kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers | actuals | 80.01M G×K: THE NEW EMPIRE | 11.35M DUNE II

38 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

Frozen Empire dropping from Afterlife (even if it was a small drop) can't fill Sony with excitement especially as Afterlife came out when it was still the pandemic and FE boasted the "original stars" that fanboys claimed they wanted when GB '16 came out. 

The movie is still performing good relative to its budget.

32 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

Frozen Empire dropping from Afterlife (even if it was a small drop) can't fill Sony with excitement especially as Afterlife came out when it was still the pandemic and FE boasted the "original stars" that fanboys claimed they wanted when GB '16 came out. 

I mean it still did well above the mid-30s most here expected, and the focus on the original cast as the main hook was arguably a detriment. The audience who would care don’t go to the theaters anymore, and Afterlife emphasized the new cast and Stranger Things vibes to bring in new, younger crowds. I doubt a third movie would do well, but this is fine enough imo.

2 minutes ago, Eric Atreides said:

I mean it still did well above the mid-30s most here expected, and the focus on the original cast as the main hook was arguably a detriment. The audience who would care don’t go to the theaters anymore, and Afterlife emphasized the new cast and Stranger Things vibes to bring in new, younger crowds. I doubt a third movie would do well, but this is fine enough imo.

That factor is especially going to bite Scream 7 hard when it eventually is released. The big reason why Radio Silence was able to rejuvenate the franchise was because their new characters connected deeply with today's youth, and convinced them to go see a movie they otherwise might not have. Now both of the big ones are gone, and they're going back to heavily relying and focusing on the original cast, which did not help Scream 4 at all. At this point I honestly wouldn't be surprised if this new one does even worse than that

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

That factor is especially going to bite Scream 7 hard when it eventually is released. The big reason why Radio Silence was able to rejuvenate the franchise was because their new characters connected deeply with today's youth, and convinced them to go see a movie they otherwise might not have. Now both of the big ones are gone, and they're going back to heavily relying and focusing on the original cast, which did not help Scream 4 at all. At this point I honestly wouldn't be surprised if this new one does even worse than that

Would be awesome to see Scream 7 flop ngl

• Like 1

Big number for GxK.

Honestly surprised too, I figured GvK had the novelty of seeing the two fight each other, but the trailers for GxK were kind of lacking a similar hook to me. Turns out GA just wants monster movies. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, BoxOfficeZ said:

Big number for GxK.

Honestly surprised too, I figured GvK had the novelty of seeing the two fight each other, but the trailers for GxK were kind of lacking a similar hook to me. Turns out GA just wants monster movies. 

I think the combination of the goodwill from GvK + the lack of pure popcorn action films for months now + the current Godzilla rennaissance all played a role here.

And the nature of the MonsterVerse as well in my opinion: The main reason i think why the Series continues to be relevant is that in the 10 years since G14, theres now just been 5 movies and 1 TV show. Thats new content for the fans every 2 years and its probably a way more healthy format for a Cinemativ Universe. The Godzilla/Kong films have still not been overexposed to audiences and with a minimum of 2 years separating every installment, the new movie always feels like something special. Its the Anti-Marvel (especially Phase 4) format, if you will.

Edited by Brainbug
  • Like 3

27 minutes ago, MightyDargon said:

Scream 7 absolutely will bomb because the Rule 0 circumstances of Melissa's firing will most likely still be going on by then and people Neve Campbell's age don't pay money for theatrical horror.

lol I don’t think they’re going after an audience Neve Campbell’s age. I was 7 when she was filming Scream. 

1 hour ago, Eric Atreides said:

The biggest issue Ghostbusters is running into is that there's no OS audience for it to maintain blockbuster level budgets. It's one of the 80s franchises which never had an installment in the 2000s to get into what were then growing markets. Star Wars ran into the same problem where the traditional markets stayed and were big enough but the new markets really didn't respond.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, excel1 said:

David GOAT Zaslav continues his epic winning streak 😱

He kind of just got lucky with a lot of these lol. That said, the stuff that Abdy & De Luca have been green-lighting recently has been nothing short of insanely exciting; really cool to see a major Hollywood studio green-light so many big, non-IP auteur vehicles lately. The sad undercurrent running through the whole thing is that I feel like a lot of this is just to get WB in good shape before the inevitable sale; the next WB CEO could just turn it into a re-run of the Tsujihara years where it's all shitty prequels no-one asked for haha

• Like 1

I don't see why most media companies would want to buy ALL of WB and absorb its huge debt load. Maybe Apple could do it? I think both it and Paramount will most likely get stripped for parts. Does Legendary actually own its Monsterverse films/media?

1 hour ago, Brainbug said:

I think the combination of the goodwill from GvK + the lack of pure popcorn action films for months now + the current Godzilla rennaissance all played a role here.

And the nature of the MonsterVerse as well in my opinion: The main reason i think why the Series continues to be relevant is that in the 10 years since G14, theres now just been 5 movies and 1 TV show. Thats new content for the fans every 2 years and its probably a way more healthy format for a Cinemativ Universe. The Godzilla/Kong films have still not been overexposed to audiences and with a minimum of 2 years separating every installment, the new movie always feels like something special. Its the Anti-Marvel (especially Phase 4) format, if you will.

I see this argument a lot but... it isn't healthier, Marvel's format is leagues and leagues more successful, it's not even a comparison. I would argue the Monsterverse is not even really viewed as a cinematic universe by most audiences.

1 hour ago, MightyDargon said:

Scream 7 absolutely will bomb because the Rule 0 circumstances of Melissa's firing will most likely still be going on by then and people Neve Campbell's age don't pay money for theatrical horror.

I don't know if this is a troll post or serious. 😄

General audience don't even know the actors names, they know the franchise.

So no, Scream 7 will not bomb because an actress almost nobody knows was fired.

• Like 1