Issac Newton

Weekend Thread - 3/17-19 | Weekend Est. - Shazam II $30.5M, Scream VI $17.5M, Creed III $15.4M, LXV $5.8M, #AintMan $4.1M

2 minutes ago, Firepower said:

Idk, SM3 had a pretty definitive conclusion, there was no cliffhanger or unresolved conflicts. Andrew on the other hand ended on a big cliffhanger that was never resolved.

I don't disagree narratively, moreso just that 3 was a stepdown quality-wise and the attempts by Raimi to "rebound" the franchise never panned out

48 minutes ago, Eric Batson said:

Pretty sure that played at my theater too lol. My local has 22 screens, so they've been getting a lot of these cheap-o craps that nobody has ever heard of. Lot of the time it's horror stuff that I doubt even Bloody Disgusting isn't aware of. Which like...I know they're doing this because they need to play something and there's the mindset of "new product brings people in", but like...I'm pretty sure letting Operation Fortune play a little bit longer makes more business sense.

Maybe new movies give a bigger concessions boost? All these theaters have formulas for what they keep vs drop. We have an 18-plex here playing EEAAO once at 10 PM today but a whole screen dedicated to A Snowy Day in Oakland this weekend, and I get it considering the audience that goes there.

Shazam 2 really isn't a movie that can wait multiple years between sequels, given the concept. I like the idea that the movies should be animated, and then you don't have to worry about so much aging child actors.

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl
  • Like 1

Saw shazam today and thought it was surprisingly decent. After the atrocious marketing and the reviews I expected the worst but came away really enjoying it 

It helps that I loved the first film I suppose. 

Thought it was a solid 7/10. Kinda sad what's happening to it.

Where as ant man 3 I thought was one of the worst CBM films in years.

Anyway, I look forward to sandberg getting back into horror after this.

• Like 2

On 3/17/2023 at 6:00 PM, stripe said:

It has a longshot., IMHO

Shazam! 30-35M

Scream: 19-20M

Creed: 16-17M
65: 5M
AMQ: 4.5M

CB: 4M

Champions: 3M

JR: 3M

Puss: 1M

That's 87-92M just for the top10. Last weekend the films outside top 10 made 4M.

If a holdover is stronger than expected and EEAAO has a good Oscar bump, we can still see a 100M weekend. 

I was quite accurate this weekend. A shame that Saturday was a bit deflated. It affected the holds of Scream and Creed.

19 hours ago, Johnny Tran said:

By the way, if these CBM flops do force studios to get a little more creative and we see more straight action movies like Top Gun: Maverick then I am all for it..  

Most comic book movies are using a very tired formula.  I only get interested now if it's a comic book movie that is aspiring to be another genre (see: The Batman ) 

Calling Top Gun Maverick an action movie is like calling Naked Gun movie a drama about police squad.

• Disbelief 1

2 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Whether it ends up mattering or not, Shazam's verified score on RT continued to elevate all weekend, now up to 88%, but still not yet at 5000+ reviews (in the 1000+ range)...

Its IMDB score and modifiers so far don't indicate a movie with particularly good reception or a leggy run.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cooldude97 said:

started from the bottom and now where here. even lower

WB initial estimate of just 30% drop on Sunday was already an very optimistic take, so this isn't a situation where a movie sinks even lower and lower.

5 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Whether it ends up mattering or not, Shazam's verified score on RT continued to elevate all weekend, now up to 88%, but still not yet at 5000+ reviews (in the 1000+ range)...

8,9x IM from already inflated by spring break of Thursday preview actually show there are audience segment that respond very well to the movie. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

I don't disagree narratively, moreso just that 3 was a stepdown quality-wise and the attempts by Raimi to "rebound" the franchise never panned out

It's been pretty well established that a lot of the problems with SM3 was the studio forcing Venom down Raimi's throat. He just wanted to do his Sandman story.

What is interesting is that they had a scene in SM3 that clearly was setting up The Lizard as the villlian in SM4.,,where Peter Parker is talking to his one armed biology professor......