Eric Prime

A2 WEEKEND THREAD | 134.1M DOM OW | Thurs 17m / Fri 36m / Sat 45m / Sun 36m

How old were you when Avatar (2009) first came out?  

176 members have voted

1. 1. How old were you when Avatar (2009) first came out?

2 minutes ago, aabattery said:

feel like if you're gonna make big claims about how good your prediction was on what the demos would be you should probably actually know what the demos are

I swear I thought I was spot on because I never actually researched USA’s demo. Genuine question, these demos consider mixed race what, white? Black? I always imagined if you consider mixed race + black the situation was similar here in Brazil and the US. I’m kinda baffled at the numbers, I did know that the Latinos was the biggest minority, but kinda imagined that the black demo would be higher.

8 minutes ago, Cap said:

It’s his shtick. If you are here long enough (welcome, we have cookies) you will find we all have shticks.

Some of us even go out of our way to announce just what our shticks are:

q5383kF.png

(resident court jester also on occasion)

((but mostly Thursday Preview Savant Dark Wizard Tracker, lately)

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Man, you missed the good old days. COVID pretty much ruined box office tracking. 

I’ve been far less doom and gloom about the future of box office tbh. I legit thought that runs like NWH would absolutely never happen again. While this year was mid, I do think that the next 5 years box office crazy swings can bounce back. 

• Like 1

Just now, Alligator Zatt said:

I swear I thought I was spot on because I never actually researched USA’s demo. Genuine question, these demos consider mixed race what, white? Black? I always imagined if you consider mixed race + black the situation was similar here in Brazil and the US. I’m kinda baffled at the numbers, I did know that the Latinos was the biggest minority, but kinda imagined that the black demo would be higher.

As far as I know, it'd all be self reported so it's whatever people identify themselves with.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, aabattery said:

feel like if you're gonna make big claims about how good your prediction was on what the demos would be you should probably actually know what the demos are

It's actually the US' fault for being too white though, if it wasn't so damn white he would have been spot on!

• Disbelief 1

4 minutes ago, Menor Reborn said:

TGM white-skewing. A2 diversity seems normalish for big blockbuster (similar to what I recall for NWH at least)

I'm curious if/how those demo breakdowns - age in particular - hold up or shift over the weekend. Could certainly imagine a scenario where Thursday is more the typical blockbuster crowd, but the weekend spreads out more older (and younger/families). Because the more the audience is like a typical blockbuster, then the more we should expect Avatwo's pattern & legs to perform like those other films - say Rogue One, for example - right?

• Like 1

I haven't seen all the posts regarding this topic but I was thinking to myself this movie might not play well to minority audiences, particularly Black folks. I know I'm just a guy on the internet but hear me out. I was a "different" Black kid growing up. This is the type of movie I probably would have been made fun of for watching as a kid. It came across like a "White" movie. I know how this sounds but we are all business minded here. Reminds me a lot of Star Wars. A lot of Black people (myself included) were put off by the bait and switch Finn advertising for Force Awakens. I was proven right because the Black demo is awful for the sequels . I'm very sorry and I don't mean to be offensive but we can't be pc about this. I'm not saying they should have had NBA Youngboy do the soundtrack (that would have been badass) but this movie probably could have used a Black actor. I would not be surprised if Black audience rate is in the 10s. Other thing is the pandemic crushed minorities the most economically. 4 3D tickets is off the table for a lot of families, especially multiple viewings. 

• Disbelief 1
  • Knock It Off 1

6 minutes ago, M37 said:

I'm curious if/how those demo breakdowns - age in particular - hold up or shift over the weekend. Could certainly imagine a scenario where Thursday is more the typical blockbuster crowd, but the weekend spreads out more older (and younger/families). Because the more the audience is like a typical blockbuster, then the more we should expect Avatwo's pattern & legs to perform like those other films - say Rogue One, for example - right?

I’d imagine they shift wildly but something that caught my attention that I just read is that at least the OW for Marvel films this year skewed over 18 at OW. COVID throws a curveball at this that I might be not completely aware of and I could be VERY incorrect, but the numbers did look smaller from pre COVID days. 

I guess that parents just leaving kids at the movie theaters while they go shopping isn’t that much of a thing as it maybe once was.

Alita pretty good overall, enjoyed the world and character. My big issue is (don't click this Reddroast, though I guess if you already read the manga maybe this won't be a spoiler)

Spoiler

The ending was weirdly repetitive with how they kept faking out the boyfriend's death and then he lived and then eventually he actually died. Emotional whiplash. 

Edited by Menor Reborn
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Menor Reborn said:

Alita pretty good overall, enjoyed the world and character. My big issue is (don't click this Reddroast)

Hide contents

The ending was weirdly repetitive with how they kept faking out the boyfriend's death and then he lived and then eventually he actually died. Emotional whiplash. 

Dont watch Florizan Zeller's The Son