kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers (actuals) | Aug 18 - 20 | 25.0M BLUE BEETLE | 21.1M BARBIE

15 minutes ago, FunkMiller said:

I don't know. I think we could do with a period where other genres get to have more space. The comic book movie genre is utterly played out at this point. Batman, Spider-man, Superman and the X Men will always likely do good business, but I can't say I'm too unhappy with the idea of the rest of it dying off. Time for something different to dominate.

I do like CBM's. Can't say I am a hardcore fan but I probably watched around 80% of Marvel movies pre End Game. But after that I seem to have lost interest. I think it's just getting too much. Really confusing and too many characters to remember when you are not a dedicated comic fan.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, eeetooki said:

I do like CBM's. Can't say I am a hardcore fan but I probably watched around 80% of Marvel movies pre End Game. But after that I seem to have lost interest. I think it's just getting too much. Really confusing and too many characters to remember when you are not a dedicated comic fan.

Endgame will forever be seen as the nexus point in terms of cbms, it's an off ramp entirely and a point where people became more picky. 

I've felt like this for a while, but I think 2021 will be viewed as the true 'finale' for CBMs, with No Way Home in particular being the one looked at as it. While yeah Endgame was an off-ramp, Far From Home, No Way Home, Black Widow (considering the circumstances), and Shang-Chi all did really well with Eternals being the outlier and DC-wise, ZS JL and TSS both got a lot of talk and kind of felt like finales in their own way. I think you start to see the decline in 2022 and then this year is well...yeah.

• Like 4

Guys, WB has a long term plan. Let me share it with you. It's brilliant.

Burn DC to the ground. Make it so toxic that the very name makes people vomit. Stay in the wilderness till 2035. Make peace with Nolan. Have him bring Bale back as Bruce Wayne and do a Batman Beyond movie. Have that be the basis for the new DCU. Profit!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Astonished 1

36 minutes ago, CJohn said:

What the hell are you talking about the Bay movie did nearly 500M globally because of the live action novelty and the Bay connection.

That's just it though. Without that novelty factor its gross would be cut down by half, as evidenced by the sequel doing just that. It also came out during a far different and far more forgiving climate for dumb fun.

Also, I should probably further clarify that I blame said Bay movies for the brand having the stigma is currently has. Had those not been made and Mutant Mayhem been the first movie out under Nickelodeon it sure as hell would be a doing a lot better than it is right now.

17 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

Endgame will forever be seen as the nexus point in terms of cbms, it's an off ramp entirely and a point where people became more picky. 

COVID happening the next year did not help. Momentum was halted. And when they did come back to cinemas, their big return was Black Widow.

In a perfect world post-Endgame, they could've went full steam with the X-Men and the Mutant Saga while slowly building up the new Avengers team for the eventual Multiverse saga.  

But there's too many hypotheticals in that situation. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Human said:

The same thing I wanted to see since this craze started, the supervillain brawl.  Something like The Justice League vs The Legion of Doom or Justice Society vs The Injustice Society.  Not the team of superheroes fights one guy powerful enough to beat them, certainly not they fight a disposable army.  If you have 7ish superheroes on the team then they fight 7ish supervillains on the team.

Tbh the biggest mistake for Phase 4 was not doing an Avengers vs Masters of Evil or Thunderbolts film to end on, especially with the themes of that saga. It would’ve worked with the angle of public distrust over heroes and the power vacuum without the Avengers. They could even give it a pyrrhic victory with the Avengers winning but a group still doesn’t form for whatever BS they want to do with Kang.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Mulder said:

I've felt like this for a while, but I think 2021 will be viewed as the true 'finale' for CBMs, with No Way Home in particular being the one looked at as it. While yeah Endgame was an off-ramp, Far From Home, No Way Home, Black Widow (considering the circumstances), and Shang-Chi all did really well with Eternals being the outlier and DC-wise, ZS JL and TSS both got a lot of talk and kind of felt like finales in their own way. I think you start to see the decline in 2022 and then this year is well...yeah.

NWH (and to a lesser extent BW) was the dessert to the Endgame 25-course meal.

Everything else has been the start of something new, with MoM, Thor, BPWF and GOTG3 carrying over a larger audience from before, but many people having had their fill 

45 minutes ago, GambitPool said:

COVID happening the next year did not help. Momentum was halted. And when they did come back to cinemas, their big return was Black Widow.

In a perfect world post-Endgame, they could've went full steam with the X-Men and the Mutant Saga while slowly building up the new Avengers team for the eventual Multiverse saga.  

But there's too many hypotheticals in that situation. 

I would argue COVID was a good opportunity for a breather but instead we got a ton of shit thrown at us for the last 2 years, especially on D+. This has been discussed and argued and infinitum. But I remain convinced that they completely diluted the brand. Endgame was, as others said, a natural off ramp. Instead of slowing down, consolidating and building back up with a solid group of characters and few movies, to allow people to follow the rebuild, they basically went with all kinds of niche shows (coupled with less than stellar movies) and here we are. Wandavision, a better MoM to pair up with NWH, none of the Shang Chi, Eternals, Thor 4 and countless TV show bullshit, and build back up with your newly acquired heavy hitters. But...a lot of hypotheticals, as you said. It is what it is...but if it means we get more variety in our blockbusters, I won't complain.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, M37 said:

NWH (and to a lesser extent BW) was the dessert to the Endgame 25-course meal.

Everything else has been the start of something new, with MoM, Thor, BPWF and GOTG3 carrying over a larger audience from before, but many people having had their fill 

I agree that's why, but Shang-Chi also did pretty good and that was a new hero. I do think if MoM was better and the quality (And quantity) was toned down the MCU could've kept going but well...it is what it is.

Aquaman 2 does feel like the safest bet for DC outside Joker and Batman in recent years, even if it loses half of its audience in all markets sans China it's still gonna make more than Black Adam.

But damn, there's really gonna be 10 DCEU films post Justice League bombing in 2017... First Aquaman was already filming so yea. Wonder Woman 2 and Aquaman 2 make sense, but the rest? Like?

Well I can chime in a little bit on this representation thing. It's not quite the same as ethnicity but I'm definitely pretty patriotic not just when it comes to movies but sports and music and so on.  I love seeing Canadians do well. Before I knew how much I adored Ryan Reynolds I wanted to see his movies because he was Canadian same as Jim Carrey or Mike Myers, Keanu Reeves, Michael j fox, Rachel Mcadams and so on. So like I said it's not an ethnic or race thing but everybody in one way or another I think enjoy seeing someone of your own kind doing well.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, reddevil19 said:

Guys, WB has a long term plan. Let me share it with you. It's brilliant.

Burn DC to the ground. Make it so toxic that the very name makes people vomit. Stay in the wilderness till 2035. Make peace with Nolan. Have him bring Bale back as Bruce Wayne and do a Batman Beyond movie. Have that be the basis for the new DCU. Profit!

To be honest they really should do this. We have time to convince Nolan. Bale is still relatively young. 

7 minutes ago, toutvabien said:

Aquaman 2 does feel like the safest bet for DC outside Joker and Batman in recent years, even if it loses half of its audience in all markets sans China it's still gonna make more than Black Adam.

But damn, there's really gonna be 10 DCEU films post Justice League bombing in 2017... First Aquaman was already filming so yea. Wonder Woman 2 and Aquaman 2 make sense, but the rest? Like?

Basically the entire DCEU slate from Walter Hamada flopped at the box office.

• Haha 1