XXR & Friends

The Marvel / MCU Thread || From Blade to Secret Wars, All Things Marvel!

24 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Hollywood is never moving past the nostalgia pandering phase, is it? 

People get annoyed when I bring up NTCs, but nobody's proven to me otherwise that people want more than just the same shit they saw 10 years ago. Sad!

Beau DeMayo just reactivated his Twitter and posted  about the show. Doesn´t take about the firing but reading what he posted I easily see why the show is so good with the perspective he has to the characters but also the journey the go on. Won´t post it here as it contains some major spoilers for the show but interesting that he reactivated his twitter to post what he did.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, thajdikt said:

Beau DeMayo just reactivated his Twitter and posted  about the show. Doesn´t take about the firing but reading what he posted I easily see why the show is so good with the perspective he has to the characters but also the journey the go on. Won´t post it here as it contains some major spoilers for the show but interesting that he reactivated his twitter to post what he did.

DeMayo will apologize and Disney will rehire him again as showrunner for season 3+4.  We already seen this game being played with James Gunn and Disney, unless what was done was actually serious.

Too risky to dump a showrunner right after a show becomes a huge hit, unless Disney actually wants to risk tanking it. We have seen it before, new guy comes in and ruins a show.

I'm not saying this is the case, but this would not be the first time of: Person helps create an awesome show but is ABSOLUTE HELL to work with.

Remember the fallout from Mo Ryan's Burn it Down expose?  Only some of it was the salacious bits of unrestrained racism and sexism.  A decent chunk of it was about the absolute hellish conditions of some of these productions.

Now I personally doubt that Disney is enlightened enough to throw someone overboard if it was (and there's nothing 'just' about it, but I'll throw in scare quotes as a compromise) "just" a toxic work environment.  On the other hand, could be some ticking time bomb that none of us know about.

Or maybe whoever his boss is woke up on the wrong side of the bed one day and he's totes innocent in all of this.  Could be that as well.

===

All of the above being said, massive praise has a way of covering up the sins of even the most... vexing of workspaces.  So, yeah, he might be back even if something was medium or even serious level bad as long as it wasn't "lawsuit impending/make Twitter turn on him" level bad.

Mind, Twitter turning on someone isn't exactly hard, but I think the gist of what I'm getting at here is clear.

• Like 4

When he was first fired I figured there was probably some story about DeMayo coming out soon (related to allegations from his Witcher co-workers) and Marvel/Disney just wanted to get  ahead of it. But obviously not much has happened, so now I think he just pissed off the wrong person at Marvel. I don’t expect Marvel to have him back, he’s probably just back because the talk has died down and he wants to strike while the iron is hot with the praise the series has gotten.

Edited by AMC Theaters Enjoyer
  • Like 3

21 hours ago, Porthos said:

I'm not saying this is the case, but this would not be the first time of: Person helps create an awesome show but is ABSOLUTE HELL to work with.

Remember the fallout from Mo Ryan's Burn it Down expose?  Only some of it was the salacious bits of unrestrained racism and sexism.  A decent chunk of it was about the absolute hellish conditions of some of these productions.

Now I personally doubt that Disney is enlightened enough to throw someone overboard if it was (and there's nothing 'just' about it, but I'll throw in scare quotes as a compromise) "just" a toxic work environment.  On the other hand, could be some ticking time bomb that none of us know about.

Or maybe whoever his boss is woke up on the wrong side of the bed one day and he's totes innocent in all of this.  Could be that as well.

===

All of the above being said, massive praise has a way of covering up the sins of even the most... vexing of workspaces.  So, yeah, he might be back even if something was medium or even serious level bad as long as it wasn't "lawsuit impending/make Twitter turn on him" level bad.

Mind, Twitter turning on someone isn't exactly hard, but I think the gist of what I'm getting at here is clear.

Once agian, peo-le don't get that someone can be a incredibly gifted artist, but also be a SOB in real life.

I give you Richard Wagner....one of the greatest composers who ever lived, but a total disgrace  as a human being.

9 hours ago, HummingLemon496 said:

Season 9 Nbc GIF by The Office

I think it would be been impossible to make Endgame as some art film or not beholden to fan service.

We seen when franchises try something new during the height of their popularity like the TLJ and it backfired hard.

I do think the issue is Endgame had such high stakes and emotional investment it made everything seem post endgame seem pointless. 

• Like 1

On 4/12/2024 at 7:18 AM, HummingLemon496 said:

Season 9 Nbc GIF by The Office

Endgame has some great performances and moments.

IW + half of EG is great top tier stuff. Second half still has its good moments it falls into " MCU greatest hits" ,quips and time travel shenanigans.

Love IW but EG which is not a fault of it's making but it  kind of undermines it in  a way. Most of the characters had to come since they were the future of the franchise and it's family friendly story.

It's not order 66 or red wedding in terms of effectiveness.

Production Weekly has some updates on filming;

Avengers 5 Q1 2025 in UK, Code Name Apple Pie 1

Armor Wars 2025

Shang-Chi 2 March 2025 in the UK

X-Men Q4 2025 in UK (there's also a "synopsis" but it's the most boilerplate X-Men description you can imagine)

Spider-Man 4 filming September in the UK, with a release date reported as July 10th 2026, so maybe Blade is spared yet another delay

On the show side, Vision Quest October 2024 in the UK, (with Olsen being listed as a cast member apparently?)

It sounds like these are all bookings for specifically the UK which is why Daredevil filming in November isn't on here. Though it does sound like Wonder Man has indeed wrapped.

Edited by SpiderByte

36 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

Production Weekly has some updates on filming;

Avengers 5 Q1 2025 in UK, Code Name Apple Pie 1

Armor Wars 2025

Shang-Chi 2 March 2025 in the UK

X-Men Q4 2025 in UK (there's also a "synopsis" but it's the most boilerplate X-Men description you can imagine)

Spider-Man 4 filming September in the UK, with a release date reported as July 10th 2026, so maybe Blade is spared yet another delay

On the show side, Vision Quest October 2024 in the UK, (with Olsen being listed as a cast member apparently?)

It sounds like these are all bookings for specifically the UK which is why Daredevil filming in November isn't on here. Though it does sound like Wonder Man has indeed wrapped.

The SM4 date feels like a mistake, since Disney just set Moana for that same weekend. Plus that’d be a long post-production period, longer than most MCU movies (not saying that’s a bad thing, just be surprising).

X-Men I still don’t buy happening unless we get news of a creative team soon. Even then, I get the sense marvel wants to wait until after Secret Wars to introduce their new mutants.