kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers | Weekend Estimates | 120.5M SPIDER-MAN: ATSV | 40.6M TLM | 12.3M THE BOOGEYMAN | 10.2M GOTG III

35 minutes ago, Eric 2099 said:

That's already happened. Mitchells vs. Machines, The Bad Guys, Puss in Boots 2, that new TMNT movie. They all copy the Spider-Verse artstyle and the filmmakers have all stated in interviews that Spider-Verse was a huge influence in the art direction.

What's also great about it is that it this style keeps budgets low. So it ends up being more profitable across the board.

• Founder / Operator
2 hours ago, M37 said:

I understand the caution from a studio in not wanting to get out too far ahead in extrapolating, and sites like DHD and THR just reporting what expectations and/or tracking they have been given … 

…. But a write-up that includes $17M previews and $80-$90M opening weekend is just kinda ridiculous. At least say that was the forecast that now looks to be overshot (aka “rival studios”). Floor from that preview start is $100-$105M

I'm just being devil's advocate. 😆

If I'm trying to get inside their head, they're weighing the risk of undershooting by 10-20% and not getting in trouble for it, versus overshooting by even a small margin -- and getting Monday morning quarterback-ed by some angry executive alongside readers who nitpick -- or even worse, by overshooting 10-20%.

This after 2 of the most recent 3 tentpoles came in on the low end of expectations and the third barely hit them.

It's a "hate the game, not the player" situation, fortunately or unfortunately... depending on one's view.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Avatree said:

17M previews WOW! Here was me thinking this will gross under the first spiderverse.

But why? The original didn't gross that much, but was incredibly beloved. Unless you expected really poor reception.

8 minutes ago, Firepower said:

But why? The original didn't gross that much, but was incredibly beloved. Unless you expected really poor reception.

I know it was loved at the time, I just thought people had forgotten about it and didn't care any more.

1 minute ago, Avatree said:

I know it was loved at the time, I just thought people had forgotten about it and didn't care any more.

Well, it's not Shazam which supposedly got good reception, but whose sequel was utterly rejected across the board. This one has lot more going for it.

2 minutes ago, IronJimbo & Sheldon's Son said:

assuming the actuals are a bit higher I'm guessing it's 18/34 for the Friday split, would that indicate frontloading?

actuals aren't reported for previews. 17.35M is pretty much the last figure you'll see for that

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cannastop said:

you think a multiplier of 4.5x+ is in the cards?

With the many reactions I’ve seen that are basically proclaiming this one of the best movies ever, summer, and the way every other June release sounds like a big dud? Maybe. 

31 minutes ago, Flopped said:

Lame Deadline update

‘Spider-Man: Across The Spider-Verse’ Weaving $40M+ Friday With A Shot At $100M Weekend – Updated Box Office

https://deadline.com/2023/06/box-office-spider-man-across-the-spider-verse-1235398807/

FRIDAY MIDDAY: It use to be studios would avoid the frame after Memorial Day weekend, as it was an easing period for moviegoing post-holiday. Not anymore. Sony Animation’s Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse is poised to post box office numbers like it’s a live action Marvel superhero movie. After clocking the second best previews ever for an animated movie, the Joaquim Dos Santos, Kemp Powers and Justin K. Thompson directed movie is looking at $40M+ day today (including those previews) and a 3-day that could very well hit $100M at 4,313 theaters. Rivals bullishly see the opening well into $110M+ range, however, the unpredictable nature with Spider-Verse is how fanboy loaded it could be with PLF and Imax ticket sales. Even if the animated film settles in the high $90M range, it’s still a massive success next to the original 2018 movie’s debut, Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse at $35.3M.

Disney owns spots two, three and four on the chart. Their weekend 2 of The Little Mermaid at 4,320 is seeing around $12M today, for a $42M-$44M second weekend at 4,320 theaters, -54% at the high-end for a ten-day total of $189.7M. Aladdin eased 53% with a $42.8M second weekend which got it to $185.5M over the same point in time.

Disney/Marvel Studios’ Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 at 3,580 theaters is seeing a fifth Friday of $3M, 3-day of $10.5M, -49%, for a running total of $322.9M. Great holds here by Little Mermaid and GOTG3.

Disney’s 20th Century Studios’ The Boogeyman is eyeing $4.5M today for a $10M+ weekend at 3,205 theaters.

Universal’s Fast X booked at 3,467 is looking at a third Friday of $2.4M, 3-day of $8.3M, -64%, and running total by Sunday of $127.5M.

The whole "nobody puts big movies the weekend after Memorial Day" opener is very, very silly. There's always been a big movie on that weekend as long as I can remember. @AJG Deadline Anthony strikes again!

Disney is really trying to get Quantumania above Ant-Man 2. It's been in theaters longer than Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness or Thor: Love and Thunder and Disney did lots of double features with Guardians. It's made 1.5 million since the week Guardians opened. Don't see it succeeding though, as it's still 2.2 million below Ant-Man 2.

37 minutes ago, Flopped said:

Lame Deadline update

‘Spider-Man: Across The Spider-Verse’ Weaving $40M+ Friday With A Shot At $100M Weekend – Updated Box Office

https://deadline.com/2023/06/box-office-spider-man-across-the-spider-verse-1235398807/

40m+ including previews . Wtf is this shit . Terrible article . Did they pull this number out of their asses or something.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mulder said:

Yeah 120-130 sounds about right. Insanely impressive for a movie whose previous entry only opened to 35 million. I remember that weekend thread a lot of people being bummed that it seemed Spider-Verse was DOA, only for it to be a leggy monster and now that's materialized into a massive OW. Wild trajectory. 

Last huge one I remember is Pirates 1 46M OW DOM to Pirates 2 136M OW DOM. Begins to Dark Knight was even bigger I think from OW DOM of the first to the second.