ZeeSoh

Joker: Folie à Deux Weekend Thread

16 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Let's not pretend Joker is going for arthouse. It's going for a 3rd grader on Reddit's idea of arthouse, maybe.

a cinema which specializes in showing films that are artistic or experimental rather than merely entertaining.

So how is this different from this definition?

11 minutes ago, thajdikt said:

BLACK WIDOW WAS GREAT

It does nothing right. At least Folie a Deux has somewhat nice cinematography. 

Black Widow has two terrible villains in one movie. Terrible CGI, really bad jokes, poor writing all around, no significant emotional weight. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Firepower said:
a cinema which specializes in showing films that are artistic or experimental rather than merely entertaining.

So how is this different from this definition?

It is an experimental film. Most comic book movies did not attempt to do singing or radically deconstruct the characters.

Phillips got away with this succesfully ONCE. I am now convinced this is the equivalent of a lion succesfully killing an elephant. It did NOT happen again.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

They did a Joker love story jukebox musical and didn't even have him sing about the pompatus of love. Utter failure.

Phillips was committed to the bit, nothing too modern. I shudder thinking about how low energy a The Joker song number would be, he could barely inject energy into actual musical songs.  

Edited by wattage
  • Like 1

I'd say only one of last year's Best Picture nominees were remotely arthouse, maybeeeeee two. Wolfs premiered at Venice too, that shit isn't arthouse. Arthouse means something different nowadays than that definition posted. Ah fuck it why am I even arguing this? Forget it.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Cmasterclay said:

I'd say only one of last year's Best Picture nominees were remotely arthouse, maybeeeeee two. Wolfs premiered at Venice too, that shit isn't arthouse. Arthouse means something different nowadays than that definition posted. Ah fuck it why am I even arguing this? Forget it.

I appreciate you trying

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

It's arthouse conceived by the director of the Hangover movies who heard the word arthouse a lot when he was getting feedback for his King of Comedy remake and he looked up the definition online 

• Like 3
  • Haha 12

1 hour ago, Noctis said:

Gaga came out best in this whole ordeal. Even with a one-note character, her charisma and screen presence is immense.

And she's rightfully still getting awards buzz even with a panned movie.

10 minutes ago, Opium said:

9 minutes ago, MightyDargon said:

Gaga is not gonna win awards for a movie that loses 100 million.

Ana de Armas was nominated for Best Actress in a movie that was won the Worst Picture Razzie. Wouldn't be the first time.

Edited by Mojoguy

3 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

Ana de Armas was nominated for Best Actress in a movie that was won the Worst Picture Razzie. Wouldn't be the first time.

Glenn Close was also nominated at the Razzie and Oscar for the same role just few years ago with 'Hillbilly Elegy', red on metacritic and rotten.

• Like 3

Haven't read everything yet, but a Mt Rushmore of villains has to have villains that literally stood for multiple movies as the menace...

So, for me, it's:

Darth Vader

Lord Voldemort (aka "He who shall not be named")

Thanos

Sauron

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Opium said:

She could get nominated but as an awards obsessive, IME awards media rely on click bait as much as the rest of them, and Gaga is a lightning rod to fans and haters.

37 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

What's the most rotten movie to ever win best actress? :hahaha:

Rotten Tomatoes has the answer!

For those who don't want to scroll, it's Mary Pickford in Coquette (1929). Incidentally, awards historians often attribute the very first Oscar campaign to her, as the movie wasn't even that well liked back then:

At the time, Academy Award winners were chosen by the five-member Board of Judges, and Pickford had the quintet over for tea. An invitation to Pickfair, the estate she shared with her husband, Douglas Fairbanks, was the greatest status symbol in Hollywood, and the committee was duly appreciative, naming Pickford best actress at the 1928-29 Awards. Protests over this blatant bribery led to the opening of balloting to all academy members; voters could still be bought off, but it would take a much greater effort.

Imagine if Weinstein had only had to bribe five voters per year instead of thousands!

Anyway, all but three winners from the list were in movies now considered fresh. The most recent Best Actress winner in a "Rotten" movie is Meryl Streep in The Iron Lady.

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MightyDargon said:

I mean, it is going for arthouse. Nearly 3 hour movie with minimal action scenes and loads of courtroom stuff spliced with musical segments doesn't really scream "commercial comic book movie". That doesn't mean it pulls this off well, though.

Yikes...okay, seeing this plot, put me down for lowest superhero weekend to overall DOM multiplier ever...