Gavin Feng

Weekdays Thread: Barbie $9.1M MON | $9.6M TUES

In the last 2 weekends Barbie made around 3% less than the weekdays (96M-93M/55M-53M).

So with weekdays at around 32M this week the weekend should be at around 31M.

But no new releases this week so should have more premium screens than last week, so i Hope can reach around 33M (-38%).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, vale9001 said:

In the last 2 weekends Barbie made around 3% less than the weekdays (96M-93M/55M-53M).

So with weekdays at around 32M this week the weekend should be at around 31M.

But no new releases this week so should have more premium screens than last week, so i Hope can reach around 33M (-38%).

That vampire film is opening this weekend, and should barely impact Barbie.

I can see a mother of god hold for Barbie this weekend. Maybe even smaller than 38%.

11 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

Just madness that Barbie is putting up these numbers every day despite the average ticket price being less than the films around it in the record books. Amazing stuff. 

To be fair we have record inflation going on right now, not to knock Barbie's performance. It's still incredible with how many people not going to theaters these days and picking streaming.

• Like 1

I seriously have no idea how Avatar franchise achieved some crazy high BO and digital sales, but somehow generate little internet phenomenon as compared to other mega-franchise like HP, SW and Marvel or even DC. Do people just quietly liking Avatar franchise?  

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

I seriously have no idea how Avatar franchise achieved some crazy high BO and digital sales, but somehow generate little internet phenomenon as compared to other mega-franchise like HP, SW and Marvel or even DC. Do people just quietly liking Avatar franchise?  

I swear I’m just saying this as an observation rather than making a point about its quality (I’ve not seen it), but I’ve still yet to hear a single person mention it offline. It’s like the movie exists in a parallel universe to mine.

• Haha 6

54 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

A good example as to why we can’t judge a lot of movies just by their budget and box office performance. Yes, this is the extreme, but big films can easily make 100-200 million in profits just from digital sales and VOD, and then there are other ancillaries like TV/streaming rights down the road, etc that will be brining in money for decades. 

A film the MI7 is a perfect example. Sure, it will finish will about 700 million WW, but it’s a good film and the franchise is popular WW. It’s got lots of digital $$ ahead of it along with other ancillaries. 

• Like 4

Purely anecdotal, I feel like Avatar's one of those movies most people around me watched because it's a spectacle, but it's not exactly anyone's favourite movie. Again, anecdotal, I am aware that it has a huge fanbase. Personally I never watched it because I am just not interested in blue people pocahontas.  

• Like 1