over 25 were large at 49% (88% grade), women over 25 at 33% (95% grade), men under 25 at 12% (76%) and women under 25 at 6% (100%)."

19 minutes ago, cedec0 said:

The whole idea behind representation is that people like seeing themselves in movies.

It isn't Homophobics for straight people to have a preference for seeing straight romance.  If you remove something that resonates with +95% of people, you've gotta make up for it elsewhere.  Bland or uneventhful isn't gonna cut it.

I'm gay, i watched romcoms my whole life and seeing man kissing woman not only never bothered me, but always have the effect that it's supposed to have, i root for the characters happiness.

Why it's different from the other side? At this point some members just like to grab whatever ridiculous excuse to justify this shit. 

There's something at the very base of cinema called empathy, we don't need to see only our own stories to like a story. It's actually pointless to see movies if it's just a reflection of our own experiences. 

And you can understand a purple alien killing a bunch of superhumans and people getting attached by this story, but if it's two man kissing then it's too hard for them? 

And lol if you actually believe +95% of the population is straight, please get out of your bubble.

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

Knives Out series is a brilliant example why Hollywood still needs mainstream adult-oriented original creative filmmaking! As a traditional release, we would be looking at $200m+ gross!

Knives Out 3 should have a winter setting btw. 

Edited by excel1
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, ThomasNicole said:

I'm gay, i watched romcoms my whole life and seeing man kissing woman not only never bothered me, but always have the effect that it's supposed to have, i root for the characters happiness.

Why it's different from the other side? At this point some members just like to grab whatever ridiculous excuse to justify this shit. 

There's something at the very base of cinema called empathy, we don't need to see only our own stories to like a story. It's actually pointless to see movies if it's just a reflection of our own experiences. 

And you can understand a purple alien killing a bunch of superhumans and people getting attached by this story, but if it's two man kissing then it's too hard for them? 

And lol if you actually believe +95% of the population is straight, please get out of your bubble.

Maybe the issue is some of the current LGBTQ2 stories being told are just maybe not interesting to a wider audience?

Maybe the focus should be on the character and their sexuality is second? Like I am a minority and I find the most successful minority characters are people who just play characters then caricatures or type casts or have their whole character based on their race etc.

Like even In Black Panther there some really heavy notes on race, but they built up the lore, the world and such and made interesting characters as well and a good story. 

Like i got attached to Thanos Story even though he is a fictional purple Titan as he had been hyped for over 6 years and Brolin gave an epic performance where he really made feel his emotion and devotion to his goal.

So if Thanos ended up Gay, I dont think people would care ? cause his sexuality is a bit irrelevant to the story?

Edited by Torontofan
  • Like 1

At the end of the day light-year and strange world didn't cut it as movies and just didn't attract audiences.

Poeple are free to voice there outrage on that but it shouldn't overshadow the point mentioned above.

Just because you put X character in a film doesn't mean audiences will come ,you have to start with writing a good film and trying the level best to advertise this film to particularly the audience your aiming for .

We can go on about homophobia but it's not major issue hurting this film .

Tokenisation is a major issue poeple tend to ignore. Company just doing all this to tick diversity boxes and as a result films getting lazy or uneven scripts.

Disney had like zero faith in this. And based on the article we got on them suppressing scripts with LGBT elements at Pixar . It makes sense we got light year and strange world.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Cap said:

Moderation:

hey all! Happy Thanksgiving to those who celebrate it, and happy Thursday to those who don’t. I’m gonna toss this up here now, cause I’m trying to go to sleep due to a turkey coma and having a sleeping fur baby who wants to go to bed.

Queer people exist. Queer people deserve to be seen, just like straight people. If queer representation makes you feel uncomfortable, there’s probably some soul-searching that you should do. If you just don’t get it, or you can’t relate, then maybe figure out why, or maybe go find something that doesn’t interest you and let people who desperately want and need representation Enjoy it.

Because it’s a holiday, because I’m tired, this is my overall verbal warning to everyone. if this continues throughout the weekend, we’re gonna start handing out thread bans. 

Bring in the hammer

banned ban GIF

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

56 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

I think i'm done with this forum for today, it's amazing how everytime a movie with queer representation cames out we have to discuss the most stupid and problematic ideas and somehow it's our fault for having "outrage problems".  

get back in here love me GIF

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Cap said:

Moderation:

hey all! Happy Thanksgiving to those who celebrate it, and happy Thursday to those who don’t. I’m gonna toss this up here now, cause I’m trying to go to sleep due to a turkey coma and having a sleeping fur baby who wants to go to bed.

Queer people exist. Queer people deserve to be seen, just like straight people. If queer representation makes you feel uncomfortable, there’s probably some soul-searching that you should do. If you just don’t get it, or you can’t relate, then maybe figure out why, or maybe go find something that does interest you and let people who desperately want and need representation Enjoy it.

Because it’s a holiday, because I’m tired, this is my overall verbal warning to everyone. if this continues throughout the weekend, we’re gonna start handing out thread bans. 

I am pretty confused what is actually being warned against here