Eric S'ennui

A2 WEEKEND THREAD | 134.1M DOM OW | Thurs 17m / Fri 36m / Sat 45m / Sun 36m

How old were you when Avatar (2009) first came out?  

176 members have voted

1. 1. How old were you when Avatar (2009) first came out?

19 minutes ago, Grebacio said:

I'm not really interested in anime adaptations because I think it's stupid to make adaptions on the same medium than the original work

I’ve been pounding the table for live action anime adaptations being, maybe. It the next cinematic goldmine, but not for another decade. That said, the potential is vast once the right creatives are given the reigns, which I expect to happen when the right genius executives wake up.

Give Sailor Moon to Greta Gerwig. Who says no?

23 minutes ago, Grebacio said:

I said several times that I think videogames adaptions will be the next big thing and it seems they are starting to be decent/good

I'm not really interested in anime adaptations because I think it's stupid to make adaptions on the same medium than the original work

Arcane, Cyberpunk and Sonic were all pretty good (which is funny given the quality of the source games lmao), and I'm hoping Mario and The Last of Us do well, even if I have no real interest in TLOU.

21 minutes ago, Korra Legion said:

Boy you did not just tell me that anime and movies are the same medium 😤

Anyway should really be adapting the manga/VN/ln/wn, so there

> VN

I would give my life for a trashy Danganronpa adapation lmao

T2 Rewatch:

• God ILM is untouchable in the 1990s. Just outstanding. Those cyborgs look GOOD
  • Holy Shit, Joe Morton is in this?!?! WE GONNA FEAST TONIGHT
  • Arnold slimmed down a little I see
  • Sorry, @Plain Old Tele. Gotta put the CC on.  It’s late and the parents are asleep
  • I wonder if he is bad or just bad to the bone?
  • HAI Xander Bradley.
  • Hey! The shrink is back. Still Schmuck 😍
  • Lol why the fuck is she locked up? Oookay?
  • Ah. Okay. That will do it.
  • WAIT IS PAPA POPE GONNA INVENT SKYNET? Cause that MF would.
  • I am HERE for Arnold v Dogget 
  • Oh, no.  Not more car chases.
  • HAAAAHAH. Yaaas Dogget. YAAAS King
  • I love them not even caring that is clearly a stunt double on the bike. What chutzpah 
  • Okay. So. Arnold is playing a different Terminator than the first one? Got it.
  • They better not hurt that dog. 
  • John Connor is SUCH a little shit. 🥰🥰🥰🥰🥰🥰
  • Like 1

Saw The Way of Water tonight with my ‘Little Bro’ who I’ve been friends with since we matched through Big Brothers Big Sisters when he was 10 years old (he’s 20 now… my god).

For all its faults (simple dialogue, over-reliance on narrative tropes (so many), and more), when the film soars, it really soars. I can say unequivocally that it is a technical marvel; the CGI for some sequences (and close ups of Na’vi) is so tangible and real looking that it feels like it was shot on location.

And the emotional/spiritual soul is there. The last act had me - particularly because of something that hit close to home for me for personal reasons.

I saw this in standard 2D - I may be tempted to see this again in IMAX 3D, even though I’m generally not a huge fan of 3D or HFR. 

Overall, it's well worth it for the cinematic experience alone. I’ve been critical in the past of Cameron spending so much of his time working on the Avatar series, but I am curious to see where he takes it next.

Peace,

Mike

• Like 11

25 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

5 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

36 seems like

Slightly better 36.5-37

WOM KICKING IN ALREADY!!!! CAMERON'S STILL GOT IT!!!!! :ohmygod:

Spoiler

I'm so sorry. :ph34r:

Spoiler

*thinks*

I'm really not, honestly. :Gaga:

• Haha 2
  • Astonished 1

Really enjoyed watching this tonight in an IMAX 3D, non-HFR presentation. For me, the 3h15 minute runtime felt more like 2.5, and while I felt the movie lacked a Hometree-level sequence of peril, I was overall more emotionally and narratively engaged with this film than the original, and because the stakes were intimate, they arguably felt higher. The kids are seriously great. Lo'ak and Kiri have my heart. The first act is good enough, but acts two and three were superb for me. Final 15 minutes or so definitely brought a few tears - something that never happened to me in '09.

Edited by Dragoncaine

55 minutes ago, Cap said:

T2 Rewatch:

• God ILM is untouchable in the 1990s. Just outstanding. Those cyborgs look GOOD
  • Holy Shit, Joe Morton is in this?!?! WE GONNA FEAST TONIGHT
  • Arnold slimmed down a little I see
  • Sorry, @Plain Old Tele. Gotta put the CC on.  It’s late and the parents are asleep
  • I wonder if he is bad or just bad to the bone?
  • HAI Xander Bradley.
  • Hey! The shrink is back. Still Schmuck 😍
  • Lol why the fuck is she locked up? Oookay?
  • Ah. Okay. That will do it.
  • WAIT IS PAPA POPE GONNA INVENT SKYNET? Cause that MF would.
  • I am HERE for Arnold v Dogget 
  • Oh, no.  Not more car chases.
  • HAAAAHAH. Yaaas Dogget. YAAAS King
  • I love them not even caring that is clearly a stunt double on the bike. What chutzpah 
  • Okay. So. Arnold is playing a different Terminator than the first one? Got it.
  • They better not hurt that dog. 
  • John Connor is SUCH a little shit. 🥰🥰🥰🥰🥰🥰
  • EWWWWWWWWW
  • OOOOOOOOOOOH
  • ILM just killing it.
  • Sarah is the exact Type of crazy I love.
  • Lolol “He’ll live”
  • OH LOOK AT THAT FUN CALL BACK!
  • Dogget did the thing!
  • No notes. Just totally engaged
  • Christ, Sarah. PTSD is a hell of a drug
  • “What’s wrong with your eyes?” Just stab me in the heart now. 🥹🥹🥹
  • James Cameron has some THOUGHTS on parenting I See
  • Omg the Van Buren is his wife? AHAAAH. THE OTP I didn’t know I needed. The lieutenant and Papa Pope would be SUCH a power couple. 
  • SARAH 😱😱
  • JOHN 😭😭
  • Yeah, Sarah. You tell all men they are scum.
  • The random VOs are kind of unnecessary,  but the angst is fun. 
  • Where is Dogget. It’s been a hot minute. 
  • Like 1

125-135m ow  dissapointing but still have a good feeling about legs to 600m.

Still ticking to OS-C- above NWH.

China -150-250m if the 65-85m ow projection sticks.

Reception Dom is good and it's better OS .yeah Japan no is abysmal wasn't expecting that.

Next weekend is Christmas Eve so drop will definitely be bigger ,third weekend will be the final nail to see where it ends .

1.85-2bn+ 

Edited by Liiviig 1998