Issac Newton

Weekend Thread 19-21/05 | Fast X $67.5M

41 minutes ago, eXtacy said:

320m ww opening is really solid. If it follows Fast 8 then it ends around 750m WW. Should be profitable and enough to get least one sequel.

I don't see how 750mil is profitable with a 340mil budget when a good chunk is coming from China.

• Like 2

Insane WW opening. Should end at 750M WW or so. More than enough to justify a final movie with a 250M budget, which was the original budget of F10 before Justin Lin got fired.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, thajdikt said:

Fast is a monster OS. Just insane how big that franchise in OS markets.

Yes, in the post-Covid world the Hollywood titles have been skewing domestic with most of the top-performing tentpoles running >40% of their BO from domestic while a better one with at least 35%, there aren't many film managed to only have 20% range from domestic. NTTD, FB3, Dune (domestic gross deflated by HBO Max deal) and A2.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I’m still confused as to whether or not 10 is supposed to be “part 1”?? So then is the next one gonna be called Fast X-2: Furious Men United or something? 

It's part 1, then it'll be Furious 11: Fast X: Part 2 - Last Fast

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I’m still confused as to whether or not 10 is supposed to be “part 1”?? So then is the next one gonna be called Fast X-2: Furious Men United or something? 

No. This is not the first time they have done this. Dead Man’s Chest and At worlds end. Infinite Way and Endgame. Across the Spiderverse also part 1 of 2. 

10 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Fast X > Fast Y > Fast Z (Finale) 

• Like 1
  • Heart 1
  • Haha 11
  • Astonished 1

I think we should stop being accountants in analyzing every movie's BO and net returns. Most movies dont make money theatrically. Goal is to be successful enough that revenue post theatrical is good enough to take it green and also convince them to make more. Beyond Digital/Disc sales, there is rental and also make money selling to TV/Cable in global markets. I think if its going to make 750m WW and does not have any actors having first gross(I doubt that will happen considering none of the actors are that big on their own). I think paying all these actors upfront is shooting up budgets for these movies. 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Ken said:

Does anyone else remember that bizarre video where Vin Diesel danced to Katy Perry to celebrate Universal congratulating him on Riddick topping DVD sales, and said they asked for another one? If you don't, here it is.

Haha strong The Rock vibes (all the nonsense about an instant green light for Jungle Cruise 2, Red Notice 2 & 3, Black Adam delusions etc) 

No wonder they don’t get on, too alike. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

I think we should stop being accountants in analyzing every movie's BO and net returns. Most movies dont make money theatrically. Goal is to be successful enough that revenue post theatrical is good enough to take it green and also convince them to make more. Beyond Digital/Disc sales, there is rental and also make money selling to TV/Cable in global markets. I think if its going to make 750m WW and does not have any actors having first gross(I doubt that will happen considering none of the actors are that big on their own). I think paying all these actors upfront is shooting up budgets for these movies. 

Wouldn’t this be getting rid of the majority of box office discussion 

1 minute ago, ringedmortality said:

Wouldn’t this be getting rid of the majority of box office discussion 

Box office still matters. If a movie makes almost nothing at box office then it will make little revenue post that as well. But if its making big money while not being not so profitable theatrically, there is still potential for the franchise. 

That said next movie if it happens will have to trim the budget significantly. I think they have to cut some of the cast as that is costing big money. I am not convinced all of them are valuable at this point. 

• Like 1

We're probably getting 2 more movies. The OS numbers show interest is there. I think the next 2 can be billion grossers due to this one's good reception. Hopefully they shoot back to back to keep budget lower.

Cant find it, but saw someone mention Mario would eye right around 600 if it follows Minions from here. Gonna be so irritating if it falls less than 10m short of I2.

I hope Universal would pull out all the stops in that case with a big re-expansion and whatnot since “all time highest grossing animated movie domestic” is certainly a title they should care about bragging about. Especially to get to take it away from the mouse house, which would be a crazy feat. 

1 hour ago, keysersoze123 said:

it’s a fact though the home media market isn’t as strong as it used to be. The home media market could turn a flop into a hit. Not so much anymore . Matt Damon talked about how the home media could help certain movies get greenlit because they knew that market would save it even if it didn’t quite break even in theaters 

Edited by John Marston
  • Like 2

International pulled through for Fast X. With this domestic opening being so close to F9 I think we've seen the lowest the OW can go for the franchise domestically, which is still a respectable 60-70 OW. Not sure if we'll get F&F12 but we're definitely at least getting Furious 11 in my opinion.