ZeeSoh

Joker: Folie à Deux Weekend Thread

They’re going to have to spend like 300m on the marketing campaign for Superman to convince moviegoers to take another chance on DC. I was rooting for them but it’s hard to ignore 4 years of flop after flop. Maybe if James Gunn makes a amazing film, it can leg it out like Batman Begins.

19 minutes ago, Cooper Legion said:

Yea. Different movies do different business depending on how interested audiences are 😛 

Yeah, but it's before covid and during superhero genre craze, there's no way it would've done the same.

1 hour ago, Nero said:

Lmao. I'm guessing hirani for Dunki. What about others?

Treverrow for Dominion 

Hirani for Doonki

Waldron for Daenerysing Wanda

Emmerich I think I should replace, since Godzilla 1998 released way back and I don't care much

I'll replace him with Anand L Rai

11 minutes ago, eddyxx said:

They’re going to have to spend like 300m on the marketing campaign for Superman to convince moviegoers to take another chance on DC. I was rooting for them but it’s hard to ignore 4 years of flop after flop. Maybe if James Gunn makes a amazing film, it can leg it out like Batman Begins.

That superbowl spot won't be cheap as seen with The Flash. First Class is the best case scenario. It's odd every time a DC movie has bombed everyone always claims the next will be the smash hit miracle, we have been waiting for that to happen since years now lol.

16 minutes ago, TomThomas said:

Yeah, but it's before covid and during superhero genre craze, there's no way it would've done the same.

"before covid" lol. just look at the phenomenal runs of Inside Out 2 and Deadpool & Wolverine. these were after covid, may I remind you. covid no longer plays a role. moviegoers will come to the movies if they think it's worth it.

• Like 2
  • ...wtf 1

3 minutes ago, Quigley said:

"before covid" lol. just look at the phenomenal runs of Inside Out 2 and Deadpool & Wolverine. these were after covid, may I remind you. covid no longer plays a role. moviegoers will come to the movies if they think it's worth it.

You are missing the point, before covid they watched almost any superhero movie no matter quality, covid and superhero genre decline made people much more selective.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, TomThomas said:

You are missing the point, before covid they watched almost any superhero movie no matter quality, covid and superhero genre decline made people much more selective.

superhero genre decline, yes. covid has nothing to do with anything anymore.

• Like 1

Joker 2 is … fine? 

I don’t know, maybe the world is in a very childish moment overall, but i just can’t wrap my head over the fact that Todd Philips of all people manage to made 2 movies that broked the culture back to back.

It’s such a normal movie. Sure it’s highly flawed, and it is an exercise in frustration and revisionism of itself which isn’t really a crowdpleasing decision. But there’s a good amount of interesting things going on there thematically and there’s hardly anything offensive about it narratively. At worst, it’s just boring.

It’s a very average movie and yet it feels like the world is ending lol. 

Edited by ThomasNicole

5 hours ago, Assassin said:

WHITE BIRD (2024)A+

The same cinemascore as Wonder. But the big different in term of BO between White Bird and Wonder. Wonder made 300m+ back in 2017 but I doubt wonder can comfortably hit 1/10 of that. In a way, this is another "Joker fall off the cliff" story of this week.  

18 minutes ago, TomThomas said:

COVID doesn't really make people more selective.

We will likely in a similar situation with the superhero genre decline even without COVID. 

50 minutes ago, TomThomas said:

As I originally stated it’s really not clear that there’s much difference for superhero movies generally from now vs a half dozen years ago. DCEU put out infinity audience misses in a row and got damaged, sure. MCU put out a bunch of dicey stuff post endgame and got damaged, absolutely. Those are franchise specific stuff. You still had your Dark Phoenix and Fant4stic and stuff before, and you’ve still got your The Batmans and Spiderverses and gotg3 now. The key difference is that the two most prominent franchises took franchise damage over time from quality issues and lots of movies have had individual quality issues, but the broader environment for the genre as a whole is mostly the same.

Edited by Cooper Legion
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, TomThomas said:

This simply isn’t true though lol. That’s the problem 😆

9 minutes ago, Cooper Legion said:

This simply isn’t true though lol. That’s the problem 😆

What do you mean? Most superhero movies between 2012 and 2019 were successful no matter quality, BvS and Suicide Squad still made a lot of money with huge opening weekends and Captain Marvel made over a billion on autopilot just because of a connection to the huge superhero crossover. It's something that's not happening anymore, now we have tons of huge flops with some successes in between. Climate is clearly different.

12 minutes ago, Kon said:

COVID doesn't really make people more selective.

We will likely in a similar situation with the superhero genre decline even without COVID. 

It affected other movies as well, not just superhero movies. Sure, decline would've happened anyway, but not this fast and sharp.

Edited by TomThomas

Once upon a time, the general audience would watch Harvey Weinstein take a giant dump if it had a Marvel or DC logo before it.

It's safe to say we're beyond that now. It took about 50 bad CBM's but yeah, only quality product is rewarded today.

Which is more than I can say for Westerns. Even a good Western would struggle in this era. That's how you know a genre is dead.