Eric Prime

A2 WEEKEND THREAD | 134.1M DOM OW | Thurs 17m / Fri 36m / Sat 45m / Sun 36m

How old were you when Avatar (2009) first came out?  

176 members have voted

1. 1. How old were you when Avatar (2009) first came out?

1 minute ago, CoolioD1 said:

top gun or banshees is winning. don't see it for everything everywhere. they might throw it a directing win because it's pretty imaginative on that front.

This guy gets it. God, i'm gonna be so annoying this awards season

3 minutes ago, cookie said:

How is Triangle of Sadness's chances for a BP nom given it might not get nominated for International (on the grounds that it's fully in English)?

If it gets nominated it'll basically be a lower-tier filler nominee. There's probably going to end up being more than one of those this year with how weak the field is.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, cooldude97 said:

when was the last time Spielberg actually made a crowd pleasing movie?

In actuality or in intention?

In intention both West Side Story and Ready Player One were intended to be crowd pleasing movies. Both succeeded to a degree. I mean, I cannot stand RPO but it did pretty well. And in general most people who have SEEN WSS loved it, it just turned out the actual core demand for a new version of WSS at this particular moment was drastically misjudged. 

1 minute ago, Nero said:

Which one? Bahubali or eega?

I prefer Baahubali 2 and Eega to it. I did like a better than Baahubali 1 though. He's a really fun director. I tried to get friends to checkout Eega and both Baahubali movies for a few year but no one seemed to want to... But, RRR they did check out and just about all of them had a blast with it. I'll also say that RRR has by far a superior piggyback sequence to EEAAO... 

• Like 1

If they have to go with a film geared for audiences (they won't, by the way) I'd much rather it be EEAAO than Top Gun. Strong, entertaining action flick but probably only in my top5 of the year - have a good chunk of stuff to watch still though so I might have it lower.

Edited by JustLurking

57 minutes ago, Elessar said:

The gross should have no bearing on what wins.

That being said, seeing both Fabelmans and Banshees making less than 10m, along with plenty of flops during this fall, making me wonder if the extinction of the drama fare is upon us.

Drama or comedy, Yes, they generally gross less but they are part of the diversity of theatrical experience. And now our cinema business is so top-heavy and blockbuster-centric. 

2 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

India didn't submit RRR so it's not contending there

Oh, wow. Didn't realize that. I just assumed that they did when it was nominated for a Golden Globe in that category. Reminds me of when South Korea submitted something that wasn't Handmaiden in 2016... Age of Shadows maybe? Poor decision if they wanted to get a nomination in the category.

• Like 1

Banshees is just a fancier version of Fabelmans, it made no noise in general public. EEAAO or TGM, we don't need another commercially flopped but critically claimed BP if Oscars wants to stay relevant in culture landscape and connect with younger audience.

• Knock It Off 1

We are approaching a full 20 years since the Academy has given an actual blockbuster the award. I think the timing was right and the weak competition was right, but Cameron’s trademark stubbornness likely shot him in the foot a bit this time (I’m sure there were people around him who would have liked to chop off another 25 mins and iron out the dialogue a bit, etc)