MightyDargon

Weekend 4/19-21: ABIGAIL 1 mil previews

3 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

They wouldn’t come out to support this movie even if she didn’t comment anything lol, look at how disappointing every non-blockbuster movie is performing these days 

Still stupid to fire her from Scream, people clearly loved her and Jenna on that franchise. 

Sadly, in the country of free speech telling the truth is a horrible crime apparently and should be punished even if it derails a stablished rebrand.

I mean it is Paramount, the studio that thinks people want Whedon style quip dialogue in a giant fighting robot movie. It's the kind of brilliance that brought them to the edge of the reaper's scythe.

47 minutes ago, TMP said:

Still insane that he has such a devoted fan base off the back of only having 2 watchable movies, and even then I’m probably being kinder to 300 given that I have childhood nostalgia for it

DOTD is his only good film 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Disbelief 1
  • Knock It Off 1

23 minutes ago, MightyDargon said:

I mean it is Paramount, the studio that thinks people want Whedon style quip dialogue in a giant fighting robot movie. It's the kind of brilliance that brought them to the edge of the reaper's scythe.

It was Spyglass, a production company, not Paramount. 

29 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

They wouldn’t come out to support this movie even if she didn’t comment anything lol, look at how disappointing every non-blockbuster movie is performing these days 

Still stupid to fire her from Scream, people clearly loved her and Jenna on that franchise. 

Sadly, in the country of free speech telling the truth is a horrible crime apparently and should be punished even if it derails a stablished rebrand.

Melissa Berrera shouldn’t have been fired for her opinions but she is a bland actress and her leaving Scream is no loss acting talent wise and won’t effect the box office of 7

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

That’s ok for Abigail, hopefully it’s not frontloaded and gets $11-12m+ for the weekend. 

Considering Universal only seemingly started promoting it this week, hopefully the great reviews will carry it. Should be certified soon at 83%. 

I've seen billboards and bus ads for weeks now. 

1 hour ago, kayumanggi said:

So, ultimately not terrible, even as it became clear in the last 2 weeks that this is a dump by the studio...if it wasn't a dump (or if it was a $5 ticket), I suspect it would have done better, but c'est la vie.  We'll see if $5 helps Challengers break the teens level next week...

• Knock It Off 1

1 hour ago, AJG said:

Please remember that the movie event of the year is out TODAY and that it will most definitely deflate this weekends BO.

IMG-7086.jpg

Jeez, that low? Now I have to Watch it

I thought Abigail had breakout written all over it when the first trailer dropped. Yet I’d forgotten it was even coming out this weekend until recently. Uni really haven’t ramped this up at all. Surprising considering the critical reception it’s had. They should have screened this weeks ago and got the hype rolling. 

Lionsgate is calling their all-in previews for Guy Ritchie’s The Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare at $1.45M, however that includes around $600K in advance shows from last weekend in addition to Thursday’s cash. Which means Universal’s Radio Silence vampire movie, Abigail, won Thursday previews with $1M. Meanwhile, Sony Crunchyroll’s anime movie Spy x Family Code: White did $670K from shows that began at 4PM.

The weekend crown is expected to be a game of rock, paper, scissors between Abigail and A24’s second weekend of Civil War at about $12M+ apiece. Civil War led Thursday among pics in regular release with $1.6M, -14% from Wednesday, for a first week of $33.1M at 3,838 theaters.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Eric Atreides said:

Moderation

I know where this Melissa Barrera conversation is going. And it’s not worth it. Please move on to something else.

It will go where every conversation involving a hot person goes: IN MY HORNY PANTS.

tenor.gif

• Haha 2
  • ...wtf 2

1 hour ago, Flopped said:

Not great given the aggressive promotion. 

5 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

I thought Abigail had breakout written all over it when the first trailer dropped. Yet I’d forgotten it was even coming out this weekend until recently. Uni really haven’t ramped this up at all. Surprising considering the critical reception it’s had. They should have screened this weeks ago and got the hype rolling. 

we're all in our own world.

• Haha 1

Lol, I just an e-mail from my local Regal that they're cutting standard format ticket prices to $7 for everything at everytime

Pretty much a last gasp to keep that theater afloat

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Lol, I just an e-mail from my local Regal that they're cutting standard format ticket prices to $7 for everything at everytime

My local Regal is still charging full price $13.50 for each movie. They DGAF I guess. Meanwhile all the Spiderman 2 showings for $5 are nearly sold out.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, AniNate said:

I would totally take advantage of that Friday and Saturday nights...

• Like 2