Bob Train

FNAF Weekend Thread (10/27-10/29) | $80m Opening Weekend | Blumhouse's Biggest Opener Ever | $14.7m The Eras Tour | $9.3m KOTFM

Just now, MysteryMovieMogul said:

I'm gonna laugh when this movie doesn't suffer with day & date. 

That's because no one has Peacock. It is irrelevant, less than 1/3 subs as MAX in the USA. And fans want to see it in theaters because of the communal experience of seeing it with a crowd.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ngl.  Gonna laugh if this still hits 80m+ after "only" 10.3m in previews.

(it'll mostly be directed at Deadline and their silly "50m+" lowball of a couple of days ago, but that STILL COUNTS AS A LAUGH)

• Heart 1

27 minutes ago, DisposedData said:

FNAF is just of these things you either saw coming or didn't. If you know a lot of gamers and gen zers then you knew it would be a hit. Otherwise this probably blindsided you.

I've been a gamer for about 35 years and specifically I'm a huge fan of horror games thanks to the Resident Evil and Silent Hill franchises and I didn't see this coming because point and click games aren't my thing. I knew it was popular but I just thought about it so little that I couldn't predict it. I only recently hopped onto the bandwagon because early pre-sales don't lie. 

As I've said before, Freddy is a property cherished by the main moviegoers of today: ethnically diverse teens and young adults. And it has a novelty factor that'll help soften the blow of the poor reviews. So it makes sense that it'd be a big event. And even if the actors' strike ends next week it'll still be the last truly big and appealing movie of the year, so exhibitors will be sending Mr. Blum plenty of gifts for saving them in these trying times.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Johnny Tran said:

As someone who hasn't really played the games much and doesn't know a lot about the lore,  would I enjoy FNAF?  I'm going to watch it eventually anyway. I am a big fan of horror. 

Play the first FNAF game before seeing the movie for the experience. It's a horror game where you don't have weapons and is all about survival.

It's really cheap right now like $4 for your phone or for a game console.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Giorno said:

I'm surprised someone hasn't tried a Halo movie

Ironically, that may have been the problem! It's such an obvious move that it became a flagship project for "microsoft" first party output leading to multiple bouts of development hell including that XBONE attempt to be a quasi-streamer. 

3 hours ago, HummingLemon496 said:

This is giving me Mario vibes. I remember when people acted like Mario was gonna be some front-loaded event just because it started with a 46% RT. Did they except "Sorry Jimmy, we can't go watch Mario because this 50-year-old man on RT says it sucks"?

Nah, it was "do kids genuinely like this" based on reviews. Totally off base but it's also just an inherent problem with using reviews as a proxy.

Also remember that while FNAF has a great cinemascore, its posttrak is a step or two down and there's no conceptual reason I've seen to prefer the former to the later. Let's see the film's IM for some word of mouth before making a final decision. 

6 hours ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Comparing the critically acclaimed Barbie movie, which has a great chance at a best picture nomination at the Oscars, to Fast and Furious is insane. 

To be fair, most best picture nominated movies aren't big box office juggernauts. So, that doesn't mean a lot about popularity between general audience.

Barbie is a box office juggernaut because it really could attract its audience. Fast and Furious did the same in the past (not so much anymore). So the comparison has some validity.

4 hours ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

As I've said before, Freddy is a property cherished by the main moviegoers of today: ethnically diverse teens and young adults. And it has a novelty factor that'll help soften the blow of the poor reviews. So it makes sense that it'd be a big event. And even if the actors' strike ends next week it'll still be the last truly big and appealing movie of the year, so exhibitors will be sending Mr. Blum plenty of gifts for saving them in these trying times.

It's interesting. This movie apparently attracts ethnically diverse teens and young adults, but the only non-white character seems to be a ghost kid.

Edited by Kon

30 minutes ago, Kon said:

It's interesting. This movie apparently attracts ethnically diverse teens and young adults, but the only non-white character seems to be a ghost kid.

It's a 9-year-old IP with loads of spin-offs and books, and the main characters of the games are mostly sexless animatronics while as far as I know the player plays as a faceless someone.

And even though I know the books have some black characters and so on, I honestly don't think any fan gives much of a crap about most of the human characters, as far as I understand it (from watching a couple of YouTube let's play videos over the years with my kid, but someone can correct me) they are there just to enable the animatronics.

So I don't think that matters much for fans of this.

Edited by Arlborn
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

88% verified audience. Both are pretty bad for a faith-based movie.

I have low interest over Freddy but the A- cinemascore certainly stir my interest a bit. 

Freddy probably was helped a bit by being PG-13 

It joined a selected list of super well received horror movies, but most of them did with adult audience only. Freddy does have teenagers in the count, which probably is what push it higher. It would likely be a B+ or something if the rating was higher.

But despite the technicalities, great reception, should ensure a good multiplier.

FNAF is arguably the surprise of the year since it's mostly had to build hype on its own (the studio clearly didn't believe they had a winner on their hands given the day-and-date move). A big contrast to movies like Barbie and Super Mario Bros which came with obviously high expectations attached to them given the big name talent involved in those flicks.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, filmlover said:

FNAF is arguably the surprise of the year since it's mostly had to build hype on its own (the studio clearly didn't believe they had a winner on their hands given the day-and-date move). A big contrast to movies like Barbie and Super Mario Bros which came with obviously high expectations attached to them given the big name talent involved in those flicks.

Different circumstances, but Sound of Freedom would still be way ahead IMO, given the even more niche nature of the audience and lack of traditional marketing 

• Like 2