Cap

THE UNMARVELOUS WEEKEND THREAD | FEATURING MELTDOWNS, ARMCHAIR ANALYSIS, AND SEXISM

15 minutes ago, Eric Danvers said:

I think sometimes about how much better Marvel's standing, and the whole genre for that matter, would be if they just ended things with Endgame. Like that movie isn't a perfect finale, but it ends everything on a high note, all the character arcs are wrapped up. Everybody's in a happy mood, people feel content and happy, and the toys will keep on selling.

These past few years really show that sometimes it's okay for franchises to just end. And this isn't a Marvel thing, it's an every franchise thing.

That's never going to happen.

Look at the Toy Story 3.

And Logan. 

No matter how good the ending Hollywood will unbury a franchise and Weekend At Bernie's the corpse.

• Like 3

Deadpool and Wolverine together is an easy sell that most audiences will eat up.  I'm buying Deadpool as a big hit comedy. Unfortunately, that is not what most audiences consider by any real definition to be "the MCU." Cap 4, Fantastic Four, Thunderbolts....those are the movies people will next associate with the MCU. Is anyone seriously buying them as good movies or big hits at this point? Maybe Fantastic Four I guess. Cap and Thunderbolts seem like such obvious duds critically and commercially already.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Not an expensive bomb but a big flop none the less. A $34m film opening under $5m.  2k cinemas ain’t cheap either. Think those multiplier ranges are too generous as well. 

It's a Christmas movie - it will be kept for senior citizen matinees for awhile, especially with Marvels going from 4-5 screens to 1 next weekend - there will now be room.

If there was another Christmas movie this month, I'd see it your way, but these tend to leg more and more as the holiday comes - see The Star... it opened to $9.8M - ended over $40M DOM (with almost all its money in by Dec 25), never making that much,..and it opened a week later, losing a week of "pre-holiday" time...

Edited by TwoMisfits

Just now, Cmasterclay said:

Deadpool and Wolverine together is an easy sell that most audiences will eat up.  I'm buying Deadpool as a big hit comedy. Unfortunately, that is not what most audiences consider by any real definition to be "the MCU." Cap 4, Fantastic Four, Thunderbolts....those are the movies people will next associate with the MCU. Is anyone seriously buying them as good movies or big hits at this point? Maybe Fantastic Four I guess. Cap and Thunderbolts seem like such obvious duds critically and commercially already.

We already seen that team up in Wolverine 2009. its not even novel :-)

17 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

So Guardians didn't deserve a 3rd movie to end out the trilogy? Why not?

I mean I guess they deserved it. But it's not like our lives depended on a third movie. And Endgame still ended things good and story arcs wrapped for Quill and the gang. Just get rid of that stupid-ass "Gamora from another dimension is back" schtick (hate that!), and things would still be satisfying.

And if finishing things on a good note with Endgame means we don't get a random movie...so be it.

1 minute ago, reddevil19 said:

It's funny because I have the opposite mindset - the Russos were great from a logistic standpoint. IW and EG were feats of logistics more than any moviemaking. And great on them for that. But what Marvel needs is specifically what you said is lacking - movies that stand on their own. That's how you improve on what came before. For that you need proper filmmakers. I agree that indie directors that then are nothing more than marionettes for the studio is not the way to go, but neither are TV producers. Make good movies that stand on their own as just that, with the brain trust worrying about collecting the small seeds that have been planted in those movies and growing them into something bigger. That's why for me the best of the MCU remains Winter Soldier.

Buffy the Vampire, Firefly, Arrested Development, Community. All great shows created by great showrunners with many transferable skills to develop great studio blockbusters.

8 minutes ago, ViewerAnon said:

I think Fantastic 4 is a disappointment waiting to happen. It's an old book and there aren't a lot of current fans. The 2005 movie did OK but wasn't well-liked as evidenced by how the sequel did, and of course we don't need to talk about the Trank reboot.

It's just not a title like X-Men that has shown its popular in multiple mediums for multiple generations.

I’ve been feeling this too. Fantastic Four has burned general audiences too many times and that’s gonna cause some hesitation. I think it actually might turn out well quality wise given the creative team involved (Josh Friedman is a huge get for them) and maybe that’ll be more important for Marvel when it comes out. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cmasterclay said:

I haven't seen the Marvels, but the same exact things are true of Thor and Ant-Man. That speaks to a larger systemic issue beyond one director or one movie. Frankly, the scripts for Strange and Eternals were even worse and only saved from total disaster territory by skilled directors. This is a clear systemic issue now at MCU.

That's what happens when you hire Rick and Morty writers who have never written a movie before to write $200m Marvel blockbusters. The sooner they ditch those writers, the better.

2 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

That's never going to happen.

Look at the Toy Story 3.

And Logan. 

No matter how good the ending Hollywood will unbury a franchise and Weekend At Bernie's the corpse.

Yeah? And that's a bad thing? Maybe franchises should just end? Our lives do not depend on these silly movies?

2 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

That's what happens when you hire Rick and Morty writers who have never written a movie before to write $200m Marvel blockbusters. The sooner they ditch those writers, the better.

The Marvels writers, besides Nia Dacosta, have at most 3 writing credits to their name and it's noticeable. 

I'll be honest, as somebody who loves Hugh Jackman and his interpretation of Wolverine especially, having him back in Deadpool 3 just ringed like cheap fanservice to me. Logan was about as perfect an ending as you can get, and its themes of dealing with old age and protecting the new generation and also letting them go resonated with me big time. Having him back for a stupid Ryan Reynolds comedy so nerds can go "OMG my childhood" is a slap to the face. And I don't think I'm alone on this.

Should still be one of the better-performing superhero movies over the next few years (Joker 2 might be the only one that beats it), but I have doubts on it doing insanely well like others are predicting.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, The GOAT said:

Buffy the Vampire, Firefly, Arrested Development, Community. All great shows created by great showrunners with many transferable skills to develop great studio blockbusters.

See, I think the examples you're giving are just strengthening my point. They were good logistics managers. You can't do that with every MCU movie because not every MCU movie is or SHOULD be a crossover. The Russos didn't write their Avengers movies, and the dialogue was a fairly weak part for Whedon's 2 Avengers flicks, as well as the very flat, uninspired visual style (he has never been able to grow past 90's-00's TV from that respect).

To get people excited about crossovers, you need strong individual films, and for that you need good screenwriters and directors with a vision and style, working in harmony.

What a marvelous weekend. 

Mogambo khush hua.

If I was marvel, I would push fake cap movie to July 2025 and scrap  thunderbolts altogether.  Fan4 should be the one releasing after Deadpool 3 to get some positivity surrounding it. At the moment, fake cap sounds like another disaster, which will hurt fan4 due to bad taste left by another MCU movie before it. It being the umpteenth attempt at reboot doesn't help. Can't believe the idiots in charge of these films, don't think when scheduling these things. 

IF any one at Marvel is reading the threads, do yourself a favour by letting Fan4 be the next MCU film after Deadpool 3. If DP3 turns out to be a hit both commercially and critically, and f4 is also a solid film then the good will you generated from DP3 will help F4 a lot. It needs it. Thank me later.

• Knock It Off 1

Just now, CoolioD1 said:

Loved The Killer. Gonna see if I can catch Dream Scenario sometime in the next couple days which I'm surprised is playing at my local. that looks like a lot of fun. great weekend for the movies!

I caught that in a theater last weekend and am rewatching it on Netflix right now. It’s pretty great, might be higher up on my ranking of Fincher. Dream Scenario isn’t playing near me unfortunately, might have to wait until I get back to the US to catch that.

• Like 1