ZeeSoh

Joker: Folie à Deux Weekend Thread

22 minutes ago, AJG said:

Yep. This one was reported some time ago

Btw WILD ROBOT PVOD - Oct 14th

iTunes Rips could be online as early as TOMORROW due to international rollout.

The problems with having a staggered rollout, although family films don’t really seem to be affected.  We don’t get Wild Robot in the U.K. until October 18th

10 minutes ago, Madhuvan said:

Joker was bad movie 

Glad GP is waking up to reality. 

Next CA4 will be bomb and we will be finally free of half baked superhero movies 

I hate that DP3 was successful ,it's so bad honestly 

Captain America bombing is… possible, but not locked. In fact I think it’ll have a good chance of being a decent hit. I don’t see Captain America being as universally rejected as Joker 2 tbh

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, CJohn said:

When a big movie nowadays bombs and gets rejected, it really bombs for the ages. No middle ground. You either do 300M+ or 80M. Insane stuff.

To be fair, pretty sure that Quantumania and Eternals also lost money giving their budgets and both did over $400M WW. Even The Flash at least made over $100M DOM 

8 minutes ago, Alexander said:

Wild Robot's weekend is quite bad, no? So many people here claimed 150+ is locked with that OW but I don't know. 10, 15, 20 years ago it would drop 30-35% in the worst case scenario.

That’s because audiences were willing to watch stuff that wasn’t something they were already familiar with back then. Now their brains can’t handle watching something that isn’t based on something from their childhoods. If Despciable Me came out today, it would have done 40M at best and only gross like 135M domestically. It’s just depressing

• Like 1

For The last third of the year, for me :

BeetleJuice 2 : around 450M WW

Wild Robot : 200-250M WW

Transformers One : 150M WW

Joker 2 : 250M WW , maybe 300M

Smile 2 : around 150M WW

Venom 3 : 450-500M WW

Gladiator 2 : 550-600M WW

Wicked : 250-300M WW

Moana 2 : 1,1-1,2B WW

Mufasa : 900-1B WW

Sonic 3 : 450-500M WW

Lord of the Ring : around 100M WW

• ...wtf 1

15 minutes ago, AJG said:

Makes me wonder if people even liked the original Joker…

Not sure why there is still doubt. The movie didn't super explode out of the gate, instead it actually legged out to 1bn+. Got tons of industry figure like Tarantino, Chastain come out to defend to movie in the middle of backlash and discourse. The industry clearly love the movie and showered it with 11 Oscar nominations. Sequel flop doesn't mean the original was not liked. 

This is like saying Fantastic Beast underperformed proved that Harry Potter series is actually not beloved. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Jay Beezy said:

The big reason for Captain America to bomb is its budget.

Definitely, but I don’t believe it’ll bomb as badly as Ant-Man 3

2 minutes ago, Grand Cine said:

For The last third of the year, for me :

BeetleJuice 2 : around 450M WW

Wild Robot : 200-250M WW

Transformers One : 150M WW

Joker 2 : 250M WW , maybe 300M

Smile 2 : around 150M WW

Venom 3 : 450-500M WW

Gladiator 2 : 550-600M WW

Wicked : 250-300M WW

Moana 2 : 1,1-1,2B WW

Mufasa : 900-1B WW

Sonic 3 : 450-500M WW

Lord of the Ring : around 100M WW

i have Mufasa at 1.06B and Moana 2 at 1.365B

14 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

The problems with having a staggered rollout, although family films don’t really seem to be affected.  We don’t get Wild Robot in the U.K. until October 18th

It’s happened with Boss Baby 2, Croods 2, and Migration. Movie studios over-inflate the impact of piracy in order to influence copyright law. I remember when Sony leaked TASM 2 on Korean YouTube a month early by accident, there was only around three emails in the Sony wikileak about it. They do not care.

1 hour ago, Firepower said:

Crime thriller wouldn't work with this version of the character. I think the ending of the first one implied Joker becoming a cult leader, Charles Manson type of figure, in fact Gaga's Harley was inspired by Manson girls. But unfortunately Phillips didn't go there.

That story progression actually makes sense. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, vale9001 said:

We should now accept the  reality: After a couple of decades where "It's Always summer" post pandemic  june, july and half august Is only time when the box office is good for big movies. 

Thanksgiving week, 3 weeks at Christmas/New Years, and Spring Break weeks (the staggered 4-6 weeks before Easter) are also good.

So, about 20 weeks of good movie going...and 32 weeks of bad ones...

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, AMC Theaters Enjoyer said:

Clearly you’re all forgetting about the real big ticket this winter:

MV5BZmFkMjE4NjQtZTVmZS00MDZjLWE2ZmEtZTkz

Apparently this is getting a big push with Amazon. All their boxes and Christmas ads will be a tie-in for this movie.

Rock also came back to WWE with a fake championship belt he made for himself. I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone else do such a thing

Edited by AJG

5 minutes ago, Eric Quinn said:

That’s because audiences were willing to watch stuff that wasn’t something they were already familiar with back then. Now their brains can’t handle watching something that isn’t based on something from their childhoods. If Despciable Me came out today, it would have done 40M at best and only gross like 135M domestically. It’s just depressing

I mean do we need to keep going over and over this. Yes audiences are risk averse now. There are a lot of reasons for this that may not be solely due to them being dumb small brained idiots. The studios have to take a lot of the blame with the movies they Choose to greenlight and put the major marketing behind. It seems like a lot the original movies are given half assed lazy marketing campaigns.  You can probably hear the GA say all the time they did not know that movie even existed or they put it out at the end of September when we are busy with lots of other stuff as opposed to IO2 and DM 4 in the summer when we have the time to take the kids. It's a chicken  and egg scenario. 

• Like 2

Assuming that each one gets at least an "it's fine" reception, I think 

Smile 2 - $185M 

Venom 3 - $450M - $600M

Wicked - $350M - $550M

Gladiator 2 - $300M - $500M 

Moana 2 - $1B - $1.3B

Sonic 3 - $400M - $550M 

Mufasa - $600M - $800M 

I can see a billion for Mufasa but for me it depends also in the new soundtrack. A family friendly musical during the holidays that people actually love and it's based on a very popular IP and favorite chilhood movie? It could be Wonka but on a bigger scale. 

Edited by Mickiland16