Neo

The Magnificent Seven | 9/23/16 | Reviews coming in - not exactly Magnificent

Well the theater was crowded yesterday-not as crowded as the 2 newer theaters have been when I go to them though, but still for a mid September it was crowed. I hope this gets nominated for cinematography. (the audience clapped at the end of the film)

16 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

The Native American character felt like a total afterthought though.

Aside from

Hide contents

Sharing a deer stomach/liver/something with Denzel and soloing the evil Native American, he did nothing.

Aside from some forced friction with Chris Pratt's character, the Mexican Sevener pretty much just was a warm body too.

And coincidence or not

Spoiler

they are the ones who make it at the end. Odd uh?

The audience score on RT has been steadily on the rise since the movie came out, which is definitely a positive sign.

It started out at 73% when I first looked at it on Thursday and now it's at 79%. Seems like the audience definitely responds better to this movie than the critics, even if you disregard the A- cinemascore.

• Like 1

On 9/22/2016 at 7:51 PM, 4815162342 said:

It's good and entertaining, but aside from larger scale action and some nifty ways of dispatching some enemies it doesn't really bring anything to the table that the original (or Seven Samurai) didn't.

Denzel is Denzel. Pratt is somewhere between his JW character and Star Lord. The Mexican and Comanche characters are pretty much window dressing. Ethan Hawke is really the only character who has an actual (if abbreviated) character arc. Byung-hun Lee is for the most part silent and deadly, but he has some banter/repartee with Hawke's character. Vinny D is a crazy ball of hair spouting nonsensical quips with the voice of a kid just breaking into puberty.

Haley Bennett's role is actually not thankless at all, she has a few strong moments. Sarsgaard's villain gets some monologue goodness in a couple scenes but we could have used some of his presence in the middle/final act instead of just sitting on a horse glaring into the distance.

Agree with most of what you said apart from Haley Bennett, felt that she kind of got shuffled to the background once the actual Seven came on the scene and

Spoiler

the climax made her "revenge" background noise to Denzel getting revenge on Sarsgaard in a plot thread which just came from out of literally nowhere

Sarsgaard was pretty much one mustache twirl short of being Dick Dasterdly

One very minor plot point that I have no idea why it was even in the movie was

Spoiler

the old Comanche guy on the bad guys side. When he was introduced, my first thought was "Please don't let him be there just so we get the good guy Comanche have an action beat", but that is why he was there in the end.

• Like 1

So my favorite part of the movie was 

Spoiler

Pratt's death

and appearantly that part was changed quite heavily from the original script due to budget issues created by the weather. BTW the video contains major spoilers.

Makes me wonder what else they had to change. Sounds like they had to be very flexible with the script.

Edited by JennaJ
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, kowhite said:

This was a solid piece of fun.  Great?  No.  Fun?  Yes.  A bit of a stilted start, but fun characters and solid action.

Recommended matinee.

LA boxofficeforum club for the win.  We all thought it was...fine.  Im glad we agreed.

No angry rants. :(  If only @CJohn had been able to make that Lisbon-LAX flight...

• Like 1

This felt so boring and lifeless to me. Denzel and Pratt ooze charisma and yet it seemed nearly absent here. It was just one of those films where I knew everything that would happen next so it felt really pointless to be invested. And it just slowly trudged through that runtime throughout, even the big fight scene went on way too long. Hawke was easily the highlight though and continues to be one of the most underrated in Hollywood

Just now, Sam said:

@4815162342 @MrPink 

The movie has only been released for a week and I already see many shipping fanarts of Billy/Goodnight. 

Fuqua/Pizzaman knows their ways around that subset of audience. 

Can it really be true shipping when they're already clearly a OTP in the film itself?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sam said:

@4815162342 @MrPink 

The movie has only been released for a week and I already see many shipping fanarts of Billy/Goodnight. 

Fuqua/Pizzaman knows their ways around that subset of audience. 

I did notice something there. They should have shared a drink together.

And more.

I was actually fairly pleased with Billy's role in the film. B+ on representation effort.

• Like 2

Just now, 4815162342 said:

Can it really be true shipping when they're already clearly a OTP in the film itself?

Can't argue with that.

I guess there is just no subtlety to be had when it comes to gay cowboys.