Neo

The Magnificent Seven | 9/23/16 | Reviews coming in - not exactly Magnificent

Just saw it and it was good. It wasn't the best movie ever thanks to the its predictable story, but I loved the characters (great cast!), enjoyed the actions, humor, and drama. I had so much fun. Denzel and Chris Pratt were charming as always.

Spoiler

I was surprised how they killed most of the seven. But then I vaguely remembered that many of the seven died too in the original. It did add drama and emotional aspect to the movie, which is good and one of the reasons I liked it.

The personalites and actors made this movie to me.  The story of course wasn't anything groundbreaking but the chemistry of the cast had me invested in each character.   Denzel, Hawke, Pratt and Vincent stole the show for sure.   Pratt was the man, had me laughing the whole time.  He was too funny.   I stayed through the whole credits to hear James one last time.  It was very sad.  R.I.P. JAMES.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, filmscholar said:

The personalites and actors made this movie to me.  The story of course wasn't anything groundbreaking but the chemistry of the cast had me invested in each character.   Denzel, Hawke, Pratt and Vincent stole the show for sure.   Pratt was the man, had me laughing the whole time.  He was too funny.   I stayed through the whole credits to hear James one last time.  It was very sad.  R.I.P. JAMES.

I noticed moments in the score that featured a particular cue similar to a cue in Avatar in this track (skip to 0:34).

Edited by Jay Beezy

4 minutes ago, Jay Beezy said:

I noticed moments in the score that featured a particular cue similar to a cue in Avatar in this track (skip to 0:34).

Yeah I caught that, I also felt there were cues/similarties from his "Willow" Score.  It was a crazy trip down memory lane. 

7 minutes ago, Jay Beezy said:

Sounds like his infamous danger motif (which actually was in the film), which was first used in Wrath of Khan actually.

Edited by Daniel Dylan Davis
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, RichWS said:

You hear something from another Horner score in every Horner score. 

You could say the same thing about a lot of composers of course. That's still his most notable and reused theme throughout his scores though. It's basically a trademark of his.

17 minutes ago, Jay Beezy said:

I was just remembering the last movie I heard it in.

Makes sense. I was just pointing it out. I actually kinda shed a tear when I heard the danger motif in The Magnificent Seven.

51 minutes ago, Jay Beezy said:

He used that music cue in almost every blockbuster/larger-scale score he did. It's origin as far as I can tell was Khan's theme in Star Trek II.

The track kicks right off with it.

Edited by 4815162342
  • Like 4

Came back from this a short time ago and I had an absolute blast in it. Loved Denzel, Pratt and Hawke best. Did not see the original so had nothing to compare this to.

As someone who'd not traditionally a Western fan this was a really fun ride.

The Horner soundtrack was really good IMHO. Felt familiar yet still fresh and I love the allusions to the original theme.

Would give it a B+, enjoyed it from start to finish.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Daniel Dylan Davis said:

You could say the same thing about a lot of composers of course. That's still his most notable and reused theme throughout his scores though. It's basically a trademark of his.

Sure they do. I wasn't necessarily knocking him. I love Horner but he did blatantly reach into the same bag of tricks more than anybody.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, RichWS said:

Sure they do. I wasn't necessarily knocking him. I love Horner but he did blatantly reach into the same bag of tricks more than anybody.

I know. The themes for Battle Beyond The Stars, WOK, and Krull are eerily similar for example, and in the last decade before his demise (RIP!), he was basically rehashing a LOT of his music, more then even usual.

I love the guys work, and rehashing doesn't usually bug me since composers do it general, but Horner is probably the most blatant example I can think of in terms of more modern composers (Zimmer would probably be a runner-up).

• Like 1

The difference is while almost every composer reuses certain motifs, Horner glaringly reused whole themes. It's like he would come up with a really good one and then say, "Yeah, let's roll with that for a few scores." Again, I'm a big fan of his. I'm merely making an observation that many have discussed for a long time. 

• Like 2