Eric Prime

C’MON BARBIE LET'S GO PARTY...AT LOS ALAMOS | BARBENHEIMER WEEKEND THREAD | We’re Thriving in our Plastic Fantastic Era | Mother Mothered with 162M | Daddy Exploded with 82.4M

Your Barbenheimer weekend plans  

175 members have voted

1. 1. What are you going to watch this weekend specifically?

Awesome weekend. Haven't had time to read the thread, but I hope people aren't seeing Barbie as a "disappointment." $160m-ish with a smaller amount of PLF's is fantastic. And Oppenheimer doing incredible. Feels good to feel good about the box office again.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

The opening is pretty hard to believe. But I also have a tough time believing the legs will be strong given the content of the movie. It’s definitely not a “fun” summer movie. That said, it seems to have a pretty good chance to reach $200M. Anything over that is just icing on the cake for Universal. 

So far I have no worry about Oppenheimer's leg. The exit poll is fantastic with 93% PostTrak, 5 star grade, 94% verified score and A cinemascore. All indicate a great WOM.

Also, I remember people has the some concern for Joker's leg because that movie isn't a typical crowdpleaser and slow moving. Yes, but don't forget that movie is very special and memorable even for many who don't like it. That novelty strike some chord among GA and allow the movie to leg out.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, M37 said:

The key is not the difference between screens, but widening the gap between home viewing and theatrical, to make it worth someone’s time and money 

What people are paying for is something they cannot get at home, whether that be the viewing experience and/or the exclusivity of the content. The more it becomes an “and” the higher the demand, and that’s why PLF shows sell so well 

Exactly. In the old days, I hated buying a ticket and walking into a very small auditorium. Thankfully we have reserved seating charts that now help reveal the tiny size or large size auditorium for a particular showtime. 

• Like 1

It’s been 2 days and I still can’t get Oppenheimer out of my head. Nolan’s crowning achievement. Won’t be surprised by 3x+ legs imo, it really is a special film

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, Ororo Munroe said:

Barbie surpassing Mario domestically? I'm having a very difficult time seeing that. Can it even get to 500M? I'm not yet convinced of that either. 

Hard? Sure, but there is a pathway. What is so interesting about how incredibly similar and diametrically different these two films are. One is a very run of the mill, very safe adaptation of a beloved multigenerational IP. The other, it’s a very creative with the story it’s telling, but it’s still very much a beloved IP, both with an insane amount of built in audiences attached to them. One was divisive among film critics at very best, the other is beloved by the critics and it seems like the public is very much onboard with it. 

Here is what I think: topping $500m is hard, let alone topping SMB’s $575m. But if there is a film that has the potential to pull it off, it’s Barbie, when it comes to the domestic market. What I find interesting is how Barbie has a lot going for it for something like that to happen: it opened right by the end of July (without us really knowing that it would end up becoming the main attraction of the Summer slate), and it has very scarce competition ahead. It’s not an animation film - which obviously tend to have better legs when it hits with the GA, like SMB and Elemental this year - and while I wouldn’t call this film safe, I agree with you that the power of Barbie’s brand is strong, so I think that the combo of WOM, power of the brand and overall praise to the phenomenon that this film has become might make it possible. If it’s a $155m, that’s a 3.7multiplier.

So yeah I might have gotten a bit carried away and I wouldn’t bet it’s happening, but I legit think it has something of a 10% chance of pulling it off. The strike, how Barbie and Oppenheimer ended up as the last films with real promotion by the stars might help Barbie to just keep going. I’m very excited for TMNT and Blue Beetle next month, but I feel like the conditions that helped SMB to go as big as it did are also present here.

Edited by ZattMurdock

20 minutes ago, Ororo Munroe said:

Barbie surpassing Mario domestically? I'm having a very difficult time seeing that. Can it even get to 500M? I'm not yet convinced of that either. 

It probably would of needed 200+mil OW to of had any chancr at passing Mario, and even then it would be far from certain imo.

In fact with the way people on here were hyping the movie, i was kind of expecting 200mil OW. Now its very very good OW kind of looks a little dissapointing to me.

21 minutes ago, upriser7 said:

I am surprised that there is a state in US which doesn't have Dolby...by any chance, you live in Alaska ?

According to the Dolby website (cause AMC corp didn't have any easy to pull list), there are 127 Dolby Cinema locations in just 30 states (including DC), meaning 21 without one, another 9 with just a single one

And 106 of those sites concentrated in just 15 states, with over half (66) in just 5 states: CA, TX, FL, IL, NJ

• Like 1

Just now, grey ghost said:

Where does Barbie rank for WB's biggest opening weekends? 

5th place. Just under Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows Part #2, Batman v Superman, The Dark Knight Rises, The Dark Knight. 

• Like 1