Neo

It | Sept. 8, 2017 | Warner Brothers | Andy Muschietti directing. Trailer on Page 12 NO SPOILER DISCUSSION. Certified Fresh on Rotten Tomatoes

2 minutes ago, DAR said:

So far I'm only 450 pages in the book but like the miniseries I'm finding the characters more compelling as kids than adults

I think that's the consensus for most people that read the book

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, DAR said:

So far I'm only 450 pages in the book but like the miniseries I'm finding the characters more compelling as kids than adults

Oh yeah.  I expect a huge drop between the first and second movies.  There's just no real way to make them more interesting.

Just now, DAR said:

I just flipped over to the miniseries.  Man they really cast Henry, Belch and Huggins as way too old.  It looks like a bunch of adults harassing some kids

totally agree even back then.  I guess they wanted to really show the vast difference in size and danger, but yes they are too old.

15 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

For a TV miniseries that was on ABC, it's good but I think the film can and will improve it as it's R rated. 

I would be surprised if it didn't improve on the miniseries. The R rating will definitely help.  I admit I've only read a little of the book so I cannot comment on it but from what I read it's obviously R rated and above.

The last time I watched the miniseries, what stuck out to me most were the cheesey match cuts in the first half. Young Bill puts his hand on his face, fade to adult Bill with his hand on his face. Young Ben is shaking his head back and forth, fade to adult Ben shaking his head back and forth. It's just so silly!

Personally, I do find the miniseries incredibly hokey and not very scary. But nostalgia, Tim Curry's performance and just the story itself elevate it a lot when looking back.

The ABC miniseries was more effective than theatrical work of Stephen King's in recent memory. This film should generate a big OW, I'm interested in this film. And WB can market tentpoles like we've seen this year with Dunkirk or Wonder Woman. Also I've never seen hype for a horror film like this period. I smell a huge hit. 

• Like 1

When I was a kid the miniseries was the most terrifying thing to me and I was a huge horror fan. When you watch it as an adult, while it's still decent enough (Part 1 is way better) all you can think of is this is the movie that I was so scared of ?

Actors and actresses wear wigs and die their hair. Fan casting too old actors just because of hair color (red, for example) is typical fan lack of imagination. I don't care how many awards nominations those suggestions have, they are wrong. In movies like this, the less exposed the actor/actress is the better. That's why the best horror mostly had unknowns who went to bigger things from there. Celebrity kills suspense and, no, not everyone has read the book or watched mini to know who lives and who does not. Unknowns and semi-knowns up the stakes. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Actors and actresses wear wigs and die their hair. Fan casting too old actors just because of hair color (red, for example) is typical fan lack of imagination. I don't care how many awards nominations those suggestions have, they are wrong. In movies like this, the less exposed the actor/actress is the better. That's why the best horror mostly had unknowns who went to bigger things from there. Celebrity kills suspense and, no, not everyone has read the book or watched mini to know who lives and who does not. Unknowns and semi-knowns up the stakes. 

I know you're talking about Chastain but hair color is a small factor in why she'd be cast. She's worked with the director before and has liked some of the posts related to the movie on Instagram. At this point she's a likely choice whether you like her as an actress or not. Plus the original miniseries was filled with known TV actors in the roles and given how huge a movie this is going to be not expecting A listers to want to be on board or for WB to not cast them is a little unrealistic. 

Edited by Rman823
  • Like 1

I'm curious to see who they get to play the adult versions. Wouldn't surprise me if the deals are already in place and they're just waiting until after this movie opens to officially announce them to fast track the project to next September (WB does have a horror film set for the same weekend next year that is currently TBA). Not expecting them to get any BIG names though.

Why is everyone spoiling the kids survive and what we see in the 2nd half are the adults versions? I know this is a book and whatever... but you guys know you are getting banned, right? I mean...

1 minute ago, CJohn said:

Why is everyone spoiling the kids survive and what we see in the 2nd half are the adults versions?

It has always been no secret that this story follows the kids into adulthood. Therefore, not a spoiler.

Edited by filmlover

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I'm curious to see who they get to play the adult versions. Wouldn't surprise me if the deals are already in place and they're just waiting until after this movie opens to officially announce them to fast track the project to next September (WB does have a horror film set for the same weekend next year that is currently TBA). Not expecting them to get any BIG names though.

I'm not expecting huge names but I'm pretty sure we'll see some familiar faces. Plus while it could just be support for a previous director  I'm taking this as a sign that Chastain's at least trying to get involved with the film. 

2 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Why is everyone spoiling the kids survive and what we see in the 2nd half are the adults versions? I know this is a book and whatever... but you guys know you are getting banned, right? I mean...

Not only is the adults returning part of the book's snyopsis but most have seen or are familiar with the miniseries featuring the adults.