kayumanggi

Weekend Actuals (Jun 23 - 25) | 19.00M ATSV | 18.44M ELEMENTAL | 15.14M THE FLASH | 15.00M NO HARD FEELINGS

3 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

20m OW is not good for NHF. It has a 45m budget. Don’t see how it can reach the 115m break even. I doubt international markets will care for it at all.

It should have solid legs. Don't see it making less than 60-70m DOM with a 20m OW and its kind of wom, being an original R-rated comedy, unless something like Barbie really knocks its legs over.

3 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

20m OW is not good for NHF. It has a 45m budget. Don’t see how it can reach the 115m break even. I doubt international markets will care for it at all.

Most comedies these days are lucky to make that $20M total by the end of their domestic, and even sometimes worldwide runs. So in this day and age, reaching that on the domestic opening weekend alone is a massive win in the streaming age.

• Like 7

Yeah, I'll concur with the take that the preview numbers are solid for No Hard Feelings and Asteroid City. The former looked like a wild card between Jennifer Lawrence's long break from theatrical releases and the dire financial state of big screen comedies, and the latter is running almost entirely on niche appeal.

15 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

It should have solid legs. Don't see it making less than 60-70m DOM with a 20m OW and its kind of wom, being an original R-rated comedy, unless something like Barbie really knocks its legs over.

$45m is still less than Ticket to Paradise's budget of $60m although that had two big names rather than just one and was a big hit OS. 

it's a decent film and after watching so many CGI heavy film, it was good to have something that was funny.

Ticket to Paradise was a PG-13 romantic comedy with two stars, and it opened to $16.5 million.

The Lost City was a PG-13 romantic comedy with two stars but also an action/adventure angle, and it opened to $30.5 million.

An R-rated raunchy original comedy starring one famous person and an unknown, opening to $20 million, in 2023, that's very strong. Most original comedies with stars end up as streaming exclusives these days.

• Like 21
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, Webslinger said:

Yeah, I'll concur with the take that the preview numbers are solid for No Hard Feelings and Asteroid City. The former looked like a wild card between Jennifer Lawrence's long break from theatrical releases and the dire financial state of big screen comedies, and the latter is running almost entirely on niche appeal.

Does the wide opening count as previews if had a limited run the week before?

I'm the ultimate doomposter but I judge a movie's success by how it does relative to reasonable expectations, not budget. I could care less what a movie made for studios that are going to refuse to pay their writers and sell off the TCMs of the world anyway. So with that said, nice start for NHF. 60m in today's world would be very promising.

I just want Indy to do 75m but keyser's post about it got me doomin.

• Like 13

During an interview with Screen Rant, the film's supervising sound editor Nancy Nugent revealed some shocking details about where some of its audio was sourced from.

"I'll tell you the truth; a lot of them were pulled from YouTube," she said about the cameos. "[We were] finding those old clips, and then it was a matter of removing music if there was music tied to it, or just cleaning it up."

The Simpsons GIF

• Haha 7

2 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

Feel like this is the most exciting box office weekend of the year so far

Yeah some pretty epic tension whether  Flash can drop closer to 80 or 70 and whether anything can hit 20M

• Haha 3

Nugget from weekdays thread: Wes Anderson has never had any film in any weekend of release gross more than $8.53M (Grand Budapest and Royal Tenebaums both got to the ~$8.5M range once)

Dont think Asteroid City sets a new high watermark, but could go for $7-$8M+

• Like 2