Neo

It | Sept. 8, 2017 | Warner Brothers | Andy Muschietti directing. Trailer on Page 12 NO SPOILER DISCUSSION. Certified Fresh on Rotten Tomatoes

I'm debating about getting tickets now.  Obviously, I am going to see it, but i hate paying extra for no reason :P  

oh wait, I should be able to just to go the theater itself like I normally do.  Hmmm...that maybe the way to go.  Problem solved :D 

A bit of a circular argument here, but I also feel WB are the best for the theatrical release marketing, but they also use the most money (circular in the sense that if the audience react well to trailers you do and your marketing work, normal to spend more on it)

For example in 2015 :

http://variety.com/2015/film/news/mid-year-movie-report-warner-bros-dominates-top-tv-ad-budgets-1201539126/

They had 7 of the top 9 domestic tv spending of the summer (that is only TV and I would not surprise me only US not canada also), a lot of those are above 50/55m domestic release:

1. Get Hard (Warner Bros.): $44.5 million

2. Focus (Warner Bros.): $43.3 million

3. Mad Max: Fury Road (Warner Bros.): $41.8 million

4. Jupiter Ascending (Warner Bros.): $41 million

5. Entourage (Warner Bros.): $40.6 million

6. Run All Night (Warner Bros.): $39.3 million

7. Jurassic World (Universal): $32.4 million

8. Hot Pursuit (Warner Bros.)? $31.8 million

9. Furious 7 (Universal): $31.7 million

movie-tv-advertising-budgets-2.jpg?w=670

Would they not feel like the best, that would be an issue it does seem to be a part of their core strategy to go really big (Live by nights giant marketing budget for an recent example of that)

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, FantasticBeasts said:

Pretty much this, WB is ahead in my opinion. Disney's marketing is good of cource but as you said, their releases are already too safe to need anything extremely remarkable.

The Fact that WB has managed to have three very successful DC films in a role financially that ranged from diffusive to pretty bad WoM, shows they have the best marketing in the industry. for Disney POTC 5 got bad reviews and fell by a landslide, Cars 3 is struggling to hit $150m because of bad WoM. pretty much every original film they release bombs, don't get me wrong they are great at marketing brands, but no one is better at marketing then WB. (except for maybe Lego Batman). 

• Like 1

To all those talking about marketing...pretty sure WB wouldn't have built the full house on Hollywood Blvd if they had no faith in this thing. The experience itself isn't anything special and could learn a lot from events like Halloween Horror Nights (where they should move it too after this is out - lol) but is still really cool and doesn't spoil much for those that want to watch it. Love hearing what could be the score too. Sounds like this is going to have a lot of creepy piano.

Also heard from more people who saw it back in May in the comments here, naming the screening company, etc. and they have also said it's worth the wait. Hope they're right because that embargo is late. Can't wait to see the social media reactions in a few days if true.

Edited by somebody85

Alright, I've just seen it. That's a lot to process. Here are my first thoughts and this is from the perspective of a person who has never seen the mini-series and read the book (Was going to but realized I simply didn't have time before the showing).

Excellent horror movie overall for me. The cinematography is great. The soundtrack was very creepy. Some of the CGI is obvious, but you can't win everywhere. 

There's definitely jumpscares, I'm not a fan of them usually but they were executed well here. Guy who plays Pennywise is insane. He's fucking scary as hell and massive props to him. Kid who plays Bill was fantastic. Another shoutout to Eddie. They did a great job building up the kids relationships in the movie. Their chemistry is wonderful to watch on screen which unfortunately means you feel even more anxiety and terror for them.

In a film like this there was some really dark humor as well, which I did not expect. Film is also gorier then I'd imagined from first watching the trailer, but should have known since its r-rated. 

Might be unrelated but the film was pretty loud, but could have been just the sound system for that screening, who knows. 

Several people I went with to the screening told me the movie was a pretty good adaption of the book, not that I would know. I'll probably give it a rewatch in theaters after I read the book.

Edited by BoxOfficeZ
  • Like 28
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1