Eric is Quiet

C’MON BARBIE LET'S GO PARTY...AT LOS ALAMOS | BARBENHEIMER WEEKEND THREAD | We’re Thriving in our Plastic Fantastic Era | Mother Mothered with 162M | Daddy Exploded with 82.4M

Your Barbenheimer weekend plans  

175 members have voted

1. 1. What are you going to watch this weekend specifically?

how did the universal marketing team manage to turn Oppeneimer into a plf event capable of outgrossing Avatar 2's ww-c imax ow gross by 2 million?

Edited by interiorgatordecorator
  • Astonished 1

5 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

Didn't it get announced pretty late last year anyway? I think we had maybe a week's notice in the UK

Seems like it was only announced on August 28th before happening on September 3rd. Which makes sense, theaters wouldn't want to risk eating into the sales of the previous weekends by prematurely announcing that movies will be discounted on a certain day. Who's gonna see Blue Beetle for $15 if they know it'll be $3 a week or two later?

Hopefully it happens again this year, it'd be cool. Though, no matter how much of a dead period we get in September, I don't think it can compare to how dead last year was. Top Gun topped the Cinema Day weekend box office with $6M in its 15th weekend.

6 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

My first introduction to Margot Robbie was on the ABC flop series Pan Am. ABC spent $10 million on the pilot which was a lot of money at the time. Kinda crazy following her career since then tbh. I feel like I've followed her since she came to Hollywood from the start.

Just a few weeks ago Sony Television uploaded the pilot of that failed Mad Men wannabe almost certainly because of the Star Moment she's having with this movie:

Universal also uploaded her scenes from About Time (released nearly two months before The Wolf of Wall Street would catapult her past "unknown" status) on their channel the other day too. Everyone wants to be on the Robbie train reminding us how far she's come in just the span of a decade.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 1

• Community Manager
2 minutes ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

how did the universal marketing team manage to turn Oppeneimer into a plf event capable of outgrossing Avatar 2's ow dom imax gross by 4 million?

They had a countdown on the trailer that actually counted down as time passed.

(I also think even though not everyone did the double screening, Barbiehammer ensured both movies had super high awareness which obviously led to more interest). 

• Like 3

Oppenheimer also stellar, another shift in gears for Nolan, maybe his strongest script and dialogue. Basically doing his JFK/The Social Network.

All the personal relationships throughout the film feel natural and textured in a way that pleasantly surprised me considering the limited screen time for some. He really lets all the actors just shine, everybody is aces but Downey especially. 

It has all the clever tricks and storytelling devices that make a Nolan film so satisfying to watch; dialogue that comes full circle, non-linear storytelling, sleight of hand, intercutting of sequences galore and a propulsive score by Ludwig to top it all off. 

This is a great weekend for the movies, the films are wonderful, the box-office is exciting and I’m hopeful that both Barbie and Oppenheimer will continue to perform strongly through the rest of summer.

Great Success Win GIF

• Like 5

kinda glad this thread won't hit 200 pages, some of you guy's attempts to up the page count during Wednesday and Thursday were pretty forced

• Knock It Off 1

29 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

Sadly I do know lots of people who would go to the theater more but they can't afford it.  :( The AMC pass is great though. 

Heck, my whole family would.  

As for the ongoing "more PLF needed" discussion, I would never advocate for more PLF until numbers are run on WHO is at PLF and WHY.  Is it just Regal and AMC subscribers making up the bulk of PLF b/c they don't pay any more money?  Is it frequent goers who pay full price?  Is it once a year folks just coming out for "their" movie?  I suspect, it's mostly subscribers, and no one is directly paying for them, outside the huge PLF-oriented releases (Avatar, Oppenheimer).  For run of the mill movies, very little "extra" money is probably going to theaters for the PLF nature of the seats...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Nuts when you think about how Suicide Squad's opening is HIGHER than Barbie when you adjust for inflation. I think people forget what a chokehold that movie had on people in summer 2016.

And how crazy inflation has been the last couple years. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Water Bottle said:

They had a countdown on the trailer that actually counted down as time passed.

(I also think even though not everyone did the double screening, Barbiehammer ensured both movies had super high awareness which obviously led to more interest). 

I wonder if the heads of WB and Universal will be giving each other something special. I'd give Universal an Oppenheimer Ken and Universal should give WB a picture of Christopher Nolan watching Barbie.

Just now, interiorgatordecorator said:

how did the universal marketing team manage to turn Oppeneimer into a plf event capable of outgrossing Avatar 2's ow dom imax gross by 4 million?

By % wise, Nolan has been consistently making 25% of the domestic BO from IMAX, regardless how big or small the OW. His fans are very obedient and loyal that no matter how pricy the ticket are, they will flood the IMAX hall. With $21m+ IMAX gross , there is even slight chance for Oppenheimer to challenge A2's $88m IMAX total gross last year. 

Also tbf, Cameron wasn't that into IMAX this round for A2, he seem to champion Dolby more this round for Avatar 2 and that caused some shift of BO gross to Dolby. 

8 minutes ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

how did the universal marketing team manage to turn Oppeneimer into a plf event capable of outgrossing Avatar 2's os-c imax ow gross by 2 million?

Nolan. Nolan. Nolan

• Like 1

To be honest I'm disappointed in the weekend number of Barbie.
If somebody would have told me months ago that Barbie could get more than 150M OW I would have said "Wow, that optimistic".
But now, after all the buzz and the tracking (also my own) I expected more. That's the problem with the internet hype and exaggerations.

1 hour ago, kayumanggi said:

Said it before here, and I'll say it again. Dead Reckoning Part 2 is absolutely moving to summer 2025.

Not only did they not complete filming but according to McQuarrie, they still hadn't figured out how exactly it was going to end. Take into account both SAG and WGA Strikes and vacating it's June '24 slot is inevitable. Especially if things aren't resolved till October.

Be smart and slot it at July 25. That's two weeks after Superman: Legacy (which I don't foresee getting delayed as it's script is done and they're still moving forward for a late January start - which could get pushed to March/April, worst case scenario) and allows them to get all those premium-format screens locked down.

Edited by filmnerdjamie
  • Like 1

Just now, filmnerdjamie said:

Said it before here, and I'll say it again. Dead Reckoning Part 2 is absolutely moving to summer 2025.

Not only did they not complete filming but according to McQuarrie, they still hadn't figured out how exactly it was going to end. Take into account both SAG and WGA Strikes and vacating it's June '24 slot. Especially if things aren't resolved till October.

Be smart and slot it at July 25. That's two weeks after Superman: Legacy (which I don't foresee getting delayed as it's script is done and they're still moving forward for a late January start - which could get pushed to March/April, worst case scenario) and allows them to get all those premium-format screens locked down.

Surely December would be better given it's about half done. It's pretty empty aside from Thunderbolts and given that's not even filming is looking iffy for a 2024 release. 

1 minute ago, filmnerdjamie said:

Not only did they not complete filming but according to McQuarrie, they still hadn't figured out how exactly it was going to end. Take into account both SAG and WGA Strikes and vacating it's June '24 slot is inevitable. Especially if things aren't resolved till October.

if Gladiator 2 gets delayed and wonder if DR2 can take its November 2024 date 

1 hour ago, kayumanggi said:

But if it's two openers on the same weekend? Is it WORLD WAR Z?

Yes! This weekend is one for the record books - will likely be even better with actuals, assuming Barbenheimer increases with better Sunday holds for each.

This is also the first July weekend to join the "weekends with 2 films 50M+" club - and they're both openers. What an exciting weekend it has been.

Weekends with 2 films 50M+

80M+

July 21-23, 2023 (both openers)

• Barbie — 155.0M
  • Oppenheimer — 80.5M

June 22-24, 2018

• Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom — 148.0M
  • Incredibles 2 — 80.3M

June 19-21, 2015

• Jurassic World — 106.6M
  • Inside Out — 90.4M

60M+

June 21-23, 2013 (both openers)

• Monsters University — 82.4M
  • World War Z — 66.4M

Nov 29-December 1, 2013

• The Hunger Games: Catching Fire — 74.2M
  • Frozen — 67.4M

May 28-30, 2004

• Shrek 2 — 72.2M
  • The Day After Tomorrow — 68.7M

December 25-27, 2009

• Sherlock Holmes — 62.3M

50M+

June 10-12, 2022

• Jurassic World: Dominion — 145.1M
  • Top Gun: Maverick — 51.9M

May 25-27, 2007

• Pirates of the Caribbean: At World’s End — 114.7M
  • Shrek the Third — 53.0M

May 10-12, 2013

• Iron Man 3 — 72.5M
  • The Great Gatsby — 50.1M

May 10-12, 2019

• Avengers: Endgame — 63.3M
  • Pokémon Detective Pikachu — 54.4M

June 9-11, 2023

• Transformers: Rise of the Beasts — 61M
  • Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse — 55.5M

June 27-29, 2008 (both openers)

• Wall-E — 63.1
  • Wanted — 50.9

June 8-10, 2012 (both openers)

• Madagascar 3: Europe’s Most Wanted — 60.3M
  • Prometheus — 51.1M

June 17-19, 2022

• Jurassic World: Dominion — 59.2M
  • Lightyear — 50.6M

June 26-28, 2015

• Jurassic World — 54.5M
  • Inside Out — 52.3M

December 29-31, 2017

• Star Wars: The Last Jedi — 52.5M
  • Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle — 50.1M

Peace,

Mike

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

how did the universal marketing team manage to turn Oppeneimer into a plf event capable of outgrossing Avatar 2's os-c imax ow gross by 2 million?

Oppenheimer was always going to be at least a decent success. Nolan is a draw and there is an audience for serious adult dramas. People saying it could flop always felt like concern trolling 

1 minute ago, el sid said:

To be honest I'm disappointed in the weekend number of Barbie.
If somebody would have told me months ago that Barbie could get more than 150M OW I would have said "Wow, that optimistic".
But now, after all the buzz and the tracking (also my own) I expected more. That's the problem with the internet hype and exaggerations.

Welcome to BOT. Hope you survive the experience. For your better enjoyment, please always listen to the voices saying to not overhype or underhype things. A lot of us have been saying it would land exactly somewhere around that is landing. Hyperbole is a thing here but only if you listen the most loud voices. A lot of us have been saying it’d land exactly where it’s landing: it’s still the biggest opening of the year for what it will likely biggest film of the year in the domestic market, at very least.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, filmnerdjamie said:

I don't think I'd slot MI in July...it's not really drawing great on weekdays anyway, and its adult audience will be there whether it's March or October...

I'd slot to stay away from flu season/Xmas wave (so no Dec-Feb), but I don't see why it could work for March and college spring breaks all month and adults looking to emerge from the long winter and see something fun.  

Same for the early May slot that tends to go to supers...either works...just whatever gets 2 weeks min of IMAX...