Grand Cine

3/08-3/10 Weekend Estimates : KFP 4 : 58,3M , Dune 2 : 46,3M , Imaginary : 10M , Caprini : 7,6M

43 minutes ago, leoh said:

lol

Some people get me wrong cuz I’m always trying to be realistic. But I really love Dune, the first and the second one even more.

Denis is highly influenced by French cinema and in one of his interviews he basically said he holds a Deleuzian view of cinema. Dune is arguably the greatest representation of Deleuzian cinema ever produced. People should just understand this kind of cinema is not for everyone’s taste. The fact that Dune is hitting 200M domestically should be seen as a great win. But when some people start talking about 1 billion/ 300M+ this just sets others for disappointment.

The problem is your "realism" is coming off like bitter axe grinding. Just go ahead with the fact that you love these movies and leave the other crap about people being to optimistic about it's BO behind. It's no skin off your back if they feel that way. 

• Like 4
  • Knock It Off 1

47 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Ugh, that’s way way better of an opening for KFP4 than it ever deserved. This is absolutely sending the wrong message to Hollywood that animation is only viable in sequel form now. The last stronghold for originality in the industry is caving, and once the floor falls out on all these sequels because eventually they will run out of ones people care about, then what? 

C’mon now. They’ll take it as sequels and known IP are the only way forward.

• Sad 1

48 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Ugh, that’s way way better of an opening for KFP4 than it ever deserved. This is absolutely sending the wrong message to Hollywood that animation is only viable in sequel form now. The last stronghold for originality in the industry is caving, and once the floor falls out on all these sequels because eventually they will run out of ones people care about, then what? 

I mean this is true not only about animated movies, that’s why we have too many sequels coming out this year. Sequels became like a safer investment for studios.

Pretty amazing for KFP4 given the way presales were going for a while there. I admit I did not see this outgrossing Puss in Boots: The Last Wish considering the trailer looked quite mediocre with no real hook. Critical and audience reception was also nowhere near as glowing as The Last Wish.

This really isn't the time for the "more originality" posturing. Theaters need the revenue, and it doesn't help anyone if the "reliable tentpoles" flop too. Also, both the family movie that came before and the next one coming after KFP4 are original.

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, AniNate said:

This really isn't the time for the "more originality" posturing. Theaters need the revenue, and it doesn't really help anyone if the "reliable tentpoles" flop too. Also, both the family movie that came before and the next one coming after KFP4 are original.

At this point it will never be "the time" though. Hard to be excited about some mediocre cheap sequel doing so well for Dreamworks even moreso knowing they are about to start to outsource and make everything even cheaper too.

Like...it's a good thing for theaters as they badly need the revenue in these dire months, I agree, but it's not like I'm personally happy about what this success says. Though it doesn't say anything new, really. Nostalgia is what sells now.

• Like 2

does anyone remember not long after the first one hit Jeffrey Katzenberg was talking about how Kung Fu Panda was gonna be this big six movie saga that they had already mapped out the whole plot? he was definitely lying about that but anyway two more to go.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CoolioD1 said:

does anyone remember not long after the first one hit Jeffrey Katzenberg was talking about how Kung Fu Panda was gonna be this big six movie saga that they had already mapped out the whole plot? he was definitely lying about that but anyway two more to go.

I was 8 so no :lol: 

19 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

At this point it will never be "the time" though. Hard to be excited about some mediocre cheap sequel doing so well for Dreamworks even moreso knowing they are about to start to outsource and make everything even cheaper too.

Like...it's a good thing for theaters as they badly need the revenue in these dire months, I agree, but it's not like I'm personally happy about what this success says. Though it doesn't say anything new, really. Nostalgia is what sells now.

You don't have to be happy about it, but as I said if it bombs it doesn't help anyone. Dreamworks is a lot more likely to just shut down completely if all their franchise IPs disappoint than pivot towards an original-driven slate.

It's not like Dreamworks was ever really revered, ambitious animation revolutionaries the way maybe Disney/Pixar was at one time; they've always been mostly in the business of producing 90 minute timekillers, and it's healthier for the exhibition industry if families are at least willing to show up for those. Just because their cheap sequels are breakouts doesn't mean more original and ambitious films can't still be made and be big hits, and DW may indeed have one coming up of their own in Wild Robot.

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 3
  • Knock It Off 1

27 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

One of many things he said that ended up not panning out.

I presume DW has learned their lesson. They used to date movies like three years in advance and now it's less than a rolling year ahead at most, in Ruby Gillman's case its existence wasn't even public knowledge until three months prior.

Edited by AniNate

29 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

lol I do remember that. He also said we would get 3 HTTYD movies in that same interview. And well, that's gonna be incorrect once the fourth movie drops...7? 8 years from now? Yeah, somewhere around that time. Maybe even sooner.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, AniNate said:

This really isn't the time for the "more originality" posturing. Theaters need the revenue, and it doesn't help anyone if the "reliable tentpoles" flop too. Also, both the family movie that came before and the next one coming after KFP4 are original.

I feel bad for theaters. They don’t control the content. But it’s a pretty awful lineup of films pretty much every year. For the most part it feels like Hollywood lost its magic touch over the last 30 years as they have placed more and more emphasis on sequels & big brand material. 

4 hours ago, Minnale101 said:

Diversity demos for kung fu panda 4 

hispsnics/latinos 44%

White 22%

black 11%

Asian 18%

I did not know po was that popular with the Latinos, that’s awesome hahah. Bodes well for Latin America international numbers 

That's an even higher Latino share than Mario, which was already very high to begin with for an animated film. Mario ended up being the highest-grossing film of all time in Mexico, so maybe KFP4 can deliver big numbers there too.

Moviegoers were guys at 60%, with 62% between 18-34, with the largest quad being 18-24 years old at 33%. Diversity demos showed Latino and Hispanic audiences in the lead at 41%, Caucasian at 30%, Black at 15%, and Asian/other at 14%. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

I feel bad for theaters. They don’t control the content. But it’s a pretty awful lineup of films pretty much every year. For the most part it feels like Hollywood lost its magic touch over the last 30 years as they have placed more and more emphasis on sequels & big brand material. 

This is why the April slate this year fascinates me. It doesn't have a Mario behemoth but it does have a lot of auteur-driven high-concept adult titles. Seems like the platonic ideal for a jaded cinephile.

10 minutes ago, AniNate said:

This is why the April slate this year fascinates me. It doesn't have a Mario behemoth but it does have a lot of auteur-driven high-concept adult titles. Seems like the platonic ideal for a jaded cinephile.

And don’t forget Civil War, a true Oscar contender from what’s I could read recently 

2 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

I really hope at least one of IO2 or DM4 severely underperforms just to stifle the absolute onslaught of animation sequels we’re gonna get if they don’t 

I don't know, I think we need a few years of successful sequels to start bringing families back to theaters for animation. I already don't like that most studios outsource animation to other countries to make sure they make a profit.