Bob Train

FNAF Weekend Thread (10/27-10/29) | $80m Opening Weekend | Blumhouse's Biggest Opener Ever | $14.7m The Eras Tour | $9.3m KOTFM

Oppenheimer just has a much easier premise to market (the 30 second TV ads for Flower Moon made it difficult to tell what the movie was about, and not having its star to try and elevator pitch to it in the press probably didn't help either). Sometimes it really doesn't take much to figure out why one resonated with the public while the other did not.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

Which is why it's my pick for best picture easily over Killers. Killers really is kind of a slog to sit through. As more than a few people of said about Killers I admire it more than like it. Kind of the same way I felt about the Irishman. 

That’s a good way to phrase it.

I liked it, not particularly passionately though.

Like if this gets 10 Oscar nominations and loses all of them like Irishman did I wouldn’t be upset about it. 

Like outside of Lily, Leo, and De Niro performances I can’t really think of anything it particularly excelled in to me.

Edited by Valencia

Scorsese has never been huge at the box office. Some good results in the 2000’s and 2010’s with DiCaprio. But arguably his most popular movie, Goodfellas, was 26th at the worldwide box office in 1990. Kind of says it all right there. He made a lot of great movies, but no crazy box office performances. 

4 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Scorsese has never been huge at the box office. Some good results in the 2000’s and 2010’s with DiCaprio. But arguably his most popular movie, Goodfellas, was 26th at the worldwide box office in 1990. Kind of says it all right there. He made a lot of great movies, but no crazy box office performances. 

Avengers:Secret Wars is still a open assignment.  Just saying 😃 

• Haha 3

30 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

But so many online talk like he was Spielberg level in his prime yet he never ever was. He says that Marvel sucks and then people who agree with him make believe that he's a draw as a director. He isn't. If Andrew Garfield was the lead the film would have made $25 at the box office.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, VanillaSkies said:

RT audience score for FNAF just increased to 90%.
Could this possibly hold decently next weekend? Obviously still a large drop, but maybe more like 60-65% instead of 70-75%?

Well everyone thought Exorcist was going to drop 70% and it didn't. And nobody is signed up for Peacock so yes I could see a 60% drop. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, eeetooki said:

Universal is doing pretty well this year with Mario, Oppenheimer and now FNAF...though they did have some loses too - that Dracula movie (don't even remember the title).

Last Voyage of The Demeter. I saw that one in a theater. Not a bad flick. Pretty gruesome version of Dracula. Apparently they only spent $45 million on the production budget, which ain't bad. It had pretty strong production values. Meanwhile we have Killers of The Flower Moon at $200 million and I'm sitting there wondering where the money went, lol

8 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Last Voyage of The Demeter. I saw that one in a theater. Not a bad flick. Pretty gruesome version of Dracula. Apparently they only spent $45 million on the production budget, which ain't bad. It had pretty strong production values. Meanwhile we have Killers of The Flower Moon at $200 million and I'm sitting there wondering where the money went, lol

There were 2 Dracula movies and both were major bombs. Renfield is even worse since they had the WW rights and that cost 65M. At least Demeter they only had the DOM rights. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CJohn said:

There were 2 Dracula movies and both were major bombs. Renfield is even worse since they had the WW rights and that cost 65M. At least Demeter they only had the DOM rights. 

I dug Renfield, it's schlocky fun and Cage is a blast (I know, what a shock) 

KOTFM coming in so much lower than other Marty-Leo works is an evidence that the industry needs Star power. The SAG strike is unfortunately working. Yes, a star won't save a terrible project but when a movie is great, the star has to be there to spread the gospel. 

On 10/27/2023 at 12:40 PM, Shawn said:

Universal with a super early estimate of $34m Fri for FNAF, including previews.

19 hours ago, el sid said:

If that's true, I quit counting. 

5 hours ago, Shawn said:

$39.46m official FNAF FRIDAY ESTIMATE

($29.16m true Friday + $10.3m Thu previews)

Incredible.

On 10/26/2023 at 11:39 AM, el sid said:

FNAF, counted today for Friday:

****TRACKING INFO SNIPPED****
So yes, 30M true Friday could happen.

Got bad news for you, @el sid :sadno:

mr-burns-dont-forget.gif

Spoiler

Congrats, in other words, on seeing the fantastic True Fri during Thursday tracking. 👍

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 2
  • Heart 1
  • Haha 2

23 minutes ago, CJohn said:

And with Demeter I think they were merely the domestic distributor, as these Amblin Partners pictures are usually sold to local distributors internationally, including my own, Turkey.

• Like 1

I thunk low ATP impacted the number. It did sell tickets in boatloads and MTC1 actually under indexed for Friday as well. 

I just ran it late in the evening for records and Freddys friday finished at 395666/827417 5493185.68. Definitely did not look like almost 30m based on ATP I saw at the biggest TC. But it played well everywhere and sold boatload of tickets. To me that is more important than missing an inconsequential benchmark. 

• Like 2