kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers | Weekend Estimates | 120.5M SPIDER-MAN: ATSV | 40.6M TLM | 12.3M THE BOOGEYMAN | 10.2M GOTG III

6 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Only here...the trades still had $90M this morning, even after the $17.35M previews...

We got the breakout really right, and if $52M sticks, that should be a moment of pride, not boredom.  It should feel good, real good, with that nice glow of "yes, I was right:)"...

It should, donno why it isn’t 

• Like 1

As for Spidey legs...since it only got 1/2 the PLF this weekend, the PLF hit, if any, should be surprisingly smaller than we expect, with the Transformers open.

Then it's Father's Day weekend and a 3 day holiday for a movie probably tailor made for dad's...

And then a weekend to breathe for all the June openers before what could be opportunity with possible end of month opener disappointments heading into the end of June and the July 4th holiday...

Yeah, I feel good about Spidey's prospects from the feedback here.  After I see it, I'll nail down if I should keep feeling that good or if this breakout is gonna stay contained vs going huge...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Mulder said:

If we have another weekend thread hand wringing about an opening over 100 million after last weekend so help me god.

Last weekend missed 100M so…

anyway there’s no hand wringing here. It was expected to do around 2/3 of previous movie’s total on OW, and it is. An extremely mega strong sequel performance just not a lot of OD surprise. 

Edited by Legions of the Galaxy
  • Like 2

Just now, Legions of the Galaxy said:

Last weekend flop missed 100M so…

anyway there’s no hand wringing here. It was expected to do around 2/3 of previous movie’s total on OW, and it is. An extremely mega strong sequel performance just not a lot of OD surprise. 

That's not how everyone's reacting, come on. Also it didn't, it hit it on the 4 day which is fair for an extended weekend.

• Like 1
  • Disbelief 1

Just now, Mulder said:

That's not how everyone's reacting, come on. Also it didn't, it hit it on the 4 day which is fair for an extended weekend.

I think the issue is that there's nothing that has deviated from the expected norm as of late. TLM is following almost the same trajectory as Aladdin, while ATSV Hit an impressive but relatively predictable OW haul with a multi that will probably land it somewhere between GOTG 3 and Shrek 2

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Cheddar Please said:

I mean Thor 4, JWD, and DS2 all previously underperformed my expectations but at the very least all have the excuse of being below average movies. GOTG3 and ATSV were arguably about as good as they could possibly be yet neither of them were rewarded for their quality as much as they should be IMO

Making hundreds of millions for the studio does not count as rewarding quality? Many excellent and great Indie/smaller films bomb hard.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mulder said:

No, you come on. You’re totally misrepresenting the conversation. People saying they’re bored by a great opening because we can see these things coming in advance is not “hand wringing.”

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cheddar Please said:

I think the issue is that there's nothing that has deviated from the expected norm as of late. TLM is following almost the same trajectory as Aladdin, while ATSV Hit an impressive but relatively predictable OW haul with a multi that will probably land it somewhere between GOTG 3 and Shrek 2

That's true but it-

A. Shows how good the tracking team is

And B. A return to normalcy/health for the industry at large. Both of which are good.

1 minute ago, Legions of the Galaxy said:

No, you come on. You’re totally misrepresenting the conversation. People saying they’re bored by a great opening because we can see these things coming in advance is not “hand wringing.”

Being bored by a great opening sounds pretty weird to me personally but suit yourself. Weird hill to die on.

• Like 3
  • Knock It Off 1

1 minute ago, Bob Train said:

Making hundreds of millions for the studio does not count as rewarding quality? Many excellent and great Indie/smaller films bomb hard.

GOTG3 still decreased from its predecessor, and to your second point, yes, I would indeed like it if those movies made more of the box office

• Like 1

I follow a brazilian box office account and I’m 90% sure they take infos from here and just spread it without even giving props for BOT or acknowledge this forum

Shawn just said 48.5M and they posted the same thing right after lol

• Haha 5
  • ...wtf 1

I don't know if TLM will be able to replicate the late legs of Aladdin. Unless something goes wrong it's hitting 300+, but Aladdin didn't drop more than 34% from the 4th to 11th weekend, with the average drop being like 25%. Fortunately it's been doing much better than how dire things seemed on Sunday.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Cheddar Please said:

GOTG3 still decreased from its predecessor, and to your second point, yes, I would indeed like it if those movies made more of the box office

GOTG3 still has a strong chance of beating GOTG2 worldwide. It's run isn't over yet lol.

Edited by Bob Train
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

I follow a brazilian box office account and I’m 90% sure they take infos from here and just spread it without even giving props for BOT or acknowledge this forum

Shawn just said 48.5M and they posted the same thing right after lol

He thinks he’s him

• Like 1