Shawn Robbins

The Box Office Buzz, Tracking, and Pre-Sale Thread

37 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

Summer and beyond doesn't look too bad, does it? And every year, there are surprises that pop up from indie studios.

Well, It depends. 

I just had a random look into 2013.

It turned out to have the following movies in Summer:

Iron Man 3
Despicable Me 2
Man of Steel
Monsters University
Fast 6
Star Trek into Darkness
World War Z
The Heat
We're the Millers (Yeah, Comedy was a thing back then!)
The Great Gatsby
The Conjuring
Grown Ups 2
Wolverine
Now you See me
The Butler
Hangover 3
Epic
Pacific Rim
This is the End

And that's only Movies doing $100m.

I had a look at my personal prediction for 2013 in December 2012, and it looked like this (summer Movies in bold)

Iron Man 3

350 Die Tribute von Panem 2

Ich - Einfach unverbesserlich 2

Der Hobbit 2

300 Star Trek 2

300 Man of Steel

260 Die Monster Uni

200 Gravity

Thor 2

185 Fast & Furious 6

175 Epic

The Wolverine
11 175 White House Down

Die Croods

14 160

Frozen

15 155 G.I. Joe 2

Die zauberhafte Welt von Oz
16 150 Hangover 3
16 150 The End of the World
16 150 Cloudy 2
16 150 The Heat
16 150 After Earth

So as you can see, i went with 13 movies crossing $150m that summer. Obviously, I was off by quite a bit on some, quite good on others. Looking at 2024 thoug, well, I really struggle to even find 5 movies I see crossing $150m with confidence. Those would be Deadpool 3, Despicable Me 4, Furiosa and Inside Out 2 and maybe Bad Boys 4, but I wouldn't bet my house on that one. Garfield would be a good bet as well, but am I certain? No, not really. 

That's why 2024 is different from everything we knew by quite a margin. It's a lack of movies, paired with a lack of sequels, that leaves a pretty uncertain future. As I said, it leaves a path for excitement and surprises, but all the Unknowns have to deliver. And there is no much room for failure. 

Edited by Poseidon
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

34 minutes ago, Poseidon said:

Well, It depends. 

I just had a random look into 2013.

It turned out to have the following movies in Summer:

Iron Man 3
Despicable Me 2
Man of Steel
Monsters University
Fast 6
Star Trek into Darkness
World War Z
The Heat
We're the Millers (Yeah, Comedy was a thing back then!)
The Great Gatsby
The Conjuring
Grown Ups 2
Wolverine
Now you See me
The Butler
Hangover 3
Epic
Pacific Rim
This is the End

And that's only Movies doing $100m.

I had a look at my personal prediction for 2013 in December 2012, and it looked like this (summer Movies in bold)

Iron Man 3

350 Die Tribute von Panem 2

Ich - Einfach unverbesserlich 2

Der Hobbit 2

300 Star Trek 2

300 Man of Steel

260 Die Monster Uni

200 Gravity

Thor 2

185 Fast & Furious 6

175 Epic

The Wolverine
11 175 White House Down

Die Croods

14 160

Frozen

15 155 G.I. Joe 2

Die zauberhafte Welt von Oz
16 150 Hangover 3
16 150 The End of the World
16 150 Cloudy 2
16 150 The Heat
16 150 After Earth

So as you can see, i went with 13 movies crossing $150m that summer. Obviously, I was off by quite a bit on some, quite good on others. Looking at 2024 thoug, well, I really struggle to even find 5 movies I see crossing $150m with confidence. Those would be Deadpool 3, Despicable Me 4, Furiosa and Inside Out 2 and maybe Bad Boys 4, but I wouldn't bet my house on that one. Garfield would be a good bet as well, but am I certain? No, not really. 

That's why 2024 is different from everything we knew by quite a margin. It's a lack of movies, paired with a lack of sequels, that leaves a pretty uncertain future. As I said, it leaves a path for excitement and surprises, but all the Unknowns have to deliver. And there is no much room for failure. 

Oh wow, 2024 is bleak.

This might not be the right place for this but in preparation for the Soul, Turning Red, and Luca re-releases I did some digging into recent re-releases.

Avatar in September 2022: $10,529,576 OW/$24,714,024 DOM

Titanic in February 2023: $6,714,684 OW/$15,033,795 DOM

The Nightmare Before Christmas in October 2023: $4,292,207 OW/$10,251,956 DOM

All three of these have multipliers between 2.30X and 2.45X

Kind of impressive consistency and a large multi for a re-release.

• Like 8
  • Astonished 1

8 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Turning Red could do something.  Luca needs to be in the summer, it’s just a summer movie through and through. I think Soul is too mature, unless adults really show up. 

Luca can't be in the summer because Inside Out 2 needs to be there more.

I think Luca works as a "spring break" movie too, I'm sure that's why they decided to put it after Turning Red. Obviously they don't want to cramp Inside Out 2's style.

Don't think Disney's really sweating the box office takes for any of them though, they'll be solid extra marketing vehicles for IO2 and maybe the Win or Lose D+ series.

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Eric Wonka said:

Quorum Updates

The Boys in the Boat T-0: 27.87% Awareness

The Color Purple T-0: 51.33%

Ferrari T-0: 34.02%

The Beekeeper T-18: 36.07%

I.S.S. T-25: 20.8%

Arthur the King T-88: 25.17%

The Watchers T-165: 28.28%

The Bikeriders T-179: 14.17%

Night Swim T-11: 32.85% Awareness

Final Awareness: 36% chance of 10M, 6% chance of 20M

Horror Awareness: 45% chance of 10M, 9% chance of 20M

Argylle T-39: 18.88% Awareness

T-30 Awareness: 13% chance of 10M

Medium Awareness: 11% chance of 10M

Still scratching my head at Universal/Apple's handling of Argyle. When they dropped that first trailer back in September it seemed like they were really going to push it hard and all of a sudden when the second trailer and push should be hitting they have gone radio silent except for a poster. Maybe the simplest explanation is that it just plains sucks. So why not just dump it on Apple+ ala Ghosted and Family Plan. Weird.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, cannastop said:

August is when school starts in a lot of the country also would be out of sync with the other re releases.

Thats ok, it’s not like kids movies have never done well during school. I think it’s a nice tome of year to not have to worry about major comp either. As I’ve mentioned, releasing them all together is stupid imo. They ensure there’s no chance of all of them doing well. 

• Disbelief 1

1 hour ago, AniNate said:

I think Luca works as a "spring break" movie too, I'm sure that's why they decided to put it after Turning Red. Obviously they don't want to cramp Inside Out 2's style.

Don't think Disney's really sweating the box office takes for any of them though, they'll be solid extra marketing vehicles for IO2 and maybe the Win or Lose D+ series.

Do you guys know which countries will get these releases?

So far I have just seen announcement for Latin America, The US and Japan. 

4 hours ago, emoviefan said:

Still scratching my head at Universal/Apple's handling of Argyle. When they dropped that first trailer back in September it seemed like they were really going to push it hard and all of a sudden when the second trailer and push should be hitting they have gone radio silent except for a poster. Maybe the simplest explanation is that it just plains sucks. So why not just dump it on Apple+ ala Ghosted and Family Plan. Weird.

The theatrical release will give it extra exposure (or at least an added aura of being a legitimate movie) for when it eventually lands on their streaming service. Same thing they're doing with the Clooney/Pitt and Johansson/Tatum movies that will also be released by Sony. That's probably the best you can hope for in this climate in which moviegoing has clearly become more of a niche hobby.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

The theatrical release will give it extra exposure (or at least an added aura of being a legitimate movie) for when it eventually lands on their streaming service. Same thing they're doing with the Clooney/Pitt and Johansson/Tatum movies that will also be released by Sony. That's probably the best you can hope for in this climate in which moviegoing has clearly become more of a niche hobby.

Yeah I get all that. But in order to get that  extra exposure  and make it seem legitimate some actual effort in the marketing would probably help. Otherwise they might as well of just dumped it straight to the streaming service. Which may be the whole problem with moviegoing right now. You got to get people excited to go the movies. Barbenheimer , Mario Bro's, Avatar WOW, TG Maverick, No Way Home all proved it can be done. 

11 hours ago, emoviefan said:

I think the first trailer was released late enough that they didn't feel the need for a second full trailer, and will just wait until tickets go on sale to release another piece3 of marketing. And that single trailer has been pushed very hard over the last three months, to the point that it's a bit of a meme on Film Twitter. I have to imagine they're just waiting for all of the holiday movies to have their moment before going full steam ahead.

Regarding the Pixar movies, I wouldn't overthink their release strategy too much; I think Disney just suddenly realized that they had nothing coming out in the 1st quarter of 2024 and figured that "re-releasing" these could be easy money.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, JonathanMB said:

I think the first trailer was released late enough that they didn't feel the need for a second full trailer, and will just wait until tickets go on sale to release another piece3 of marketing. And that single trailer has been pushed very hard over the last three months, to the point that it's a bit of a meme on Film Twitter. I have to imagine they're just waiting for all of the holiday movies to have their moment before going full steam ahead.

Regarding the Pixar movies, I wouldn't overthink their release strategy too much; I think Disney just suddenly realized that they had nothing coming out in the 1st quarter of 2024 and figured that "re-releasing" these could be easy money.

Exactly.  It's just about the quarterly stock report having something positive to report from theatrical releases.  They will only make what AMC/Regal subscribers who use "free" tickets will get them, since no GA movie goer, sans a rabid Disney fan, will pay full price anyway.  So, the release dates don't matter much...