Porthos

Dune 2 Opening Weekend Thread [3/01/24 -3/03/24] [82.5m DOM OW]

Lord of the Rings would not be as strong in today's environment either IMO - we know the changing demographics of audiences, and something that fundamentally white and older and nerdy would do more like low to mid 200s today. That said it's much more of a traditional rousing action movie than Dune with memeable pop culture stuff.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, WorkingonaName said:

Only 4 more weeks til the true start of blockbuster season.  

We are not ready.

• Astonished 2

PVOD Metadata already uploaded BTW. Dune 2 PVOD - April 15th (might be sooner due to international rollout)

Edited by AJG

Every generation/time has its own blockbuster phenomenons.

In the 2000s, the big three fantasy series were LOTR, Harry Potter and the original POTC trilogy. Harry Potter is probably the best example of how a specific series can only be as succesfull as it was in its own time period; in the 2000s, the popularity of both the book series as well as the fantasy genre as a whole was at its peak. My generation (born in the mid to late 90s) was THE prime Harry Potter generation, because both our parents and we read the books and watched the films.

But todays kids didnt grew up reading those books. Most of them probably didnt watch the movies as they are "old" now and the "thing that our parents watched 10 years ago". It is exceptionally difficult for a book/film series to stay relevant over the span of decades. Just that we now have two proper Dune movies after the book first was published in the 1960s should be seen as an outright miracle honestly. Thats probably why i appreciate both of them beeing so good so much.

• Like 2

Absolutely horrible final day of presales, shockingly horrible. Still 9M previews is decent. 

Now what we can hope is that the final day was so bad because the fans want so see on IMAX and premium screens and will watch though the weekend instead of rush it, and that maybe casuals also partially decided to skip previews due to the very long running time. 

Presales for the weekend still seems very solid, so i’m hoping it can manage 8x IM or slightly more for ~75M OW. 

That would be good.

13 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Every generation/time has its own blockbuster phenomenons.

In the 2000s, the big three fantasy series were LOTR, Harry Potter and the original POTC trilogy. Harry Potter is probably the best example of how a specific series can only be as succesfull as it was in its own time period; in the 2000s, the popularity of both the book series as well as the fantasy genre as a whole was at its peak. My generation (born in the mid to late 90s) was THE prime Harry Potter generation, because both our parents and we read the books and watched the films.

But todays kids didnt grew up reading those books. Most of them probably didnt watch the movies as they are "old" now and the "thing that our parents watched 10 years ago". It is exceptionally difficult for a book/film series to stay relevant over the span of decades. Just that we now have two proper Dune movies after the book first was published in the 1960s should be seen as an outright miracle honestly. Thats probably why i appreciate both of them beeing so good so much.

"Today's kids don't read Harry Potter" do people on here realize how stupid they sound? This is "kids don't like Mario" all over again.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, MightyDargon said:

"Today's kids don't read Harry Potter" do people on here realize how stupid they sound? This is "kids don't like Mario" all over again.

Purely anectodal, I have lessons with quite a bit of kids aged 13-17 and I often talk about movies with them. Seems like some have missed these older franchises completely (probably their parents and/or older siblings weren't big fans). But if they watch even one HP movie they get hooked instantly - I haven't met anybody that didn't like it - only those that didn't see it at all.

1 minute ago, ThomasNicole said:

Absolutely horrible final day of presales, shockingly horrible. Still 9M previews is decent. 

Now what we can hope is that the final day was so bad because the fans want so see on IMAX and premium screens and will watch though the weekend instead of rush it, and that maybe casuals also partially decided to skip previews due to the very long running time. 

Presales for the weekend still seems very solid, so i’m hoping it can manage 8x IM or slightly more for ~75M OW. 

That would be good.

I think we just never know what reasons any person would have for not getting tickets yet. I have not gotten tickets yet because I am waiting on friends who are at a point in life where  it is hard for them to commit to a 2 hour 46 movie because they have a 8 year old and all the complications that arise from that. Life gets in the way with most regular people who do not feel they have to see any movie the minute it comes out esp a 166 minute long one. 

The closer thing pop culture had to Dune is GOT. That saga is really very slow burning, violence is strong and also there is a certain kind of pessimism permeating the whole thing. Characters are not bad- good but can change with the events..as they can surprisingly die during the story. So the story doesn't have a perfect arch where all the characters you got at the start are at the end of the story etc..

It's not like GOT was watched by 20M people from season 1. It was a decade of more and more people starting to watch It. 

Until every dune movie makes better than the One before (and more money of its budget) It's okay.

Like kids say "let them cook"  🤣

Edited by vale9001
  • Like 1

70-80M OW for Dune Part 2 was expected and it's undoubtely great.

I crossed fingers it could jump a bit higher to help theaters after a dismal February, but still a nice start for the month.

In the end, Dune was never the kind of franchise GA would be eager to see ASAP. Also, the long runtime could have impacted previews walkups. Not easy to find time a normal Thursday to watch a 165 minutes film!

• Like 2