Eric Lasagna

C’MON BARBIE LET'S GO PARTY...AT LOS ALAMOS | BARBENHEIMER WEEKEND THREAD | We’re Thriving in our Plastic Fantastic Era | Mother Mothered with 162M | Daddy Exploded with 82.4M

Your Barbenheimer weekend plans  

175 members have voted

1. 1. What are you going to watch this weekend specifically?

Since this thread has seen a lot of this, it's time to bring this back after a decade

On 2/12/2013 at 5:29 AM, Plain Old Tele said:

I realize that everyone is entitled to his opinion, and I respect this. I also hope that you will all respect mine as you read this letter. Let us note first of all that the blatant ignorance and social maladjustment of Mr. Sam Raimi's magic-bullet explanations will deface property with racially and sexually derogatory epithets and offensive symbols any day now. Sadly, lack of space prevents me from elaborating further. Raimi relies heavily on "useful idiots", that is, people who unwittingly do Raimi's dirty work for him. Without his swarms of useful idiots, Raimi would not have been able to conceal the fact that he has long been getting away with achieving total world domination. I urge all of my beautiful and loyal fans to walk with me side-by-side as we march up the steps of justice to right this unconscionable wrong and prove to the world that you don't need me to tell you that Raimi's sick-minded dream is starting to come true. Liberties are being killed by attrition. Unilateralism is being installed by accretion. The only way that we can reverse these lickerish trends is to knock some sense into Raimi. To be precise, his fusillades may have been conceived in idealism, but they quickly degenerated into disorganized nativism.

Raimi may legitimize the fear and hatred of the privileged for the oppressed right after he reads this letter. Let him. In the near future, I will honor our nation's glorious mosaic of cultures and ethnicities. It has been revealed that he plans to hijack the word "contradistinctive" and use it to change the course of history. First reaction yields that perusing the membership of his coterie is like taking a tour of Dick Tracy's Rogue's Gallery. A little more thought leads to the more accurate conclusion that Raimi is trying to commit confrontational, in-your-face acts of violence, intimidation, and incivility. His mission? To infringe upon our most important constitutional rights.

I don't want to overstate this point, but Raimi is trapped in a vicious cycle. The more opposition to his suggestions he faces, the more dictatorial he becomes. The more dictatorial he becomes, the more opposition to his suggestions he faces. Just don't expect consistency from a man who is completely and unquestionably slimy. If Raimi could have one wish, he'd wish for the ability to ridicule, parody, censor, and downgrade opposing ideas. Then, people the world over would be too terrified to acknowledge that Raimi's pals contend that the purpose of life is self-gratification. I say to them, "Prove it"—not that they'll be able to, of course, but because I shall be blamed by ignorant persons when I say that I avoid the most unconscionable storytellers you'll ever see like the plague. Cruel as that maxim may appear, his favorite tactic is known as "deceiving with the truth". The idea behind this tactic is that Raimi wins our trust by revealing the truth but leaving some of it out. This makes us less likely to discuss the advantages of two-parent families, the essential role of individual and family responsibility, the need for uniform standards of civil behavior, and the primacy of the work ethic.

Statements like, "Raimi's virtual absence of intellectual self-critique may be a source of his insistence that war is peace, freedom is slavery, and ignorance is strength" accurately express the feelings of most of us here. Since Raimi claims to know more than the rest of us, I'm sure he's aware that people often get the impression that pea-brained, appalling nincompoops and Raimi's apparatchiks are separate entities. Not so. When one catches cold, the other sneezes. As proof, note that many of the ribald parvenus I've encountered are convinced that it's illegal to establish democracy and equality—or, if it isn't illegal, then it ought to be. This view is self-centered by any stretch of the imagination and reflects how many people respond to Raimi's footling, spleenful prophecies in much the same way that they respond to television dramas. They watch them; they talk about them; but they feel no overwhelming compulsion to do anything about them. That's why I insist we report as best as possible the facts and circumstances surrounding Raimi's impulsive views.

I receive a great deal of correspondence from people all over the world. One of the things that impresses me about all of it is the massive number of people who realize that unlike Raimi, when I make a mistake I'm willing to admit it. Consequently, if—and I'm bending over backwards to maintain the illusion of "innocent until proven guilty"—he were not actually responsible for trying to acquire power and use it to indoctrinate philopolemical, sneaky Zoilists, then I'd stop saying that Raimi makes a living out of classism. I call this tactic of his "entrepreneurial classism". Raimi and his comrades have certainly raised entrepreneurial classism to a fine art by using it to pander to our worst fears. I have seen what Raimi is capable of, and I am afraid. I am very afraid and I am very angry. He doesn't want us to do something good for others. He would rather we settle for the meatless bone of presentism.

Raimi wants you to believe that representative government is an outmoded system that should be replaced by a system of overt ruffianism. You should be wary of such claims. Be aware! Be skeptical! Think! Do not be diverted, deceived, or mesmerized by Raimi's temperamental, fatuitous expedients.

When I look back I think, "Raimi's arguments don't even prove his point." Now let's go back to what I was saying earlier about how my life's work is to draw a picture of what we conceive of under the word "individualistic". As I previously stated, in asserting that human rights can best be protected by suspending them altogether, Raimi demonstrates an astounding narrowness of vision.

We can never return to the past. And if we are ever to move forward to the future, we indeed have to debunk the nonsense spouted by Raimi's loyalists. Were he alive today, Hideki Tojo would be Raimi's most trustworthy ally. I can see Tojo joining forces with Raimi to help him take us all back to the Stone Age. For heaven's sake, he looks down upon the rest of us. From Raimi's perspective, we are blind so he must tell us what to see; we are deaf so he must tell us what to hear; and we are mute so he must tell us what to say. Such views may fool acrimonious, repressive idiots, but I maintain that Raimi should stop protesting against his weaknesses and shortcomings. Rather, he should forgive himself for them and seek to strengthen himself by facing his crapulous, malicious fears. Then, perhaps, Raimi would stop distorting the facts.

Raimi should pay for his mistakes. But there is a further-reaching implication: If his plan to base racial definitions on lineage, phrenological characteristics, skin hue, and religion is to be discouraged then the wisest course of action is to move as expeditiously as possible to help people break free of Raimi's cycle of oppression. Before we start down that road I ought to remind you that his calumnies are not pedantic treatises expressing theories or extravaganzas dealing in fables or fancies. They are substantial, sober outpourings from the very soul of triumphalism.

While some of Raimi's maneuvers are very attractive on the surface and are unequivocally entertaining, they ultimately serve to make bigotry respectable. Raimi insists that he is a voice of probity. This fraud, this lie, is just one among the thousands he perpetrates. When people see balmy wisenheimers behaving like balmy wisenheimers they begin to realize that according to Raimi, we should all bear the brunt of his actions. He might as well be reading tea leaves or tossing chicken bones on the floor for divination about what's true and what isn't. Maybe then Raimi would realize that we doubtlessly can't afford to let him focus too much on one side of the equation and not enough on the broader perspective of things. What I'm suggesting is that we address the legitimate anger, fear, and alienation of people who have been mobilized by Raimi because they saw no other options for change. That's the key to supplying the missing ingredient that could stop the worldwide slide into sciolism, and it's the only way that most people will ever learn that we've all heard Raimi yammer and whine about how he's being scapegoated again, the poor dear. Now that I've said what I had to say, I should remark that this letter may not endear me to some people. Indeed, it may even cost me a friend or two. However, friends do not let friends get trampled by daffy liars and cheats like Mr. Sam Raimi. The truth is the truth and we pay a steep price whenever we ignore it.

• Heart 3
  • Astonished 1

Of course the Robbie hate is 100% sexist. Babylon was by supposedly popular director Damien Chazzelle and costarred Brad fucking Pitt! Sexist is probably the only word to use for a take which blames its performance entirely on her.

Robbie is very famous, very likable, and hot AF. She is the only person who could have gotten a Barbie movie to open to $160m. Perfect combo of star and character.

Time to give her the credit she deserves. Weren't there people recently saying Jennifer Lawrence was more bankable? LOL

Edited by excel1
  • Like 1
  • Disbelief 1

5 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

Chances actuals are a couple million higher for both?

For sure on Barbie, but Universal appears to have been more aggressive with their Sunday estimate for Oppy, less room to beat it out, but still could come up $1M+

Just now, Brainbug said:

Margot Robbies filmography is mostly composed of successes and a few extreme bombs and i think since the bombs happened in more recent times, the notion of her beeing box office poison stuck for some people.

I disagree with that btw, i think films like Babylon, Amsterdam or The Suicide Squad would have bombed regardless of the actors involved in it.

It’s just absolute madness to me. Hell, my mom knows who Margot Robbie is and she knows that for ages and not through me, woman is incredibly popular and had ‘bombs’ with what, two indies and a day and date film? Why aren’t we calling Idris Elba or Will Smith box office poison too while we are at it? It just doesn’t make sense to me and it’s just one of these stupid narratives that go in circles here.

In less than 3 months I read that two persons were "box office poison" here on BOT: Margot Robbie and  Hailee Stenfield. Stenfield, the woman that was the lead on the single decent Transformers film ever made and one of the co-stars of the Spider-Verse films. It just doesn’t make sense to me why always young women are the ones called box office poison.

• Like 1

That Dead Reckoning drop is awful. It may just barely beat out Fallout's third weekend, and 65% would be bad enough a drop if it weren't for the movie already having a deflated 3-day. Add the previews in and it's looking like a 70% drop. Factor in the Wednesday/Thursday business that would have otherwise been during the weekend, and it's even worse.

I wonder how many movies have dropped that hard with solidly positive reception (A cinemascore, high 90s RT) from both critics and audiences.

6 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

So, unless Gunn's DC universe is a smash hit which snowballs into an Avengers-level run for the inevitable Justice League redo, it looks like Harry Potter 8 will keep the Warner opening record for perpetuity.

it won't.