Cap

THE UNMARVELOUS WEEKEND THREAD | FEATURING MELTDOWNS, ARMCHAIR ANALYSIS, AND SEXISM

‘The Marvels’ Meltdown: Disney MCU Seeing Lowest B.O. Opening Ever At $47M+ — What Went Wrong

UPDATED SATURDAY, refresh for more…: The last-minute push for The Marvels with an appearance by star Brie Larson on The Tonight Show and at a theater in NYC post-actors strike have not weekend moved grosses any higher for what is Marvel Studios The Marvels which is seeing a Friday in the vicinity of where we expected it at $21.3M and a weekend opening between $47M-$52M, the lowest ever for Disney‘s Marvel Cinematic Universe. Oh, also, The Marvels gets one of several post-pandemic B CinemaScores from audiences after Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness (B+), Thor Love & Thunder (B+), Eternals (B), and Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania (B). Disney’s official numbers are coming soon.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Astonished 1

I see Deadline's paid shill Anthony is ready with his damage control again. He mentions Wakanda Forever as an example of "there's no superhero fatigue", but conveniently forgot to mention it had a massive drop from the first one.

Edited by Firepower
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

They aren't going to kill her off and I would never advocate for such a lazy Disney Star Wars style solution but anyone who thinks that Carol Danvers is leading the next Avengers movie is in for a rude awakening. 

Nah, she’ll be in the team and be prominent, but I bet either Star-Lord or Doctor Strange will lead it, they need their most well received characters to be leading an Avengers movie now more than ever. 

10 minutes ago, The GOAT said:

better economic environment + summer legs to juice

Barbieheimer would have destroyed the little interest that existed in The Marvels at that time.

We've already seen other movies to be terrible affected.

2 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Is 50m actually feasible or highballing?

It’s possible if we see a decent increase on Sat from TFri, but with the observed holiday boost, I wouldn’t count on it, more likely closer to flat (+/-5%)

46 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

I had been comparing this film's run with Banshees of Inisherin from last fall since they opened similarly and have been expanding at similar rates, but wow Holdovers just really blew past Banshees's first Friday in wide release ($735,883) despite being in less theaters (895). Veteran's Day probably helped, but that's still a promising sign, and the film seems like a big-time crowd-pleaser. If Focus continues to expand it over the coming weeks, should become one of the few platform releases to make over $15M post-COVID - maybe even over $20M if they can keep it in theaters through awards season?

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, JonathanMB said:

I had been comparing this film's run with Banshees of Inisherin from last fall since they opened similarly and have been expanding at similar rates, but wow Holdovers just really blew past Banshees's first Friday in wide release ($735,883) despite being in less theaters (895). Veteran's Day probably helped, but that's still a promising sign, and the film seems like a big-time crowd-pleaser. If Focus continues to expand it over the coming weeks, should become one of the few platform releases to make over $15M post-COVID - maybe even over $20M if they can keep it in theaters through awards season?

It speaks to the recovery of this market

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, The GOAT said:

better economic environment + summer legs to juice

Yes, cause that worked out well for MI7...or pretty much every other summer release. This is a disaster now and if it had stayed in July it would have been apocalyptically bad.

2 minutes ago, grim22 said:

With the way the box office results are coming in for The Marvels from around the world, maybe it should have been Zaslav'd.

The difference between Bob Iger and David Zaslav is that Iger is less of an asshole but also Disney has a lot more money than WBD. 

32 minutes ago, TMP said:

I think that movie was the clearest distillation of how Fincher’s mind operates, almost felt like a confession in that sense

Oh ya, 100%. His perfectionism, attention to detail, desire for control through planning - it's very much an autobiographical feature, the way I see it.

I'll go one step further and imagine this is how he felt with Alien 3. Everything that could go wrong went wrong. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

The difference between Bob Iger and David Zaslav is that Iger is less of an asshole but also Disney has a lot more money than WBD. 

Disney has theme parks which float all their entertainment divisions.  If THOSE ever soften, then Disney would be in trouble.

But there's no sign that they are - instead, they are mostly full steam ahead...

It's why they can release so few movies in 2024 and still be fine...movies are not their cash cow - rather, in 2023, they were the slumping unit...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

Nah, she’ll be in the team and be prominent, but I bet either Star-Lord or Doctor Strange will lead it, they need their most well received characters to be leading an Avengers movie now more than ever. 

I see star lord doctor strange and spiderman leading next avengers movie.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Iger is too big of a PR pussy to actually make a tough, knowingly unpopular decision like that. He'd be too scared of "the optics."

And Disney is in quite a bit of debt themselves.

• Knock It Off 1