Neo

It | Sept. 8, 2017 | Warner Brothers | Andy Muschietti directing. Trailer on Page 12 NO SPOILER DISCUSSION. Certified Fresh on Rotten Tomatoes

I can only speak for myself obviously but I feel like IT has been apart of our pop culture for like EVER even if it's been subliminally. 

Like everyone knows about it. Even if they don't know the material or haven't watched anything regarding the material, people know of that clown that scarred people for like life lol 

Maybe it's cause my generation was really hit hard with the fear of clowns because of the movie that I feel this way but if you don't know about Pennywise The Clown, then you're living under a rock. 

It was one of those horror movies that really left a mark on folks. 

Edited by Nova
  • Like 6

I almost feel a sense of pride with IT.  I have loved the book for 30 years.  I know the story inside and out and yet every time I read it, I discover something new, if that makes sense.  I'm so happy that so many people seem excited to see the film and I really hope they don't let me down.  

• Like 8

Just now, Stutterng baumer Denbrough said:

I almost feel a sense of pride with IT.  I have loved the book for 30 years.  I know the story inside and out and yet every time I read it, I discover something new, if that makes sense.  I'm so happy that so many people seem excited to see the film and I really hope they don't let me down.  

The movie fucked me up so badly when I was a kid that I'm scared shitless of reading the book and anytime I hear Stephen King's name pop up, Pennywise just pops into my brain. 

• Like 1

I haven't read the book in years and I'm trying to make my way through it again before the movie comes out. It's such a brutal read (and even frustrating at times) but that's part of what makes it so great. The characters are so universal and timeless and the fact that King doesn't hold back (like at all ha ha) makes it so spellbinding. It's my favorite story of all time.

And I know some people think it's random, but Eddie Kaspbrack is my absolute favorite character in anything ever and I don't know if anyone will ever replace him. One of those characters you feel was written just for you. From what I've seen, Jack Dylan Grazer seems like a perfect fit.

Edited by nomyth
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, nomyth said:

I haven't read the book in years and I'm trying to make my way through it again before the movie comes out. It's such a brutal read (and even frustrating at times) but that's part of what makes it so great. The characters are so universal and timeless and the fact that King doesn't hold back (like at all ha ha) makes it so spellbinding. It's my favorite story of all time.

And I know some people think it's random, but Eddie Kaspbrack is my absolute favorite character in anything ever and I don't know if anyone will ever replace him. One of those characters you feel was written just for you. From what I've seen, Jack Dylan Grazer seems like a perfect fit.

Eddie is my favorite character in the book as well. His story in the 1958 part was so great. In the 1990 miniseries, however, I felt Richie was the best portrayed out of all the main characters.

• Like 2

Interesting that both of you liked Eddie the most.  I liked them all but Ben was my favourite.  I could relate to him, not because of his weight problem but other stuff that I don't want to mention due to spoilers.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Rorschach said:

Eddie is my favorite character in the book as well. His story in the 1958 part was so great. In the 1990 miniseries, however, I felt Richie was the best portrayed out of all the main characters.

Yeah, I can see that. Need to watch it again and see who sticks out this time but I was always a bit disappointed with Eddie in the miniseries. Like you, I especially love his arch in the 1958 arch. And they just didn't have the time to really go in much detail there in the 1990 version.

I'm very optimistic about that being rectified in this version tho!

So was looking on the You Tube page for the guys who reviewed IT and some of their other video titles are Why Dunkirk, Spider-Man Homecoming, WFTPOTA, Atomic Blonde, Detroit, etc  Actually Sucks and titles like Why The Nut Job 2, The Dark Tower, and Transformers: The Last Knight are Actually Great. Yeah something's not adding up here. Plus watching 2 seconds of one of their other videos they stated it's their mission to disagree with RT so..... 

Edited by Rman823
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Nova said:

The movie fucked me up so badly when I was a kid that I'm scared shitless of reading the book and anytime I hear Stephen King's name pop up, Pennywise just pops into my brain. 

I remember when I was 7 how my neighborhood buddy would constantly go "Georgie...Georgie...You'll float too!" (in french) imitating Pennywise with a creepy voice. He would trigger me with images of Pennywise's sharp teeth. In fact, I only watched the mini-series in its entirety when I was in my late twenties, I couldn't make it through part 1 as a child to avoid nightmares. (Whereas my childhood buddy would watch the VHS recording on repeat learning and imitating Pennywise's lines when he was 7...:blink:).

I guess IT had a powerful sway on an entire generation of kids worldwide because it taps right into childhood's psyche and primal fears.

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 5

5 hours ago, KeepItU25071906 said:

Dis  i say smth about "good review always isn't clickbait"? Nope. So...

I just take this video lika a fudge. That's all.

Did I said you said that ?

I asking you people mean by fake/fudge, that those people didn't saw the movie according to you or that they did but are giving a dishonest review more spectacular than just the movie was ok to get clicks. My point was that if they were to make up a review without seeing the movie (to attract click and subscriber a very positive one would have worked better imo, making what they would have done a strange plan)

You said apparently it is click-bait ? what are the appearances ?

Edited by Barnack

Beyond nostalgia I think that IT combines the traditional horror audience (it's about a legendary killer clown dressed up in Stranger Things aesthetics - that's catnip to horror fans) while also being based on a critically acclaimed, character driven book by a beloved author, which is the reason that it appeals to, say, my mom (and me, tbh - slasher films bore me usually). It has all the horror fan rush that can drive a movie to Annabelle numbers, but way more credibility as a multi-quadrant movie and not just a genre piece/slasher movie.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Barnack said:

Did I said you said that ?

I asking you people mean by fake/fudge, that those people didn't saw the movie according to you or that they did but are giving a dishonest review more spectacular than just the movie was ok to get clicks. My point was that if they were to make up a review without seeing the movie (to attract click and subscriber a very positive one would have worked better imo, making what they would have done a strange plan)

You said apparently it is click-bait ? what are the appearances ?

Cause I don't believe them. I can make soooo many different similar reviews: I read the book, saw promo/trailers and different photos from production places. 

BTW, video is deleted now. Ups)

7 minutes ago, KeepItU25071906 said:

Cause I don't believe them.

That I got yes, if I understand the rest of your statement correctly you do not believe they have seen the movie at all, that was my question.

8 minutes ago, KeepItU25071906 said:

BTW, video is deleted now. Ups)

That give credibility to the video (like if they got noticed they did not respect an embargo, they would not have much reason to remove a fake review created for click-bait when they were not under embargo)

25 minutes ago, Barnack said:

That give credibility to the video 

Or, cause they got too many dislikes, they deleted this fudge.

I've seen similar strategy before. They tried to give us a shit, that didn't work and they deleted this video with fearness)))

Edited by KeepItU25071906

11 hours ago, Webslinger said:

I Am Legend and World War Z were marketed as action movies, so despite the labeling on BOM, I would consider Signs to be the top straightforward horror opener.

At this stage, a massive opening for It is inevitable. There's palpable anticipation for the release even though it's still three weeks away, and it will be able to bulldoze everything in its path. Even though I certainly won't be disappointed if it "only" opens in the 50s, I think It's opening above Signs's $60.1 million mark.

Yeh, I think so too. 

However, I Am Legend and World War Z are both zombie films intended to scare. It doesn't matter what they were marketed as. 

5 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Yeh, I think so too. 

However, I Am Legend and World War Z are both zombie films intended to scare. It doesn't matter what they were marketed as. 

When talking opening weekend number (specially in 2007) to use as comparable to try to predict a future movie release arguably only what they were marketed as matter and intention/actual movie is not that relevant.

35 minutes ago, BoxOfficeZ said:

Question here. I might be seeing this within the next few days at a private screening. Should I watch the miniseries or read the book? Just wondering if certain scenes or references might go over my head or not. 

I would read the book but honestly you may just want to go in and experience the movie and then read the book after but if it is within the next few days you would really be a champ for reading the whole book and the book if you haven't read it before shouldn't be something that you rush, as far as the miniseries there would really be nothing gained from watching expect Tim Curry's performance as IT imo because it is chessy and actually quite goofy. But if you don't read the book before def read it after.  

Edited by theStun
  • Like 5

35 minutes ago, BoxOfficeZ said:

Question here. I might be seeing this within the next few days at a private screening. Should I watch the miniseries or read the book? Just wondering if certain scenes or references might go over my head or not. 

I'd say the reading the book ship has sailed (its over 1000 pages). Id give the miniseries a shot to familiarize yourself with the characters and story and after you've seen the film if you want pick up the book. 

• Like 1