Eric Prime

A2 WEEKEND THREAD | 134.1M DOM OW | Thurs 17m / Fri 36m / Sat 45m / Sun 36m

How old were you when Avatar (2009) first came out?  

176 members have voted

1. 1. How old were you when Avatar (2009) first came out?

Taking a look at ticket sales in the theatres in my radius, I don't see any sell outs yet, but I have seen a few screenings later today without any tickets sold so far.

I understand why theatres are dedicating so many screens, as there's nothing else going on, but it's going to be hard to generate a feeling of scarcity around this if people feel they can get tickets up to the last minute.

Just judging from what people are saying on here, it seems i over estimated the films final gross potential (not so much OW as i always though OW will be lower and legs higher than say a comic book film), and under esitmated the various factors going against this release.

Still with it being Christmas time, i cant see under 3x legs (even Last Jedi almost got 3x legs off a much bigger OW), and i still feel 4x legs is well in play here.

Question for me now is can this get over 500mil WW OW, as i feel it will need to if its hitting 2bil.

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b952eede40f2b79f6cf54b

6 hours ago, Verrows said:

It's not the numbers that are surprising me so much as the abrupt turnaround. Internationally speaking the presales were pointing to one of the most massive movie events ever and then everything just came to a screeching halt. Like, not just "not as big as originally thought" but from really good to pretty average.

What happened???

It's not playing fully 4 quadrant is my bet...it's playing specifically to an audience like the Bond movies without being a Bond movie, at least for the US.  That's my gut before Deadline tells us Friday afternoon with demo breakdowns...some part of a quadrant (or two) or a full quadrant is not coming...

And it seems weaker-than-expected with GA for now, since last minute sales have not picked up, and they are also last minute buyers.  Disney and the marketing department have not made the sale for non-invested folks to buy this week - instead, they may have turned them off, but we've had that discussion some and will probably have it more...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, stuart360 said:

Just judging from what people are saying on here, it seems i over estimated the films final gross potential (not so much OW as i always though OW will be lower and legs higher than say a comic book film), and under esitmated the various factors going against this release.

Still with it being Christmas time, i cant see under 3x legs (even Last Jedi almost got 3x legs off a much bigger OW), and i still feel 4x legs is well in play here.

Question for me now is can this get over 500mil WW OW, as i feel it will need to if its hitting 2bil.

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b952eede40f2b79f6cf54b

One thing going for it is that we haven't really seen a Christmas period this empty. Last year was pretty unprecedented, but that still had two adult skewing franchises released over the holidays in Matrix Resurrection and King's Man. Now, they both bombed, but, they were at least options. 

There's really nothing else during the one time of the year where many people make their only trip out to the theatres.

Babylon and the Whitney Houston are the adult options this time around and they're not bad options, but lack a lot of draw.

9 minutes ago, vafrow said:

One thing going for it is that we haven't really seen a Christmas period this empty. Last year was pretty unprecedented, but that still had two adult skewing franchises released over the holidays in Matrix Resurrection and King's Man. Now, they both bombed, but, they were at least options. 

There's really nothing else during the one time of the year where many people make their only trip out to the theatres.

Babylon and the Whitney Houston are the adult options this time around and they're not bad options, but lack a lot of draw.

Or, and we need to consider this, everyone stays in with friends/family and watch for free (depending on their streaming service):

Glass Onion on Netflix (for adults)

Strange World on D+ (for families)

Matilda the Musical on Netflix (for families)

Top Gun Maverick on Paramount Plus (for everyone)

Now, they came out in 2021, but funny enough, everyone was less sick then and that Spiderman movie was an every quadrant huge draw.  We could have a 2020 Christmas vs 2022 b/c while theaters are fully open, everyone seems to be getting sick all the time, and we seem like we're also gonna have 2 horrid ending weeks of weather for December, way colder and wetter than normal, at least on the East Coast...

21 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

Feels a bit like the arrival of The Hobbit after The Lord of the Rings. That feeling it should be absolutely gigantic, but in the end couldn’t quite repeat what they were a decade before. 

Shocked GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Or, and we need to consider this, everyone stays in with friends/family and watch for free (depending on their streaming service):

Now, they came out in 2021, but funny enough, everyone was less sick then and that Spiderman movie was an every quadrant huge draw.  We could have a 2020 Christmas vs 2022 b/c while theaters are fully open, everyone seems to be getting sick all the time, and we seem like we're also gonna have 2 horrid ending weeks of weather for December, way colder and wetter than normal, at least on the East Coast...

Violent Night should also be streaming from next week. Not sure if it's going to Peacock though.

9 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

none of those are the equivalent to what TWOW is promising as an experience.

For me it’s more the question of whether people will see the film multiple times. Doing $600 million plus domestic means you’ve got to get people coming over and over.  Some people might well just be happy with a one and done. And that’s perfectly understandable seeing as we have had this experience before. 

Edited by wildphantom