kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers | Weekend Estimates | 120.5M SPIDER-MAN: ATSV | 40.6M TLM | 12.3M THE BOOGEYMAN | 10.2M GOTG III

3 minutes ago, TheFlatLannister said:

Yeah gonna agree with @M37 

this felt like a breakout to me with how promising the data was looking. $120M is still massive but just lower than I expected. 

hopefully WOM pulls something crazy 

It would be really funny if it pulled a BatB and held flat on Saturday

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

yes. Its just ok. Not great. but its having 25% fewer shows than big blockbusters. So I am expecting great holds over the weekend. Saturday/Sunday daytime should be nuts. 

Yeah I think it's just getting started...

39 minutes ago, Legions of the Galaxy said:

Yeah good recovery for TLM starting on Monday from the fri-sun trend. I suspect it can go 315-340ish now which somewhat keeps @M37 gap alive.   

And I don’t think Indy or Flash are really poised to push up the lower bound by all that much. The gap probably shrinks one way or another by end of summer, but it’s still going to there 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, M37 said:

I guess count me in the camp that ATSV’s opening Th/Fri is … just fine? Maybe because tracking has been pointing to such an outcome for weeks, and there was some hope it could blow up even further, and yet just … didn’t

Probably doesn’t help that looking ahead, this is more than likely the last chance for a breakout for the rest of summer (depending on one’s feelings on Barbie and what would qualify as a breakout there)

Maybe it will indeed be a lot closer to big MCU movies than animation movies? I though it was doing 6.5x before the weekend, do you think it's too low or could be in that range?

1 minute ago, Flamengo81 said:

Maybe it will indeed be a lot closer to big MCU movies than animation movies? I though it was doing 6.5x before the weekend, do you think it's too low or could be in that range?

In that range. My working IM was always ~7x give or take, but was expecting at least a 2x Th/Fri, and indications are that it will be at or below that mark 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mulder said:

Nah man, Marvel selling the rights is cited by like...everyone as saving Marvel. Yes it wasn't just Spider-Man but Spider-Man was easily the most valuable. Also no Studio would agree to a deal with an expiration date beyond the obvious failsafe clause of "Make a movie by this date".

Um how do you know no studio would agree to a 20 year movie rights deal?

7 minutes ago, M37 said:

And I don’t think Indy or Flash are really poised to push up the lower bound by all that much. The gap probably shrinks one way or another by end of summer, but it’s still going to there 

Definitely can see a scenario where TLM passes the Thor high end and flash+Indy miss sc low end. On avg I would guess the gap is shaved by maybe 20% after those 3.

MI7 might strike right at the belly of the beast though.

• Like 1

A sequel to a movie opening to less than 40M doing 115M+ on opening weekend is indeed a breakout no matter which way you try and spin it. Presales have kind of ruined box office. Had Mario been a Friday opener instead of Wednesday its weekend might have been more predictable too. 3-4 is also a big margin of a multiplier for a movie this size. You're talking about about a potential 120M+ difference in total gross. Edit: Initially had this at 200M+ before I realised I 3-4 would literally just be the difference of the opening weekend. Still a lot though. 

Edited by Fanboy
  • Like 14

cool weekend but way more excited for next weekend to see if Paramount can pull off a miracle with Transformers or if they fucked up hard putting it between two big movies like with D&D

either way that threads going to be fun

• Sad 1

22 minutes ago, M37 said:

I guess count me in the camp that ATSV’s opening Th/Fri is … just fine? Maybe because tracking has been pointing to such an outcome for weeks, and there was some hope it could blow up even further, and yet just … didn’t

Probably doesn’t help that looking ahead, this is more than likely the last chance for a breakout for the rest of summer (depending on one’s feelings on Barbie and what would qualify as a breakout there)

Tom Cruise Hello GIF by Team Coco

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Fanboy said:

Presales have kind of ruined

I don't think it takes away the fun, it just reallocates most of it to the tracking days and not the actual opening weekend. That is why a performance like Mario is so fun, because it actually managed to entertain during the tracking and the opening even more.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, grey ghost said:

Marvel barely got any money from that deal.

And what's wrong with putting an expiration date on the contract? 20 years is not long enough to get at least one studio to agree?

You can't plan for 20 years in the future if you don't even know if you'll make it through the next one

Could they have gotten some studio to agree to a deal with an expiration date? Sure, but probably not with the same money and conditions attached to the one they got

Beggars can't be choosers

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Um how do you know no studio would agree to a 20 year movie rights deal?

Since one of the big things mentioned behind why so many Marvel rights deals got accepted by studios was the mainly no strings contracts. You have no way of knowing they would accept it either.

Just for reference if Spiderverse plays like Wonder Woman which released on the same day (almost surely won't) and the 35m sticks, F-S jump would be 29% and saturday would be 45.3m. Then for sunday it would drop 16% and would gross 38.2m, giving us an opening weekend of 135.5m. It most likely won't play like this but 🤷‍♂️.

• Like 1