Eric is Quiet

C’MON BARBIE LET'S GO PARTY...AT LOS ALAMOS | BARBENHEIMER WEEKEND THREAD | We’re Thriving in our Plastic Fantastic Era | Mother Mothered with 162M | Daddy Exploded with 82.4M

Your Barbenheimer weekend plans  

175 members have voted

1. 1. What are you going to watch this weekend specifically?

5 minutes ago, across the Jat verse said:

Barbie could be 60M ish. Oppy 37 ish.

Barbie being really frontloaded is a possibility based on the early Saturday number, but still 60% drop idk. With the glowing word of mouth and IMAX screen sell outs well past next weekend I can’t imagine Oppenheimer dipping 50% either. Even Dark Knight was only a 52% hit

6 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

Is this where people are acting like $150M is a bad number for 'Barbie'?  Have a found the right place? 

Would you expect nothing less.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Barbie being frontloaded after all is absolutely not what I was here for. What about the CS, don’t these people know? What about how I had actually come around to being good with it crushing Mario? Am I just supposed to be OK with it not now?? What is any of this 

Really? I thought Barbie being frontloaded was a given. People are dressing up in pink and storming theaters to watch Barbie. Regal site was down for bit because of demand. It feels more like a CBM craze than a regular blockbuster. 

• Like 7

1 minute ago, TheFlatLannister said:

Really? I thought Barbie being frontloaded was a given. People are dressing up in pink and storming theaters to watch Barbie. Regal site was down for bit because of demand. It feels more like a CBM craze than a regular blockbuster. 

Yup, now that you said it that sounds about right. People dressed up for it and rushing to see it ASAP, sure sounds like a superhero origin story kind of thing.

what I am really interested to see is the OS run anyhow, people over here are really treating it like some next level cultural thing.

2 minutes ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

TGM being the behemoth that it was I'm ok with.

However me whenever Illumination movies are monsters at the BO

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b9529dnpq92hgmewwb1wau

Illumination is a God-given gift if you are a parent, that’s all I’m saying about it 

Oppenheimer really did a better job of selling the IMAX experience than Dunkirk.

For instance I was able to get a Dunkirk ticket on short notice.

An Oppenheimer ticket? Weekdays in the second week are nearly sold out.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Mango said:

Barbie being really frontloaded is a possibility based on the early Saturday number, but still 60% drop idk. With the glowing word of mouth and IMAX screen sell outs well past next weekend I can’t imagine Oppenheimer dipping 50% either. Even Dark Knight was only a 52% hit

Perhaps a drop similar to Dunkirk. These are Nolan’s 2nd weekend drops in July: 

-61% for TDKR

-52% for TDK 

-47% for Dunkirk 

-32% for Inception

22 minutes ago, TheFlatLannister said:

Fan rush for sure. Barbie is the NWH for females 

Well a lot more women saw NWH then men will see Barbie because Barbie is not getting anywhere that movies gross. It shows how much more open women are in going to ''guy movies' then men are the opposite. 

• Like 4

The scary aspect of all this is, even if Barbie and Oppenheimer are both frontloaded (even if the latter is less so), the fact that MI7 died in its second week is way more worrisome. Not only do films in heavy periods like now have to perform well in their first week, but because of the nature of the busy season, they really only have that first weekend. Unless you're a filmed aimed at an underserved audience.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

Is this where people are acting like $150M is a bad number for 'Barbie'?  Have a found the right place? 

If only they had put out a morbius sequel we could have had a real opening...

Looks like two headliners combined will be just over 200m for FSS, 235 total. Will the weekend overall be over 300m? I think DL ended up just a bit bullish when they made that pronouncement. Could come in a touch under.  

I see a drop between 55-60 for Barbie. I don't see it having a better drop than Spider-Verse but it could have a similar drop to TLM's. Wouldn't be surprised if Barbie had a harsher drop though because it does feel like one of those movies where some people would rush to see once, if only out of curiosity.