Eric S'ennui

C’MON BARBIE LET'S GO PARTY...AT LOS ALAMOS | BARBENHEIMER WEEKEND THREAD | We’re Thriving in our Plastic Fantastic Era | Mother Mothered with 162M | Daddy Exploded with 82.4M

Your Barbenheimer weekend plans  

175 members have voted

1. 1. What are you going to watch this weekend specifically?

4 minutes ago, upriser7 said:

huh ? Weren't both Lady Bird & Little Women Boxoffice hits ?? Lady Bird's budget was $10M and it collected $80M. Little Women's budget was $40M and it collected $220M

Shit, thanks for the correction on Little Women especially! That really legged out over Christmas. I think they're both incredible films fwiw, so I'm glad my memory was faulty there.

I absolutely stand by the idea that Gosling and Robbie are not active BO draws at all, though. Doubly impressive for this movie!

Since when is Margot Robbie 'box office poison'?   Suicide Squad was a smash hit mostly because of her.  What happened to the IP after that and the studio jumbling is to no fault of her.  Wolf of Wall Street was huge too though I can't really credit her for it but she did become a star with that performance.  Didn't Focus do well also?   She's a superstar. 

• Like 1

Except for Tom Cruise, the Rock, DiCaprio etc. no one can draw audiences to the theater by name alone. The flops of BR2049, Babylon, Amsterdam etc. are not the fault of Gosling or Robbie respectively. You can just as easily say Christian Bale is box office poison because Amsterdam flopped or Brad Pitt is box office poison because Babylon flopped. Original movies are just a tough sell nowadays.

Barbie Saturday, Oppenheimer in 70mm Sunday. My showing of the former is completely sold out except for the first three rows in addition to most shows the whole day filling up (this theater has it starting every 30 minutes). Been a while since I've seen something like it and evidence it's definitely not going to be as frontloaded as some are probably expecting.

We're going to the IMAX for 'Oppenheimer'.   I'm not sure we will catch 'Barbie' but I do want to see it and I wish it well.   This has been a horrible Summer so far for the box office.  

For the first time this Summer,  I'm excited to see numbers.  

58 minutes ago, MikeQ said:

I'm hoping for a combined total of $228.4M+ for Barbenheimer, as this would be the greatest sum for two big films (both $50M+) on a weekend (see spoiler box for the stats).

BOP's predictions for the weekend are 158.5M (Barbie) and 64.7M (Oppenheimer) for a total of 223.2M. 👀 (So close... please over-perform Barbenheimer. *fingers crossed*)

Peace,

Mike

Weekends with 2 films 50M+

Hide contents

80M+

June 22-24, 2018

• Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom — 148.0M
  • Incredibles 2 — 80.3M

June 19-21, 2015

• Jurassic World — 106.6M
  • Inside Out — 90.4M

60M+

June 21-23, 2013 (both openers)

• Monsters University — 82.4M
  • World War Z — 66.4M

Nov 29-December 1, 2013

• The Hunger Games: Catching Fire — 74.2M
  • Frozen — 67.4M

May 28-30, 2004

• Shrek 2 — 72.2M
  • The Day After Tomorrow — 68.7M

December 25-27, 2009

• Sherlock Holmes — 62.3M

50M+

June 10-12, 2022

• Jurassic World: Dominion — 145.1M
  • Top Gun: Maverick — 51.9M

May 25-27, 2007

• Pirates of the Caribbean: At World’s End — 114.7M
  • Shrek the Third — 53.0M

May 10-12, 2013

• Iron Man 3 — 72.5M
  • The Great Gatsby — 50.1M

May 10-12, 2019

• Avengers: Endgame — 63.3M
  • Pokémon Detective Pikachu — 54.4M

June 9-11, 2023

• Transformers: Rise of the Beasts — 61M
  • Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse — 55.5M

June 27-29, 2008 (both openers)

• Wall-E — 63.1
  • Wanted — 50.9M

June 8-10, 2012 (both openers)

• Madagascar 3: Europe’s Most Wanted — 60.3M
  • Prometheus — 51.1M

June 17-19, 2022

• Jurassic World: Dominion — 59.2M
  • Lightyear — 50.6M

June 26-28, 2015

• Jurassic World — 54.5M
  • Inside Out — 52.3M

December 29-31, 2017

• Star Wars: The Last Jedi — 52.5M
  • Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle — 50.1M

Interestingly, since the 2015 reboot, a Jurassic film has had a #1 weekend of at least $50M seven different times …

… and except for the original, record breaking JW, the second place film has grossed at least $46M (2xIO, 2xIncrd, TGM & Lightyear)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, upriser7 said:

I am just now reading about Scientology for the first time and ngl, this shit sounds batshit crazy. I can't believe there were so many rich people that were (still are ?) part of this

• Haha 1

Yeah, retire the term 'box office poison'. Robbie led I, Tonya to big numbers based on her performance alone and has starred in smashes like WoWS, Suicide Squad and Tarzan. Granted those films had other things going for them but true BO poison should repulse audiences regardless.

Gosling has had The Notebook, Crazy, Stupid, Love and a respectable opening for Blade Runner. His less commercially appealing ventures open consistently around 11M, much more than most other actors can open films to.

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

Yeah, retire the term 'box office poison'. Robbie led I, Tonya to big numbers based on her performance alone and has starred in smashes like WoWS, Suicide Squad and Tarzan. Granted those films had other things going for them but true BO poison should repulse audiences regardless.

Gosling has had The Notebook, Crazy, Stupid, Love and a respectable opening for Blade Runner. His less commercially appealing ventures open consistently around 11M, much more than most other actors can open films to.

You forgot La La Land, The Big Short, and Drive becoming a cult sensation

Oppenheimer Friday night. Barbie...eventually. I'll wait until the crowds die down for it a bit and help it's later legs. There's a fair chance I see Haunted Mansion, Mutant Mayhem and Meg 2 then catch it in August after that because I'm not sure I'm seeing anything else that's new in August. I don't plan on seeing Blue Beetle at the moment though that could change. I'll probably catch Barbie before Talk To Me though. Or, maybe do a Barbie/Talk To Me double feature? That could be fun.

145M for Barbie, 75M for Oppenheimer is my final guess.

Anyways, at this stage it’s safe to say I’m about to lose my 10M previews and 100M OW bets for Barbie so my hair and eyebrows will be going soon. But I’m out of town for the weekend so it’ll be a few days until I get them shaved (and see both movies). I am a man of my word though and will do the deed.

• Disbelief 1