Eric Lasagna

C’MON BARBIE LET'S GO PARTY...AT LOS ALAMOS | BARBENHEIMER WEEKEND THREAD | We’re Thriving in our Plastic Fantastic Era | Mother Mothered with 162M | Daddy Exploded with 82.4M

Your Barbenheimer weekend plans  

175 members have voted

1. 1. What are you going to watch this weekend specifically?

Hot Wheels doesn't really make sense as a movie, it'd end up like Need For Speed.

Masters of the Universe makes the most sense to adapt plus you can do a lot better than the previous version. The only niggle is that WB has ThunderCats in development and that's similar although with differences to Masters of the Universe. 

In my country Barbie got best post pandemic opening after Spider man Holland.

And the crazy thing after a second day seems near to the first saturday seems going higher and higher with same places going from 18 showings First day to 30. The movie is #1 on Twitter trend from 2 days. 

Probably spider man record will be beat on saturday (and in the third day). This movie is going to insane levels. 

Hot Wheels sounds ridiculous… where is the option for social commentary/satire there? Only reason Barbie works. Turnout would likely be a sausage fest too, and we know how shaky it is to get a hit when these movies leave out female appeal altogether. You got a build up to a John Wick situation in that case. 

2 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Hot Wheels sounds ridiculous… where is the option for social commentary/satire there?

Cars is a Hot Wheels movie. It's just a sports/racing movie not a big vehicle for meta commentary. Need for Speed flopped but I'm sure there's a version of Need for Speed that's a hit and a hit "hot wheels movie" has easy merch monetization. 

Edited by PlatnumRoyce
  • Like 2

I guess not that we should expect anything less but Oppenheimer is sold out tonight at my local theater. Barbie has about 15 shows throughout the day and the two latest shows are 9:30 and 10:45 and the only seats left are some of the very front seats. 10:45 in the theater is almost sold out. That's just mind blowing to me.

52 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

You can easily do a consistent reflection on what it means to be a military soldier, tackling toxic masculinity (vs say healthy masculinity) in GI Joe. Whether it would be good or not is a different story. 

And I think these are trickie target group/audience wise. E.g. if you go too extreme feminist messaging with Barbie and yell down with the patriarchy in every other sentence, you will for sure get a niche but at the same time you might alienate a more traditional audience segment that don't share those sentiments. The same goes if you would do Barbie with too nostalgic and traditional values with conservative role separations what it means to be a woman and a man.

And same goes with that G.I. Joe. Of course there are many other factors and the general authenticity of it but I think these spectrums are clear undertones and define if they are for GA or niche.

12 minutes ago, baumer said:

I guess not that we should expect anything less but Oppenheimer is sold out tonight at my local theater. Barbie has about 15 shows throughout the day and the two latest shows are 9:30 and 10:45 and the only seats left are some of the very front seats. 10:45 in the theater is almost sold out. That's just mind blowing to me.

I just saw in my country Barbie sold out screenings at 00.05 AM 🤣

Edited by vale9001
  • Haha 1
  • Astonished 2

1 hour ago, Killimano3 said:

I wonder how much of an audience would buy into that sort of thing though. Feminist movies always work because there's very few women who are anti-feminist, so it automatically appeals to essentially every woman (at least the relevant younger demographics). But any movie dealing with "toxic masculinity" in a direct manner will always see a huge group of its target audience reject it immediately and probably make a big deal about it being woke propaganda for months 

1 hour ago, Water Bottle said:

You can easily do a consistent reflection on what it means to be a military soldier, tackling toxic masculinity (vs say healthy masculinity) in GI Joe. Whether it would be good or not is a different story. 

Basically remake the first Rambo movie but call it G.I. Joe.

Edited by eddyxx
  • Like 2

https://deadline.com/2023/07/box-office-barbie-oppenheimer-barbenheimer-1235443828/

Friday Miday: Warner Bros.’ Barbie is eyeing $68M-70M today, including last night’s previews, for what’s shaping up to be the best opening of the year with $150M at 4,243 theaters. That would beat the 3-day of Super Mario Bros‘ $146.3M. Some rivals see higher like $165M-$170M but it’s still early and everyone is getting excited. Remember, female skewing movies are very front-loaded (remember a movie called Twilight?).

Universal’s Oppenheimer is certainly not getting scraps: It’s headed for $32M today, including previews, and a $75M 3-day at 3,610 theaters. That’s higher than Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny‘s $60.3M start. Wow.

Do your math, the two titles are fueling $225M alone this weekend.

So far, Paramount’s Mission: Impossible – Dead Reckoning despite shedding Imax, isn’t taking a horrible hit, -54% in weekend 2 with $25M with a $124.2M running total. Friday is looking like $6.6M.

Angel Studios’ Sound of Freedom at 3,285 is resilient as well with an amazing $20M, -26%, weekend 3 and running total of $124.4M. Disney’s Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny is fifth with an estimated fourth weekend of $7M, -43% and running cume by Sunday of $159.3M.

• Like 1

I know a lot of people here find the meme dumb or tiring, but at this point it's hard to deny that the Barbenheimer meme is the secret sauce this weekend. Of course these movies would have both been successful on their own, but Barbenhemier elevated them to a cultural event. Did anyone turn on their local news this morning and see HOW MANY 2-anchor shows had one person dress in all pink, and the other in all black? It's insane. 

Now we wait for studios to try and awkwardly and forceably recreate the magic.

2 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

I just saw in my country Barbie sold out screenings at 00.05 AM 🤣

BFI IMAX in London sold out the 4am show last night and also tonight for Oppenheimer. Insane.

Edited by Heretic