Grand Cine

MLK Weekend Thread | 3-Day/4-Day Estimates: Mean Girls 28/32, Beekeeper 16.8/19.2, Wonka 8.4/10.9, Migration 6.2/8.3, Anyone 6.9/8.2

14 minutes ago, Borobudur said:

I don't get how they are still this many theaters dropping the movie.  Should have been in around 800 locations, especially given the hold thus far clearly isn't like a typical anime

Not sure if Heron studio is trying the same tactic but movies that expect Oscar nominations tend to drop theaters for MLK weekend or 2 weeks before noms and then go wide after the noms. Usually not super wide (over 1.5K but under 2K) but wide enough. 

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Borobudur said:

I don't get how they are still this many theaters dropping the movie.  Should have been in around 800 locations, especially given the hold thus far clearly isn't like a typical anime

GKIDS lacks leverage 

19 minutes ago, abracadabra1998 said:

So many movies to watch, so little time :( already behind on Poor Things, Anyone But You, American Fiction, Mean Girls, The Beekeeper… not to mention the ones still expanding, like All of Us Strangers and Origin!

If I had to catch one this week… which one would y’all recommend?

Poor Things and Anyone But You. 

I haven’t seen All of us Strangers yet, it’s out here in two weeks and I’ll be seeing it opening night. 

• Like 1

Mean Girls' opening is definitely a testament to the enduring popularity of the original film two decades after its release. Pretty good opening for The Beekeeper too.

Poor Things holding up well doesn't surprise me since it's demos are likely younger than most prestige titles these days.

1 hour ago, DAJK said:

BOM really needs a content moderator, or at the very least a quality assurance person. So many mistakes these past couple years, honestly ever since they were bought by Amazon.

Their latest? Mean Girls 28k opening and $7 PTA…

Oogieloves found dead in a ditch.

• Haha 4

54 minutes ago, abracadabra1998 said:

So many movies to watch, so little time :( already behind on Poor Things, Anyone But You, American Fiction, Mean Girls, The Beekeeper… not to mention the ones still expanding, like All of Us Strangers and Origin!

If I had to catch one this week… which one would y’all recommend?

ABY

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, HummingLemon496 said:

With the MLK numbers Aquaman 2 has passed Ant-Man 3's three opening weekend domestically. Will finish around ~$120M

You were asking if less than $200m worldwide was possible a few weeks ago, so let’s not bother with this type of bait. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Krissykins said:

You were asking if less than $200m worldwide was possible a few weeks ago, so let’s not bother with this type of bait. 

Yes, I should have never trusted WorkingOnAName

Edited by HummingLemon496

For platform releases, American fiction doing less than what I hoped. 1.9m or 3000 PTA is weaker than holdovers first wide expansion weekend. On the other hand, Poor things PTA is really encouraging. Now we know the movie is special enough to secure an impression among audience. 

7 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

For platform releases, American fiction doing less than what I hoped. 1.9m or 3000 PTA is weaker than holdovers first wide expansion weekend. On the other hand, Poor things PTA is really encouraging. Now we know the movie is special enough to secure an impression among audience. 

$3K PTA from 625 theaters is pretty good considering it's being put in smaller auditoriums at a lot of places and the storms taking some theaters offline this weekend. Should be around for a while IMO, especially if it lands a Best Picture nomination.

5 hours ago, cannastop said:

Soul dropped hard after those six weeks. Not so much TR and Luca.

If we look at Nielsen's EOY charts...

Soul ~ 80M (54 Weeks)

Luca - 164.12M (80 Weeks)

TR - 114M (40 Weeks)

So yes, Soul hasn't been as big as the other two. But it's like comparing a 500M title to a 300M title. Still did very well

• Like 2

1 minute ago, crazymoviekid said:

If we look at Nielsen's EOY charts...

Soul ~ 80M (54 Weeks)

Luca - 164.12M (80 Weeks)

TR - 114M (40 Weeks)

So yes, Soul hasn't been as big as the other two. But it's like comparing a 500M title to a 300M title. Still did very well

wait where did you get the expanded data for Soul though... how do you know how it did in the week of December 25.

but thanks for the perspective.

Were people really expecting Soul to perform well? It's a Disney Pixar film about an older man unlike Turning Red and Luca, both of which are about kids. It's not Up where a kid and dog also were prominent characters. I don't think Turning Red and Luca are going to set the  box office on fire; but the appeal for Soul is just not there after being on Disney+ for a couple of years.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, cannastop said:

wait where did you get the expanded data for Soul though... how do you know how it did in the week of December 25.

but thanks for the perspective.

Ryan's Ratings has the archive to every week. 

Dec. 25-27: 1,669Mins = 16.69M viewers

Dec. 28-Jan 3: 1,343Mins = 13.43M viewers

Plus...WW84's only Nielsen

Dec 25-27: 2,252 Mins = 14.91M viewers

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LonePirate said:

Were people really expecting Soul to perform well? It's a Disney Pixar film about an older man unlike Turning Red and Luca, both of which are about kids. It's not Up where a kid and dog also were prominent characters. I don't think Turning Red and Luca are going to set the  box office on fire; but the appeal for Soul is just not there after being on Disney+ for a couple of years.

Back in the ancient year of 2020, prime thought Soul would be huge. Inside Out level of quality and possibly more for B.O. since Disney just had an insane 2019. 

3 hours ago, Valonqar said:

are adult movies daresay the new SH? :ph34r:

Oppenheimer making SH money, Saltburn going viral like the biggest movies also wrecking the streaming together with Society of the Snow, Poor Things and All of Us Strangers holding well, ABY breaking out, etc.

I don´t think we´re that lucky but we can hope.

But they really need to make mid budget movies succesful and relevant again to theatrical market, 2023 is the year that showed these dozens of 300M bad looking productions must stop

OT:  A lot of America might be tuning out of this afternoon NFL game due to it getting a little lopsided (like the other two NFL games on Sat), but I'm loving every single moment of it! 👍 

EDITED:

EVERY.

LAST.

SECOND

OF THIS GAME!!!!  👍 👍 👍

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 4