Issac Newton

Weekend Thread - 3/10-12 | Weekend Estimates: Scream VI 44.5 (franchise best!), Creed III 27.2, LXV 12.3 #AintManIII 7, Cocaine Bear I 6.2

In case anyone was wondering where the Top 25 list reveal is... Well, while writing up the movies I realized I made a calculation error and literally have to recalculate all the lists. Add to that this week being crazy and Silicon Valley Bank (who was a client I did some work for recently) going under causing a crazy rush in my company to find all our invoices to see if there's anything unpaid, I haven't had time to finish the calculation.

My apologies, but I am just one person doing this and I got an almost record 93 lists this year.

• Like 10
  • Astonished 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, grim22 said:

In case anyone was wondering where the Top 25 list reveal is... Well, while writing up the movies I realized I made a calculation error and literally have to recalculate all the lists. Add to that this week being crazy and Silicon Valley Bank (who was a client I did some work for recently) going under causing a crazy rush in my company to find all our invoices to see if there's anything unpaid, I haven't had time to finish the calculation.

My apologies, but I am just one person doing this and I got an almost record 93 lists this year.

No worries man

7 minutes ago, grim22 said:

If you need help looking things over, I’m always available :)

3 hours ago, SchumacherFTW said:

That it's on the higher end for consistency for a horror franchise definitely works in its favour, I think the only one that seems like it has a negative lean of any kind is 3.

I wasn't Keen on part 3 when I first saw it but it has definitely grown on me over the years. And I know not many people like 4 but along with @Krissykins I absolutely love that one. In fact I think I really enjoyed every scream thus far I'm sure I'll like this one as well.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, baumer said:

I wasn't Keen on part 3 when I first saw it but it has definitely grown on me over the years. And I know not many people like 4 but along with @Krissykins I absolutely love that one. In fact I think I really enjoyed every scream thus far I'm sure I'll like this one as well.

Scream 4 is the best sequel in my opinion (havent seen 6 yet). Emma Roberts completely steals the show in the 3rd act and the meta commentary about remakes and the state of horror films in generel in the (late) 2000s just work very well for me.

Only thing that kind of bugs me about Scream 4 is the lighting in the film, visually it looks a bit too overexposed in some scenes, but thats nitpicky.

• Like 2
  • Heart 1

I feel like 4 is now seen as an undervalued addition to the series despite some of its flaws (like the bad lighting in most of it), in part because it was shrugged off upon release which was a time when there wasn't any real nostalgia for the franchise and because the "young people trying to become famous by any means necessary" theme of it is more applicable now than it was in 2011 (social media existed but wasn't completely inescapable - or seen as much as an incredibly easy source of revenue even if it means basically doing nothing - like it is today). It was a movie that was ahead of its time tbh.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 14

Copying over what I wrote in tracking thread this morning: 

16 hours ago, M37 said:

Continued to lag behind Black Adam in final days, but paced just ahead of Dune. Typically, the pace of Thursday sales over final week is correlated with the Thur/Fri ratio (the more pre-sale heavy Thursday is, the more Thursday heavy OD).

Black Adam had a 3.5x OD/Thur (8.8x IM), while Dune had a 3.43x (8.0x IM). Scream VI should in or be just below that range, so a ~$5.5M preview should enough for $18-$19M OD and low $40M weekend

Deadline’s $18.7M Fri & $42M weekend is right in line with that expected math

Scream 3's the only one I wasn't all that into. Scream 2's probably the best sequel, and then 4 and 5 are about the same. Good, consistent series overall, which is atypical of horror franchises. Hoping the sixth one is another banger when I see it.

• Like 3