LegendaryBen

Weekend Thread - (January 26-28)

Also on hypotheticals: I really wonder what a Miyazaki movie equally as acclaimed and in his fantasy wheelhouse, but much more accessible than Heron would be doing? Even though I love the movie, I maintain it is by far his most inaccessible one he’s ever made, and it still became nearly the most successful anime DOM. If this was something a bit more Howl’s esque, Pokemon 1 coulda gone down imo 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Maggie said:

Yes, Dune 2 will be the first event movie of the year, but looking at the calendar (as i said yesterday), there's just too many sequels/remakes for the would be big movies. I'm afraid maybe people will grow tired of so many sequels and the box office will suffer

Yes , clearly it's about the same problem like last year , March , May and June are too crowded . The good thing is the budget will be less high than last year , so they will not have the same failure as last year

You would certainly think the GA would be getting pretty ravenous for a genuine blockbuster since even Wonka gross doesn’t really count as that. I won’t rehash, but I already illustrated how this is the longest drought ever without a true box office blockbuster (you know what doesn’t count). But I remain stubborn on Dune, I just don’t think enough people outside of the sci-fi geek demo liked 1.

Just now, AMC Theaters Enjoyer said:

April should have some low-key hits with Monkey Man, Abigail and Challengers. Next big hit after Dune won’t be until Planet of the Apes though. 

I have no faith in that one. UNDER 100M domestic imo

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, AMC Theaters Enjoyer said:

April should have some low-key hits with Monkey Man, Abigail and Challengers. Next big hit after Dune won’t be until Planet of the Apes though. 

You underestimating the power of Gosling.

8 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I just went to ET on BOM and randomly clicked on a weekend, this really does look like box office from the 80s lmao 

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/weekend/1982W32/?ref_=bo_rl_table_10

ugh the situation is so grim. Hopping something breaks out, but looking at the calendar, i can't see what could break out. Maybe Twisters? Or the Kevin Costner movie.

Edited by Maggie

13 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Much as I love him his recent run has been mixed in terms of box office returns. 

2 minutes ago, Maggie said:

ugh the situation is so grim. Hopping something breaks out, but looking at the calendar, i can't see what could break out. Maybe Twisters?

Twisters feels like one that can go either way. I can see it being one of the biggest movies of the year as much as it one of the biggest bombs.

anecdotally when I told my dad about it he looked so disappointed lmao.

2 minutes ago, AMC Theaters Enjoyer said:

Twisters feels like one that can go either way. I can see it being one of the biggest movies of the year as much as it one of the biggest bombs.

anecdotally when I told my dad about it he looked so disappointed lmao.

I think Twisters has potential, let's see the trailer first, but i don't think it will bomb. I believe it can do 200M atm with nothing to base on, just a hunch

3 hours ago, Valonqar said:

Looks like it. The Favorite topped out at 34M dom and PT is outpacing it already. It seems to be doing better OS too save UK. So 100M is locked (that's 5M over TF).

3 hours ago, JustLurking said:

Seems tough due to UK doing way less than the favourite. Rest of Europe is easily beating it though so not impossible.

Poor Things is rated an 18 here in the UK whereas The Favourite wasn’t, so I think that’s having some impact. It’s still doing very well though. 

The Favourite’s run here was great, I personally didn’t like that film though. Poor Things is excellent. 

1 hour ago, DAJK said:

His movie is coming out in May. It kicks off the summer season. And yes, a combo of star power from Barbenheimer, interest in romcom and action should boost its boxoffice. 

@Krissykins Oh that explains it for sure. Also, the book is a metaphor for Scotland's emancipation/liberation from England so that could be another hinderance. I'm sure the Eeenglish don't like that. :lol:

Edited by Valonqar

39 minutes ago, AMC Theaters Enjoyer said:

After seeing the Kung Fu Panda showtimes (h/t @Porthos) I have to wonder: at what point does Thursday stop being a preview day and becomes a full day if we’re starting this early?

Honestly?  I think the Rubicon is noon.  2pm previews have been semi-standard (or at least 'not infrequent') for kid flavored films for a couple of years now (thanks for nothing, NWH).  1pm is also pushing it (and when I personally hit the eject button), but I tend to think noon is a psychological barrier for most.

Man, reading these forums this month just makes me sad.

Box Office down about $100 million from last year. Granted, Avatar did some heavy lifting, but what's February got? Certainly nothing that'll be as big as Ant-Man, so now Dune 2 is working just to try and get above 2023 levels.

Meanwhile, I haven't seen a movie at my local theater since Barbie because they can't afford the upkeep of giving a good experience. Waiting for digital release gives me a better experience these days. I used to actively go to the theater for 3D movies, even when projection quality wasn't perfect, but studios were bullied out of doing those even though they're an experience that can't really be replicated at home still.

Edited by MysteryMovieMogul
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

I used to actively go to the theater for 3D movies, even when projection quality wasn't perfect, but studios were bullied out of doing those even though they're an experience that can't really be replicated at home still.

Besides Avatar 2, what was the last 3D movie released? I know Spider-verse2 had IMAX but I'm not sure about 3D.

OT = ON

gg @Inceptionzq

I honestly thought this game was dead and buried at halftime.  Would have given Niners about 10 percent chance to win, if that, given the way the defense was playing and the way the Lions were torching the field.

But somehow the Niners gritted this one out.  Somehow.

(gonna get smoked by the Chiefs if they don't tighten things up on both sides of the ball)

The only critical thing I'll say about the Lions is that being a riverboat gambler sometimes backfires.  Even if it is what got them to the championship game in the first place. "Live by the sword, die by the sword."

Still, damn damn scary game.  Should hold your head high for how your team did even though I'm sure you're absolutely sick to your stomach right now after seeing the Lions lose a 17 point lead.  Would have been very worthy winners.

Mad respect for your team from this corner of the net. 🫡

OT = OFF

• Like 1

Actually I will say one other thing:  When I saw that Fox skit before the game that had a Lions fan paraphrasing saying 'even if we lose, we'll be happy' I remember thinking to myself, "Maaaannn, don't tempt fate like that.  I can think of a lot of ways Lions fans would be upset after losing the game."

Losing a 17 point lead at halftime, when they had been absolutely dominating on both sides of the ball?  Yeah, I'd say that might qualify.

So?  Blame Fox for the jinx.  As good an explanation as I have as any as to what I just saw.

(at least it was a very clean game from the refs — one very questionable "no call" on roughing the passer aside)

18 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Crazy how one play could’ve kept us on track… Deebo doesn’t get that wild catch, Reynolds catches that ball on 4th down, Jameson gets that deep TD catch… Not to mention kicking FGs instead of going for it. So close but so far. I’m extremely salty, we should’ve had that. But GG

• Like 2