Neo

It | Sept. 8, 2017 | Warner Brothers | Andy Muschietti directing. Trailer on Page 12 NO SPOILER DISCUSSION. Certified Fresh on Rotten Tomatoes

I think a smart move would be to shift the ads from featuring the scares to focusing on the adventure aspect after week 1.  Horror fans will watch it early and from there they will want to convince the non-horror fans and people who worry it is too scary to come watch.

The kids were all on GMA a couple of minutes ago and one of them extended a 'formal apology' to all the clowns lol.

I know they're keeping Bill Skarsgard away from the press circuit so people don't see his Abercrombie GQ-looking ass when they're supposed to see Pennywise, but I kinda wanted to hear more about his process. Maybe he'll get to take a victory lap on the late-night shows after IT is a huge hit.

I'm interested as to why they've kept Bill Skarsgard away from virtually all press so far.

Is it because they believe the crown jewel of the film to be the young cast / their chemistry / their loss of innocence and evolution etc - and want to showcase that?
Is it because Bill Skarsgard is distractingly  good looking - and they dont want the audience to look at this beautiful guy and wonder 'how on earth could he be a compelling / convincing evil killer child eating clown' before seeing the film (and get distracted during the film knowing what the guy underneath the makeup looks like)?

Is it because Bill Skarsgard is relatively unknown or better known as Alexanders brother?
Is it because they know the whole world is going to be talking about Pennywise and the actors performance soon (like heath ledgers joker to batman - aka WB is *that* confident in his performance), so they dont need to reveal any more than necessary of him or the actor early ?

Or is Bill being kept for a last minute media showcase in the days beforerelease, or to showcase immediately after release when the films enormous success becomes apparent (we know its a given at this point) and word of mouth kicks in as people naturally wonder WHO pennywise is, and they can show him off in a 'bet you didnt expect Pennywise to be THIS guy' big reveal? ("IT's been a hug hit with $XXX opening weekend - and now lets MEET THE STAR")

All the marketing for IT has been A+ outstanding so far, so i've got no doubt they have a very deliberate and specific reason for their action (or inaction)....

Edited by Tyrian

It might be that they want to keep it a surprise for everyone whose knowledge of this movie only extends to the marketing campaign and not the book/miniseries that (not really a spoiler since it's always been a part of the story but I'll tag it just in case)

Spoiler

Pennywise/IT

6 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I think Bill Skarsgard is busy shooting that new Hulu series he's on at the moment but I think they would've worked it out so that he could participate in the press tour for this. So no clue.

Man I can't wait for Castle Rock. I hope there are some references to IT especially with Bill in the show.

3 hours ago, filmlover said:

It might be that they want to keep it a surprise for everyone whose knowledge of this movie only extends to the marketing campaign and not the book/miniseries that (not really a spoiler since it's always been a part of the story but I'll tag it just in case)

Reveal hidden contents

This is exactly why they are keeping him out of the marketing. The director has already said that they deliberately kept him out of press conferences and interviews and so on. They want the audience to be surprised when they see his performance.