Eric S'ennui

A Very Queer Thanksgiving Weekend Thread | We Here. We Queer. Move On. | 3-Day/5-Day: Black Panther 45.9/64, Strange World 11.9/18.6, Glass Onion 9.2/13.3, Devotion 6/9, The Menu 5.2/7.3 | Daddy Cameron, please save us!

6 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Honestly, I see Indy struggling to break $300M, let alone $500M...and I can see it go a LOT lower (but I want to see the trailer - it doesn't have one yet, does it?)...

It has the great release spot...BUT, that spot doesn't always save a movie...

I mean, TGM officially wiped out the Memorial Day curse.  It had the normally "cursed" spot of the summer and blew everything away...

Why would Indy 5 do under Crystal Skull unadjusted? Genuine question.

1 hour ago, Eric Clade said:

Keep films at their normal price, and then after like they drop down a certain threshold, move the price down to $3-5 a ticket. You keep the premium prices for people who will see a movie right away, it helps boost attendance for films, improves legs, and the longer a movie plays is when the theaters get a bigger share anyways, so it's not like the studios are missing much from the ticket price downgrade. It also helps incentivize buying concessions since the prices are lower. Seems like the perfect solution.

I agree with this. Think I made this argument on a different board back when theater chains were introducing variable pricing back in March (although it was already in place prior). It doesn't make much sense to me for a ticket to the second Friday of Cyrano to cost the same as a ticket to opening night of The Batman, especially when the former was already playing to empty theaters. Might as well lower the price and see if you can get a handful of potential concession-buyers in the door rather than one (or none).

Of course, as you mentioned, theaters get a bigger share of the ticket money on the following weekends, so they'll probably want as much as they can get.

From what I understand the last time this subject came up, it was studios more than theaters which were stopping this from happening (on a large scale). At least according to EC.

Now how everyone involved looks at things like National Cinema Day and if that gives some of them the notion to experiment more, is anyone's guess.

Edited by Porthos

24 minutes ago, Mulder said:

Why would Indy 5 do under Crystal Skull unadjusted? Genuine question.

I agree that Indy 5 will struggle to get much past Indy 4.

I know this post wasn't addressed to me, but I can speak for Indy 5 not making $500 million domestic.

2008 ticket prices=$7.18

Indy 4 gross-$317 m.

Admissions=about 44.15 million.

2022 tickets=$9.17.

Indy 4 adjusted=9.17 x 44.15=$404.85 m.

Some say 2022's prices=$11. Thus the adjusted would be 11 x 44.15=$485.65m.

But we know we can't compare apples to oranges. Otherwise BP2 should have made over BP1's numbers.

There's sins of the father and an unknown fan base. I don't really know what kind of fan base Indy even has any more. There's also an older cast, It's gonna HEAVILY skew older for sure and have pretty much no younger audience. Even TGM had those "cool" (I guess) flight scenes and younger-ish cast members. Plus Cruise has been somewhat popular in the MI franchise in the past several years. I can't think of one single thing that Indy 5 will have that will remotely appeal to those under 35, let alone those under 25. Not one thing at all.

I will be pleasantly surprised if Indy5 makes $300 million domestic and will be absolutely ecstatically shocked if it gets anywhere near $350 domestic.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Eric Clade said:

or that because TGM did it

Just to clarify, I am saying because TGM did it as in, I didn't thought TGM would be doing 500M+ because I wasn't feeling it but GA clearly did.

Indy is similar case, I am not feeling it but GA probably is. Both being loved 80s original.

52 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

I mean, TGM officially wiped out the Memorial Day curse.  It had the normally "cursed" spot of the summer and blew everything away...

Memorial day curse saved the box office for rest of year. Now we having success on Memorial day, box office gods are furious. Disney should have released Strange World on Memorial day and set things right.

Oh they doing Mermaid. That will do. 😛

• Haha 2

26 minutes ago, jedijake said:

I agree that Indy 5 will struggle to get much past Indy 4.

I know this post wasn't addressed to me, but I can speak for Indy 5 not making $500 million domestic.

2008 ticket prices=$7.18

Indy 4 gross-$317 m.

Admissions=about 44.15 million.

2022 tickets=$9.17.

Indy 4 adjusted=9.17 x 44.15=$404.85 m.

Some say 2022's prices=$11. Thus the adjusted would be 11 x 44.15=$485.65m.

But we know we can't compare apples to oranges. Otherwise BP2 should have made over BP1's numbers.

There's sins of the father and an unknown fan base. I don't really know what kind of fan base Indy even has any more. There's also an older cast, It's gonna HEAVILY skew older for sure and have pretty much no younger audience. Even TGM had those "cool" (I guess) flight scenes and younger-ish cast members. Plus Cruise has been somewhat popular in the MI franchise in the past several years. I can't think of one single thing that Indy 5 will have that will remotely appeal to those under 35, let alone those under 25. Not one thing at all.

I will be pleasantly surprised if Indy5 makes $300 million domestic and will be absolutely ecstatically shocked if it gets anywhere near $350 domestic.

I don't know about the US but in the UK the Indiana Jones films are shown on the main TV channels every Christmas or Easter. They have never fallen out of popular consciousness, unlike TOP GUN, which I think did during the 90s and 00s in the UK.

1 hour ago, John Marston said:

Indiana Jones 5 quality will determine its gross. Quality is how you get something like Top Gun Maverick making 716m and that Ghostbusters film from last year that no one remembers exists making only 129m

didnt that movie start with something stupid like a 99% RT?

2 hours ago, TwoMisfits said:

After TGM, I think MI: 7 may surprise - all those TGM viewers got the trailer, and I thought it was very good.

And who wants to doubt Tom right now?  If we're talking movie stars of the moment, he's on his own tier...

I took this comment as a challenge.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, TwoMisfits said:

I also thought their #2 most anticipated movie was Strange World...and seeing the Strange World box office, that poll obviously didn't mean anything...

A2 CONFIRMED over 50M DOM total

• Astonished 1

Another of my "future of the industry" predictions is more variable ticket pricing. A cheaper ticket price a few weeks down the line is one such scenario, but would expect that to be offset by raising the price for the opening week or two, when demand is higher. More than the ~$1 "premium" pricing we see now, though not to Bollywood release levels, but something inbetween, particularly for the tentpoles. When there is such a huge gap in demand for say BPWF and Fabelmans, it doesn't make sense to have them be nearly the same ticket price.

One general note I'll add: yes, attendance is way down from pre-pandemic levels. But, the concession spending per person is now also higher, in that the "missing" audience were those far less likely to buy. There's a question of diminishing returns trying too much to draw them back, rather than just focusing on maximizing revenue among the remaining frequent audience, by increased PLFs, expanded menus, or some other revenue generator yet to be thought of.

Typically we see a price increase cause the audience pool to shrink (reduce demand) as people are priced out, but in this case I think the audience shrunk first thanks to pandemic and streaming, and prices have not yet caught up to that reality, 

• Like 6

8 hours ago, ThePrinceIsOnFire said:

Pinocchio was literally blasted by the italian critics and deemed as deeply direspectful towards Collodi's work, I'm sure the same will be true for the little mermaid and H.C. Andersen

Pinocchio was blasted by all critics, the film has a 28% on rt for christ's sake. This post reminds me of a thread I saw on r/italy about the supposed disrespect and cultural appropriation from the film.

It was made by an american, he was the only one outraged, and all comments proceeded to mock him.

Frankly speaking I don't think most people care all that much here, but you are right about one thing, black-led films are generally much harder to make work overseas.